Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Brand new Seagate external HD gets Filesystem verify/repair failed

Brand new Seagate external HD gets Filesystem verify/repair failed
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2014, 05:36 PM

I am trying to do a TM back up of my computer onto a Seagate Plus Back Up Slim, 1TB EHD and have gotten the error "Filesystem verify/repair failed" after I attempted to format it.

I just noticed on the Seagate box that the required OS is 10.6.8, but I am on Leopard, 10.5.8. Could this be the reason it won't work? I don't see the Seagate EHD in the finder, but it does show up in the disk utility window.

The reason I'm doing this full back up is that my new computer is on the UPS truck and should be here any minute, but before doing a migration I wanted to back up my internal hard drive on the old Macbook.

Don't know if this is related, but a few days ago the screen went to black, thus prompting my decision to get a new MacBook Pro. I'm typing this with an external monitor hooked up to the old macbook.

Also, how can I safely eject the EHD if I can't see it in the finder?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 1, 2014, 05:43 PM

Disk Utility has an Eject button along the top of the window. What format and partition scheme does Disk Utility show for the drive today?

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Disk Utility has an Eject button along the top of the window. What format and partition scheme does Disk Utility show for the drive today?
Well so it does. Thanks!

Sorry, don't know what you mean by "what format and partition scheme does Disk Utility show for the drive today?"

reader50
Administrator
Dec 1, 2014, 06:21 PM

Select the drive icon in Disk Utility. At the bottom of the window it will show a few pieces of information. Maybe something like this:

S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

Now select one of the volumes under the drive icon. The bottom info will show something like:

Format : Mac OS Extended

Those are the info pieces I was asking for.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2014, 06:47 PM

I just formatted the Seagate disk using another Macbook that had 10.6.8 and I think it's working. The disk is visible in the Finder and Time Machine was able to find it. It appears to be doing a TM back up on my old computer because I see the window with the blue bar filling with "6.80 GB of 426.68 GB"etc.

To your other points I see S.M.A.R.T. Status: Not Supported and Format: Mac OS Extended Journaled but that is grayed out at the moment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules