Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is Bob Corker considered a RINO now?

Is Bob Corker considered a RINO now?
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 9, 2017, 03:46 PM

How does it work? He's dragged Trump in the media but last I checked his politics haven't changed.

Also, curious if anyone has an opinion about why he's decided to start talking. Decision not to run for reelection aside.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2017, 07:11 PM

Because he decided not to run for reelec...

Oh, never mind.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2017, 08:35 PM

He's one of my senators, and he's had a bee up his ass ever since Jeb! didn't get the nomination.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

OreoCookie
Oct 9, 2017, 11:37 PM

What other explanation is there? He has nothing to lose, ditto for John McCain who no longer has to worry about repercussions (e. g. by being primaried by a nut job). McCain decided to use his last hoorah to get the Senate back to its former procedural glory while Corker decided to openly oppose Trump. Corker just says in public what many Republicans say behind closed doors anyway. Perhaps Corker wants to be the one to get the ball rolling as far as impeachment goes by making it possible for Republicans to openly say what they think about him and his administration.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2017, 12:00 AM

Impeachment for what? Being mean? Saying uncouth things on his personal Twitter?

OreoCookie
Oct 10, 2017, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Impeachment for what? Being mean? Saying uncouth things on his personal Twitter?
I think that Corker thinks that Trump's behavior is a danger to the GOP, the US and the world, and that he'll use this opportunity to try and remove him from office. Impeachment is a political affair after all, not a criminal one.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2017, 01:24 AM

True enough, and somewhat knowing Corker, met him one three occassions, he's a very pro-party Republican.

OreoCookie
Oct 10, 2017, 01:33 AM

True enough, and somewhat knowing Corker, met him one three occassions, he's a very pro-party Republican.
Sure, and because usually the career of the person who (figuratively speaking) murders the king is destroyed in the process as well, it makes sense if Corker did just that after announcing he won't seek re-election.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2017, 01:35 AM

Won't matter, really. There's not nearly enough support for removing Trump, and the blowback against the Repubs in general would kill them for generations, if not entirely.

OreoCookie
Oct 10, 2017, 02:31 AM

Won't matter, really. There's not nearly enough support for removing Trump, and the blowback against the Repubs in general would kill them for generations, if not entirely.
That's a separate question, and I'm inclined to agree. Most likely, the Republicans in Congress want to wait and see what happens in the mid-term elections. I think this is a very dangerous gamble, say what you want about Trump's approval numbers, but his are much higher than those of Congress. If the GOP loses more seats than expected, it'll be too late to play the principled conservative. And if they don't, they'll continue down the path where ordinary Republicans will get out-primaried by nut jobs. Eventually, ordinary conservatives could break away from the GOP, and if that happens, it'll be over.

Regarding Corker specifically, it would have come across as more principled if he had maintained his opposition from the primaries throughout — it was not as if there was any recent revelation about Trump that fundamentally changed how we looked at the President. The only thing that did change is Corker's announcement that he would retire after serving out his term. On the other hand, Corker isn't a nobody, he is the head of the foreign relations committee in the Senate and has quite a bit of seniority. The odds aren't in his favor, but they aren't zero either.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 10, 2017, 11:50 AM

Are republicans that refuse to repudiate his comments tacitly endorsing them?

Another GOPer that's not coming back agrees with him (Dent-PA)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2017, 09:51 AM

Some shots fired on lol be tv this morning. The twist being there's a GOP lunch with Trump today

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2017, 03:20 PM

I won't ask since I'm pretty sure people think Flake is a RINO.

Strange coincidence how GOP congressmen who don't have to get reelected keep calling out Trump

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2017, 07:06 PM

Ross Douthat had a good point that of these guys think Trump is so dangerous they should be pushing for impeachment. It's a valid point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules