Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 36)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
What I want out of these newer systems is a lot more power to bring in some better AI.
That strikes me as more of programming issue than a horsepower issue. Perhaps it's a "Build it and they will come" issue, but look at stuff like open world games and processor and memory are always tied up in render distance, texture quality, and variety and quantity of entities first. AI, second.

I mentioned in the Red Dead Redemption thread, but the barebones motif of the old west lends itself well to world-building. I don't think it's coincidence it's one of the most stunning games I've seen on console this gen.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Even if its $500, it'll sell. These are living-room-connected-to-TVs-computers; gamers and film renters don't give a shit whats inside. CoD, Halo, Gears and Lionhead are probably enough to guarantee good sales for the Xbox 720
Let's not get too carried away here. The PS3 ate it hard riding a wave of goodwill and success still unmatched in the PS2. MS can certainly bite it on a pricing misstep with greater ease.

Sony will have to match MS for price. If they release before MS at an 'interesting' price, then they'll probably do well, but take a hit short/med term financially (is this acceptable atm, not sure in the present climate). If they come out after they have to be cheaper AND better. Remember MS have deep pockets, Sony don't.
This is where Sony seems truly ****ed for next gen. They can't release first because they need every single day of PS3 sales they can get. And they can't sell at a drastic loss (again) because of the bath they took on the PS3 and Blu-Ray. I'm curious which way they will go – conservative, leaving margin for, uh, margin and aiming to improve on the PS3 without totally outclassing it or repeating the same exact mistakes from this gen.

I'm morbidly curious.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That strikes me as more of programming issue than a horsepower issue. Perhaps it's a "Build it and they will come" issue, but look at stuff like open world games and processor and memory are always tied up in render distance, texture quality, and variety and quantity of entities first. AI, second.
I'd say it is both. The AI programming is all going through the same system resources as everything else. That was the reason for the multicore architecture, to split some of these tasks apart, freeing up some of these common glitches we still have. (Redraw distance, texture popping, etc). I remember programmers stating that they used a core for strictly AI in some games on the PS3. However, the biggest issue with all the systems seems to be RAM.

P
Jun 14, 2012, 04:24 AM

Intel integrated graphics won't run the newest games (at the very least in purdy mode), and if we can get to place where it does, I guarantee you whatever cheap-ass tech is being used will also go into the consoles.

...and that is even factoring the couch vs. desk philosophy.
I'm predicting that Intel integrated graphics WILL run the newest games at a quality level comparable to consoles, and that they will do so in a way that consoles may be hard-pressed to match.

I've spoken about this here before, but it's technical enough that you may be forgiven for missing it. There is a technique to put RAM on the back of the CPU as a sort of large external last level cache by using an interposer. IBM does it on their POWER CPUs, and have 64 MB of so-called eDRAM on the 45nm process. On the 32nm shrink (POWER 7+), they will extend this, but have not said to how much yet.

The point about this sort of backside memory is that the memory bandwidth is essentially free. 512bit memory bus is not a problem, so even if you run the clockspeed of that RAM fairly low, you still get a massive bandwidth. The only issue with this is that if you put more silicon onto the back of the chip, that inhibits how much energy you can dissipate from the chip itself.

This is where the math comes together so nicely. A bit of eDRAM like this on the back of a portable CPU will give it memory bandwidth comparable to current midrange cards (say a 7770), and the CPU will have to run cool enough anyway to get good battery life, so the heat will not be an issue. All you need is a process to make these cool chips and technical skills to make the packaging with the eDRAM - two things that Intel has and two things the console makers will have trouble matching. IBM often makes the CPUs, and they have good processes and do use eDRAM already, but that's not where you need the eDRAM. You need it on the GPU, and there's your problem. nVidia or AMD, those graphics are made at TSMC, a company which is struggling mightily with getting a few chips out the door at 28nm. Putting interposers on them? Don't make me laugh - and anyway, console tend to launch at older nodes for secure supply, so they'll launch at a hotter 40nm or 45nm process.

If Intel truly puts eDRAM on Haswell as rumored and they manage to make the drivers perform adequately for once (a big if, granted), I think that the consoles are in trouble as a dedicated gaming solution. As more of an AppleTV competitor, sure, but the dedicated console market I do not have long term faith in.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2012, 09:05 AM

The irony being that MS uses IBMs Power CPUs.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2012, 09:47 AM

And Sony partnered with IBM for thiers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2012, 09:49 AM

And Sony partnered with IBM for thiers.
...but that's the cell.

P
Jun 14, 2012, 10:14 AM

Yes, I know that IBM makes CPUs for all three console manufacturers, but it doesn't make the GPU for anyone, and it is on the GPU that you need this. Or you need an integrated graphics of some quality, which would likely move you to AMD.

(FFR: The X360 uses a specially design tricore processor that uses the PPC ISA. The PS3 obviously uses the Cell, with one PPC core and 7 (or 6, or 8, depending on how you count) vector cores with a different ISA). Nintendo uses an off-shelf PPC part for both the Wii and Gamecube.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2012, 02:03 PM

Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero dev building Call of Duty - GameSpot.com
Activision has tapped yet another studio to work on the Call of Duty series. According to Neversoft's newly updated website, the Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero studio has joined Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Raven Software, and Sledgehammer Games in working on the series.

"We have molded our team into a crack squad of eager developers ready to push the first-person action genre in support of Activision's Call of Duty franchise," reads Neversoft's new splash page.
Christ, keep putting those eggs in one basket. I have to imagine Neversoft was interested in doing CoD< but if Infinity Ward's past is any indication, Activision doesn't know a good pitch if it sees one.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2012, 04:11 PM

Gamasutra - News - Four keys to next-gen success, according to Take-Two's Zelnick
While Nintendo fell short of its goal of whipping gamers into a frenzy for the Wii U at this year's E3, third-party publishers, who see the system as a key driver of future growth, were reticent to downplay its potential. Instead, they cited the system's long-term potential, rather than its initial impact.

"We haven't announced anything," says Zelnick on the possibility of moving the company's mature titles onto the Wii U. "I'm skeptical."
History repeating itself.

While more and more companies are rolling out new versions of their biggest hits each year to ensure a steady (and, ideally, reliable) stream of income, don't expect Take-Two to follow that model anytime soon.

There's a risk in overexposing your key franchises, says Zelnick. And while doing so might give a company a tremendous short- (and even mid-) term cash boost, the practice can ultimately leave money on the table.
I like these guys.

P
Jun 15, 2012, 05:10 PM

I like these guys.
So do I, but 9 years seems a little overmuch.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2012, 07:25 PM

Mother-of-All-Microsoft-Leaks Details Xbox 720 Tech, Roll-Out Plans | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

And if you try to get the leaked document at Scribd : This content was removed at the request of Covington & Burling LLP

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2012, 11:12 PM

Interesting. I'll wait and see if it's true. I like the idea of it having blu-ray.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2012, 11:49 AM

Am I the only one who thinks "XBox 720" would be a terrible name?
- In the HD era, calling it the XBox 720 would confuse non-techies who might think it stands for 720p. I can imagine the questions at Best Buys around the country.
- What about the next console? XBox 1080? When would it stop?
- 720 is a terrible number from a marketing standpoint. The connotation behind the 360 is that of a full revolution -- 720 just sounds dizzy.

That said, they couldn't really call it the XBox 3, since it would sound like it was eternally playing catch-up to an eventual PS4. I just hate 720.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2012, 12:30 PM

How about real product names instead on all this 'i' and 'e' and 1,2,3 sh*t! Hell I even prefer code names, to be honest. Years and number are just tired, after all thie Office and Windows naming, IMO.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 17, 2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
- 720 is a terrible number from a marketing standpoint. The connotation behind the 360 is that of a full revolution -- 720 just sounds dizzy.
If I remeber correctly microsofts initial focus groups prior to launch felt the Xbox 2 would be inferior to the Playstation 3, because of this consumer reaction Microsoft changed the name to 360 so the "3" would keep consumer mindset that they were an equal generation while the "2" implied in testing the Xbox was inferior.

P
Jun 17, 2012, 01:42 PM

Yes, that's the way I heard it as well. Especially with the PS3 launching a year after, there was a definite chance that the number would give the impression of a newer superior model.

And I agree that 720 would be a terrible name.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 17, 2012, 01:52 PM

720 is a terrible name I just hope we don't get stuck in the # game with consumer perception and get "Xbox 4ever" or something ridiculous

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2012, 01:22 PM

They're going to follow Apple's lead and name it "The New Xbox."

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2012, 06:01 AM

Big XBL update in progress atm. For those that are in the know, anything special in it?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 20, 2012, 06:34 AM

Absolutley nothing, just backround preparation for the Fall 12' update.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
So do I, but 9 years seems a little overmuch.
Was Max Payne in development that long?

There's also LA Noire, but that had quite troubled existence with Sony.

Niiiiice. Sounds like its legit, too.

Am I the only one who thinks "XBox 720" would be a terrible name?
Terrible, no. Bleh, yeah.

- In the HD era, calling it the XBox 720 would confuse non-techies who might think it stands for 720p. I can imagine the questions at Best Buys around the country.
Non-techies don't even know what 720p is. They know it as "HD".

- What about the next console? XBox 1080? When would it stop?
Interestingly, that's where I would have gone with it. 1080 has some panache thanks to Tony Hawk. Then again, this isn't the 90s.

Don't worry, in a world of 380s, I'm sure the average american has no clue how many revolutions that is.

How about real product names instead on all this 'i' and 'e' and 1,2,3 sh*t! Hell I even prefer code names, to be honest. Years and number are just tired, after all thie Office and Windows naming, IMO.
**** no. Give me a list of all the OS Xs by codename and I can't tell you what order they came out in. There's a simplicity to PS2, PS3 that works. MSs problem is they got fancy.

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
If I remeber correctly microsofts initial focus groups prior to launch felt the Xbox 2 would be inferior to the Playstation 3, because of this consumer reaction Microsoft changed the name to 360 so the "3" would keep consumer mindset that they were an equal generation while the "2" implied in testing the Xbox was inferior.
For once, I agree with marketing.

Anyway I believe the reason they went with 720 is simple - name recognition. Gamer and the press have been referring to the next XBOX as such for a while (though for gamers it was tongue-in-cheek).

The other thing of note is this leak is apparently from 2010? So there's plenty of time for them to change their minds.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2012, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Absolutley nothing, just backround preparation for the Fall 12' update.
I assume they showed some of what was coming at E3, but I'll be damned if I remember anything.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2012, 09:52 AM

The XBOX 720. We started at 0, went all the way around, now we're going all the way around again. Are you dizzy yet? Yes, good, buy this.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2012, 12:40 PM

**** no. Give me a list of all the OS Xs by codename and I can't tell you what order they came out in. There's a simplicity to PS2, PS3 that works. MSs problem is they got fancy.
No one got confused by SNES, Nintendo64, Wii and Wii U? Besides if its the current machine out, who cares what the others are named?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2012, 12:46 PM

No one got confused by SNES, Nintendo64, Wii and Wii U? Besides if its the current machine out, who cares what the others are named?
I don't know if there was any confusion between the NES & SNES, but the Wii U has not been fairing well, as many people are thinking it's an add-on to the existing system.

Edit: Gamecube got confused with XBOX a decent amount, if I recall.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2012, 02:20 PM

Nintendo: Wii U could become "preferred" Call of Duty platform &bull; News &bull; Wii U &bull; Eurogamer.net

Now, normally I'd assume this is an opinion piece, based on using the hardware...

"Do we want to reach out to the core audience? Absolutely," Nintendo of America marketing exec Scott Moffitt explained to GameSpot. "They're very much part of our audience and the group of consumers we hope will find the way you can re-imagine games on the Wii U.

"The Wii U could become the preferred way to play those games for some of the core gamers."
...it's nothing more than a publicly stated dream. I mean, this isn't news except it's so sad it's news.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2012, 02:24 PM

Gonna be fun to see the deaths players will get while looking at their controller map.

P
Jun 20, 2012, 03:48 PM

Was Max Payne in development that long?

There's also LA Noire, but that had quite troubled existence with Sony.
9 years was the time between the announcement of Max Payne 3 (right after the Max Payne 2 launch) and the launch. I don't think the development was started anywhere close to 9 years ago, though.

The problem is that shooters have evolved so much over the last 9 years, and MP3 gets whiplash from trying to catch up with all that change while attempting to stay true to what made the original great. The result is gameplay that feels like CoD single player, and Bullet Time just a little spice that doesn't affect gameplay very much. I was seriously considering turning the difficulty down just to see the storyline conclusion.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2012, 03:51 PM

Gonna be fun to see the deaths players will get while looking at their controller map.
I could see it useful for swapping load-outs in the fly, but it just sums up what the problem with this stuff is – all its contributions to core games seem superfluous and non-essential.

(Obviously we have to wait and see what developers come up with)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2012, 09:50 AM

9 years was the time between the announcement of Max Payne 3 (right after the Max Payne 2 launch) and the launch. I don't think the development was started anywhere close to 9 years ago, though.

The problem is that shooters have evolved so much over the last 9 years, and MP3 gets whiplash from trying to catch up with all that change while attempting to stay true to what made the original great. The result is gameplay that feels like CoD single player, and Bullet Time just a little spice that doesn't affect gameplay very much. I was seriously considering turning the difficulty down just to see the storyline conclusion.
DNF syndrome. Understandable.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2012, 09:51 AM

Real or fake?
I quit my job for this. My wife will kill me - Forums - Diablo III
So I didn't tell my wife, but I quit my job last week to farm and sell on the RMAH. Without explicitly stating how much I was making a day - we would have lived VERY comfortably.

However, with the introduction of this new patch I will not be able to farm as fast as I used to due to my damage dropping dramatically. Not only that, but if I do fight things that can be sold - the prices are dramatically decreasing because the itemization is really poor right now. Nobody wants to buy on the RMAH right now.

I will not be able to get my job back and I will not be able to live off the RMAH anymore... Blizzard please fix your game or my life is ruined. My wife will probably leave me.
Ok guys, just wanted to update everyone.

I was pumping myself up to break the news to my wife after dinner. I really wanted to do it. But over dinner she told me that her Father is in critical condition. This may sound weird and scumbaggy, but her father is loaded and she is the only heir. So we won't be hurting financially.

I think what I will do is wait for this whole father thing to blow over before telling her because she is already very devastated. I'm just going to leave early each morning and pretend to go to work. I'll probably just hang out at a Starbucks and use their internet connection to play for a few hours before going back home.

This has been a very terrible week for my wife and myself.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2012, 11:14 AM

Bet she divorces him.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2012, 11:15 AM

Fake! If it looks too good to be true, it's got to be a scam or fake.

Playing games all day is every gamer's dream. But I don't see it happening (except of course for the rare Pro player).
( Last edited by Leonard; Jun 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2012, 06:27 AM

3DS XL is coming on July 28th in Japan, 4.88" top screen and 4.18" bottom screen, 4GB SD card in the box and a (slightly) longer lasting battery - 3DS LL hardware refresh on July 28 in Japan, packs 4.88 inch top screen and 4.18 inch bottom screen | Joystiq

Edit: Current 3DS has 3" and 3.5" screens, the longer battery life is 6 hours for 3D, 10 hours for 2D, US price will be $199 and is released on 19th August, no word on UK/Europe price or release date - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18547931
( Last edited by ajprice; Jun 22, 2012 at 06:46 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2012, 09:07 AM

Seems early for them to be doing this. Not exactly sure why, either.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2012, 12:58 PM

I just realized, it doesn't have the second joystick. Are they nuts?!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2012, 04:09 PM

Yes they are nuts, they'll have to bring out a Circle Pad Pro XL because the normal 3DS Circle Pad Pro add on won't fit the bigger XL case.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 22, 2012, 04:15 PM

I can't wait to hear the backlash on this...

They'd have been more justified in rereleasing the original 3DS than pulling this shit.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2012, 04:30 PM

P
Jun 24, 2012, 05:39 AM

DNF syndrome. Understandable.
Not...really. I never played DNF (was never a fan of the franchise), but the reviews seemed to say that it was just the old Duke Nukem gameplay, which felt stale. This was not the case here - MP had a very distinct gameplay when it came, and if they had just copied that without the cover mechanics, it would have felt like MP but probably a bit stale. Instead what they did was make a cover shooter - it really feels mostly like LA Noire shoot scenes, now that I think about it - with the shoot-dodging and Bullet Time bolted on, and quite tuned down compared to the earlier games. I think that if this had been MP5 or something, we would have had a natural development of the dodging mechanics together with the cover systems, but now that it has been 9 years, they didn't really know what to do. They went the safe route and made a regular shooter with a sprinkling of the dodging and relied on the story to bring it together. It's not bad, but it feels much less original than the old MP games did.

Twilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2012, 10:28 AM

Terrible idea of charging a $500K fine.
1. Too vague to be effective.
2. Small companies may not even know they have a data breach.
3. As one person commented, an IT person may want to cover it up in fear that they might lose their job.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2012, 01:41 PM

Not...really. I never played DNF (was never a fan of the franchise), but the reviews seemed to say that it was just the old Duke Nukem gameplay, which felt stale.
What i read indicated that it kept getting pushed back as the creator kept wanting to add new elements from games he was seeing as they came out.

P
Jun 26, 2012, 01:45 PM

What i read indicated that it kept getting pushed back as the creator kept wanting to add new elements from games he was seeing as they came out.
You read that about MP? I know that that is true about George Broussard at 3D Realms, but I never heard it about MP. I think they just kept MP on the back burner for a while, partially to weather that movie, and the result was that whiplash.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2012, 12:33 PM

So my play and charge cable has been flaky for quite some time now, not charging the battery, and eventually not even being able to power the controller unless the cord was in the exact spot.

Last night it finally gave out just as Dakar and I were settling in to a night of BF3. Being a person of considerable ability with my own hands I vowed to get the bitch working so I could enjoy myself. Turns out two of the wires had snapped entirely, so after stripping off the wire casing I twisted the two broken wires back together and hit them up with the only tape I had available, scotch tape.

Behold!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2012, 12:35 PM

Oh god, that's way worse thanI was imagining.

After leaving it charging all night:

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Being a person of considerable ability with my own hands I vowed to get the bitch working so I could enjoy myself.
Wood <> electronics.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
So my play and charge cable has been flaky for quite some time now, not charging the battery, and eventually not even being able to power the controller unless the cord was in the exact spot.

Behold!
Dude, just PM me your address. I'll send you one of the fifty charge cables that I have lying around.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2012, 03:50 PM

Wood <> electronics.
Hehe, I know. It was meant to be a little tongue-in-cheek since it certainly looks like an awful hackjob.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Dude, just PM me your address. I'll send you one of the fifty charge cables that I have lying around.
I'm going to take you up on this offer.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2012, 03:52 PM

Send him two. Just in case.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 2, 2012, 03:33 PM

What Sony’s Gaikai purchase means to PlayStation’s cloud gaming future | Ars Technica
At least that's one potential end game now that Sony Computer Entertainment has announced the $380 million acquisition of streaming gaming specialists Gaikai, which it will use to establish "a new cloud service."
On the PS3 itself, a Gaikai-style service would make sense for providing instant access to game demos, without requiring multi-gigabyte downloads to space-limited hard drives. But the service's real potential could be for getting PS3 content onto other devices without requiring expensive hardware. Imagine Gaikai-powered PS3 games being streamed to the controller-equipped Xperia Play phone, a cheap TV Microconsole that is much cheaper than a full PS3, or even directly to Sony Smart TVs. (Gaikai is already integrated into TVs from Sony competitors Samsung and LG, though those partnerships seem unlikely to last much longer now).

Forum Links
Forum Rules