Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Draft-N WLAN Super Slow

Draft-N WLAN Super Slow
maae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2008, 05:58 AM

Hi all,

I have a problem when creating a wlan network between my iMac and MBA - both have BGN wifi, and the iMac is hosting a computer-computer network. The connection is there, however, it is extremely slow. Something like 15 min for transferring 40MB. Not exactly cool.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you in advance!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 10:01 AM

I think the first thing you should do is test the wireless connection with a different computer to see if the fault is with your iMac or MBA.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2008, 10:38 AM

For reasons I don't know/understand, computer-computer wifi networks usually end up much slower than infrastructure networks.

With draft-n routers down to $40, I'd just buy one and see if it helps.

maae  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2008, 11:33 AM

I've tested both seperately on different networks, both funktion perfectly when utilizing B or G WLAN. I have tried creating a network using a Samsung draft-N access point, and the result is the same. Super-duper slow. It really puzzles me.

Is there a way to enable/disable the N standard?

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 11:51 AM

Try this fix in a terminal window type:

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

Then type your password (if you have an administrative account).

I bet this helps. I searched for this fix since installing Leopard I've been having slowdowns on the wireless too for larger file transfers. I thought it might be neighborhood static from other people's wireless interference. Not so. Apparently OSX Leopard could use some tweaking.

Someone posted this to Apple's support forums and has a fix to enable it across restarts. I'm guessing Apple will have a patch/update soon that will correct these slowdowns.

maae  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2008, 03:51 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I have now connected my macbook to the internet via the iMac's internet sharing from ethernet over airport. That works. The speeds aren't exactly 300Mbps, but they are usable.

BTW, is there a way to see what standard the computers are using?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2008, 04:25 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules