Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook broken... again!

TiBook broken... again!
Thread Tools
gwright
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 14, 2003, 02:04 PM
 
Some may remember my story about my tibook on http://zorian.ath.cx/defective.html. Well, I received the tibook back again from Apple and it worked for a few weeks, but it seems they didn't fix my right hand speaker properly last time as it's not working anymore!

Any ideas what I should do about it? I can't really contact Apple as I have a strange extended warranty agreement (I have an extended warranty with another company and they pay Apple to repair it outside warranty). Hence the blame for the dodgey repairs is ultimately Apple's fault, but I have to make all requests etc via the other company.

This is starting to get a bit stupid, as 4 repair trips and over 12 weeks in repair is absurd IMHO.
     
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 14, 2003, 03:35 PM
 
Just return the machine, and ask them to replace it with one of a 'suitable' quality...

In the UK at least, once you have had 4 repairs, Apple will replace the whole thing anyway....
     
gwright  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 14, 2003, 04:22 PM
 
Can't do that - it's inside it's second year. I'm contemplating writing to PC World (the funky dudes I have my warranty with) requesting a replacement. It may be Apple's policy to replace after four repairs, but Apple's policies don't apply here. It's all PC World policy.

- George

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Just return the machine, and ask them to replace it with one of a 'suitable' quality...

In the UK at least, once you have had 4 repairs, Apple will replace the whole thing anyway....
     
mrmister
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 14, 2003, 04:31 PM
 
Hmmm. Sounds like your problem is PCWorld, then. Too bad you can't get a replacement from Apple.
     
crispinwilliams
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: geneva, switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 14, 2003, 04:36 PM
 
I guess this is a stupid question - but are you sure your right speaker is dead? I thought my right speaker had died - but found that the balance control (found in system prefs-sound-output) had got set all the way to one side - worth a check?
ciao Crispin
     
iWrite
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 14, 2003, 04:55 PM
 
Yet another example of why buying any warranty other than AppleCare is not very smart.
     
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 14, 2003, 05:19 PM
 
PC World... ah.

I would speak to the store manager, and play absolute hell. I would then, if you get no luck, go through their head office, and play hell there... Phone them, Fax them, email them, and lay it on thick... (Student, reliant on the machine, constant repair etc etc)

If you have no luck then, take them to the 'Small Claims court'. This costs about 20, you can do it yourself, and you don't need a lawyer. I bet they would sort something out before it gets there... (If you want advice on this PM me.)

From past experience, and I don't know if this is the case (but I think it is), PC World don't send their repairs to Apple, but to a company who do 'authorised repairs'. (used to be 'Mastercare', but changed now...)... Apple machines are <1% of the repairs they do... Not good. They could even be responsible for the past problems you have had after the first repair...

I am pretty sure Apple don't get involved in PC world stuff, as if so, the machine would have been sent to Holland to the 'Apple European Repair Centre'. This is the ONLY place that Apple let touch their laptops... All Apple UK repairs are sent there.

For future reference, I would only ever consider buying extended Applecare, or using a 'John Lewis' warranty... 2 years, no questions asked comes as standard...

Good luck with it,

Marc
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Jul 14, 2003 at 05:29 PM. )
     
gwright  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 14, 2003, 06:36 PM
 
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm probably going to be writing to PC World's head office anyway. They do go thru Mastercare - but only for PCs. For Macs they seem to contract an independant company called "Equinox" who then pay Apple to fix it. I know that they send the machine to the Netherlands or Germany to be repaired - there are central repair stations in both countries.

To iWrite - thanks for the advice about Applecare, but it's a bit late now I got the PC World one as I didn't know about Applecare and I was very pleased with their service on my older PC laptop. This PowerBook is my first Mac.

Next time I get a Mac, it will definitely be covered by Applecare, as it seems to be a much better service overall.

Thanks a lot for all your support,

- George


Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
PC World... ah.

I would speak to the store manager, and play absolute hell. I would then, if you get no luck, go through their head office, and play hell there... Phone them, Fax them, email them, and lay it on thick... (Student, reliant on the machine, constant repair etc etc)

If you have no luck then, take them to the 'Small Claims court'. This costs about 20, you can do it yourself, and you don't need a lawyer. I bet they would sort something out before it gets there... (If you want advice on this PM me.)

From past experience, and I don't know if this is the case (but I think it is), PC World don't send their repairs to Apple, but to a company who do 'authorised repairs'. (used to be 'Mastercare', but changed now...)... Apple machines are <1% of the repairs they do... Not good. They could even be responsible for the past problems you have had after the first repair...

I am pretty sure Apple don't get involved in PC world stuff, as if so, the machine would have been sent to Holland to the 'Apple European Repair Centre'. This is the ONLY place that Apple let touch their laptops... All Apple UK repairs are sent there.

For future reference, I would only ever consider buying extended Applecare, or using a 'John Lewis' warranty... 2 years, no questions asked comes as standard...

Good luck with it,

Marc
     
gwright  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 14, 2003, 06:38 PM
 
Yeh, I'm sure it's not in the software. I reset the pram, went into OF and reset everything, I checked the balance in OS X. It's the same behaviour (right speaker not working) in both OS X and Linux.

- George

Originally posted by crispinwilliams:
I guess this is a stupid question - but are you sure your right speaker is dead? I thought my right speaker had died - but found that the balance control (found in system prefs-sound-output) had got set all the way to one side - worth a check?
ciao Crispin
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,