Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where To Buy Men's Hats/Caps Online

Where To Buy Men's Hats/Caps Online
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 12:14 PM

I'm trying to find an old-world haberdasher/hat/cap shop online so that I can try and find some high-quality caps for my Dad -- the ones like he used to wear growing up. All kids of places sell the cheap caps that are low quality and "one size fits all" -- but I want something that's made by a true craftsman.

Anyone know of any such places? It seems like this is yet another "art" that the modern world is letting slip through its fingers...

I'm looking, in particular, for 24 1/4 inch (7.75 hat size) herringbone caps and the like, similar to this style:

The above site is the only one I can find, though. Maybe I suck at teh intarnet?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2007, 01:32 PM

Sorry, can't help, I get all my hats here:

MLB.com Shop - New York Mets: Caps

But I'd be interested in knowing what you find, as not everyone on my list, shocking as it may seem, would appreciate blue and orange haberdashery.... Your best bet might be finding an old-school haberdasher in your area and having one made. Or, use teh Intarweb to get in contact with an overseas haberdasher, and see if they will take these worthless dollars of ours as payment.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 01:37 PM

Beauchapeau On-line Store

You should be able to find caps like the above in many British/Irish stores. I've got a number of Harris Tweed caps, bought at The Royal Winter Fair here in Toronto.

Also, kangol brand web site make good caps. Maybe a tad young for your dad though.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2007, 01:47 PM

I bought a fedora here, but they have other styles.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I'm trying to find an old-world haberdasher/hat/cap shop online so that I can try and find some high-quality caps for my Dad -- the ones like he used to wear growing up. All kids of places sell the cheap caps that are low quality and "one size fits all" -- but I want something that's made by a true craftsman.

Anyone know of any such places? It seems like this is yet another "art" that the modern world is letting slip through its fingers...

I'm looking, in particular, for 24 1/4 inch (7.75 hat size) herringbone caps and the like, similar to this style:

The above site is the only one I can find, though. Maybe I suck at teh intarnet?
i like those hats. i try to make every Dropkick Murphy show when they come to town and for this current tour they were here last Wednesday...any hoo, i've never noticed before but i'd say a good 1/3 of the guys in attendance where all wearing those. i LOLd. i either never noticed before or now that is the thing to do for this type show.

and now back to your thread...i don't know where to buy them online; locally there are a few stores that sell them at mens suit places.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the links. I found this store and grabbed a couple: NogginTops
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 04:01 PM

Great site - just snagged myself an Irish walking hat. Excellent!

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 08:23 PM

Dude, I bought myself one, too!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 10:44 PM

Once they've arrived we should post pics

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2007, 01:32 PM

I got one of the Irish flat caps in brown.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2007, 10:10 PM

Yes, let's post pics! I also grabbed the Brown Herringbone Flat Cap! My wife thinks I'm nuts and will never wear them, but I told her in less than 2 months, I'll have half the city wearing them -- just wait!

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2007, 10:11 PM

Pics of hats I bought (so everyone gets a look at them):

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 12:11 AM

I've got five different flat cap models and I wear them all the time. Two Harris Tweed that look exactly like the top model in your picture. One Irish cap that's a little wider. One in grey felt and one from Kangol in a summer fabric. They rule - and the wife loves them.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2007, 01:52 AM

Looks like you've found your store, but just thought I'd drop in a link to where I usually shop. Their quality is outstanding, the prices are good, and they ship very quickly.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Sorry, can't help, I get all my hats here:

MLB.com Shop - New York Mets: Caps

But I'd be interested in knowing what you find, as not everyone on my list, shocking as it may seem, would appreciate blue and orange haberdashery.... Your best bet might be finding an old-school haberdasher in your area and having one made. Or, use teh Intarweb to get in contact with an overseas haberdasher, and see if they will take these worthless dollars of ours as payment.
Anyone who thinks they're too good for a Mets cap isn't good enough for your gift list.

doglover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2007, 05:12 PM

Stetson.com

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2007, 05:15 PM

"Vernacular? Dat's a doiby!"

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 02:07 PM

A hat update: here's a shot of 1 of my 7...a brown herringbone Irish Walking Hat from Hanna Hats.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 04:36 PM

Drop Kick Murphys are awesome
we don't have time to stop for gas

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Drop Kick Murphys are awesome
yes they are. have you seen them live yet? awesome shows; fully of energy. and now they finish with an old Meatmen song called 'Alcohol'. i miss the Meatmen

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 05:57 PM

If you were really a fan, you'd know it was Dropkick Murphys.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2007, 02:50 PM

i do. my original post to yours spelled it correctly. i'm not one to go around correcting people's threads.

Forum Links
Forum Rules