Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New to iPod: should I get Applecare?

New to iPod: should I get Applecare?
dennisbolt
Jul 26, 2004, 10:10 PM

Just ordered the new iPod. Should I have, or should I now get applecare for it?? Do i need to buy the applecare before a set time after buying the ipod? I have applecare for my 17" PB, so understand the need. (ps, I haven't even opened the Applecare box from my PB purchase-did I need to activate anything?)

But do you think it is worth it for something that is "almost" disposable and replaceable after just a year or two. I understand that the battery is "not" removable, and if it goes bad, Apple has to replace it?

Also, what should a new owner do or have when getting started with an iPod (besides removed the previously mentioned residue) . I of course have itunes and plenty of songs to load. I got the 40gig, so will be getting the dock. I am interested in a case, but unsure which to get...and a way to transfer digital photos from cards is cool. Any other must haves or must dos?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 11:10 PM

It's really a personal preference. I think that for an iPod, applecare is a waste of money. You can get it if your worried about something happening to it, but like you said in a few years its gonna be time for a new one!
Also, with the powerbook applecare, if you got a certificate from apple then your all set. If not, then I'd open the box and see what you need to do. (I bought applecare for an iMac about a year ago and I forgot how I activated it, but I do know you get a certificate.)

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 02:37 AM

dennisbolt, you can activate your AppleCare for the PowerBook here: http://www.apple.com/support/selfservice/agreements

After you register, you should receive a certificate from the mail.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

snct
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by dennisbolt:

Also, what should a new owner do or have when getting started with an iPod (besides removed the previously mentioned residue) . I of course have itunes and plenty of songs to load. I got the 40gig, so will be getting the dock. I am interested in a case, but unsure which to get...and a way to transfer digital photos from cards is cool. Any other must haves or must dos?
If you're worried about scratches or finger prints then I would get a case for it. IMHO, the chrome just doesn't look good at all with finger prints all over it... I'll be getting my new 4G 40GB today and I already have the case waiting for it. I ordered the leather case from Belkin which I think is pretty nice for the money.
--Steve

dividend
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 12:02 PM

i got applecare for my ipod just before the one-year warranty was over. don't know if it is worth it, but it is still not veryu much money and you have easy of mind. at least, you are unlikely to have to buy a new one within a year.

furi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 09:34 PM

Whatever you do, get applecare. I regret it with my iBook purchase since is literally falling apart and it's just a bit over a year old.

kenaustus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 10:13 PM

The first time was when I "switched" to a PB 2+ years ago. Since it has more than paid for itself I bought AC again when I replaced the old PB and when I bought a 4G iPod. It's cheap insurance and has been worth it for me. I'll also get it when I order a G5 iMac on Day 1.

You do need to activate AppleCare. Open the box and follow the instructions. Basically you need the serial number on the iPod (or computer) and the serial number from the AppleCare box. All instructions are in the box and it's easy.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 01:12 AM

I've had two repairs on my iPod under Applecare. After 3 (6?) months most repairs will cost you $199 or so + s&h. With AppleCare the cost is bupkis. One repair and AppleCare is paid for.

I wouldn't get an iPod without the plan now. (It's why my G2 iPod is still useful and not a trash decoration.)

I'm not sure I am going to get it for my G5 yet though. (Perhaps that's for another thread) <GRIN>
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules