Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Carbon Copy Cloner and two hard drives?

Carbon Copy Cloner and two hard drives?
ChadC
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2005, 03:24 PM

So I have an iBook and a PowerMac which i am going to sell when my PowerBook comes in. I also have a 100gig internal HD that I am going to buy a firewire enclosure for. My idea is to use Carbon Copy Cloner to make two bootable partitions of the 100 gig HD with the partitions being the HD from the PowerMac and iBook. Is this possible? Has anyone tried anything like this?

Thanks,
Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2005, 03:40 PM

Yes! I do this all the time.

I mostly use CCC in two modes:

1) regular (hah!) backups of our laptops, I use CCC to clone to a disc image

2) when I swapped the HD out of my iBook (I also have a FW enclosure), I cloned the old HD onto the new HD first, then did the physical replacement.

The only thing you have to watch out for is how the OS "Blesses" bootable partitions. It is not sufficient to just copy everything over using CCC, You need to "bless" it to make the partition directly bootable. For instance, when I changed the HD in my PB, I wasn't able to get it to boot right away. I needed to plug in my old HD (The one in the FW enclosure, remember?), boot into the OS, and select the new HD in the System Preferences panel. That "Blessed" the drive and I was all set from there.

I think the newest version of CCC may have the option of "Blessing" the cloned drive that you make, but I'm not sure....

Forum Links
Forum Rules