Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Slightly Ill Powerbook?

Slightly Ill Powerbook?
iMacfan
Senior User
Aug 9, 2005, 05:42 PM

Hello,

I've been very happy with my 12" PB which I got new as a replacement last fall. However, over the past week, Ive had a couple of hiccups. Firstly, there have been (my first) two hard crashes - the one when the curtain comes down and it says that you need to hold down the power key. These have been when I've been taxing the computer a bit - i.e. launching a couple of apps at the same time. Also, there have on a couple of occasions been the odd beeping sound, which doesn't sound like the normal system sounds - maybe coming from the hard drive?

Anyhow, does anyone have any advice on what to do? I haven't even repaired permissions - would this help, or a complete reinstall? I last did this when the computer was new, if at all. Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2005, 09:28 PM

Start from the software DVD that came with your Powerbook. Run utilities, repair permissions. If that doesn't work I recommend Disk Warrior. Works great!

albyrw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2005, 09:38 PM

That beeping sound you're hearing might just be the hard drive telling you it's gonna fail: mine did that for a couple of weeks before I took it in and had it replaced. There's a little piezo speaker attached to the hard drive controller that beeps periodically when the HD's on its last legs. You can tell the difference because the sound comes from inside the case, not the speakers: plug in some turned off speakers and see if it still happens. If so, Back up then and there and take it in!

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2005, 11:13 PM

There's a freeware app called SmartReporter that purports to tell you when your hard drive is approaching the end of its earthly journey. Might want to see what it says....

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 15, 2005, 11:01 AM

FWIW, the "you need to restart your computer" message is a "kernel panic", not a hard crash. A hard crash/freeze is when you get no message, where everything, including the mouse pointer, just stops.

Anyway, a kernel panic (not a hard crash) has the benefit of being able to save a log file. If you open the Console utility, you can find the "panic.log" file and see if the last few lines contain anything, such as a clear hardware failure. (I had I/O errors on panics when my logic board went south.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules