Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 6)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Not nut corn, but maybe will satisfy your cravings: coated, roasted peanuts; wasabi peas; or pork rinds.
It’s not for me, it’s for craft service, so I’m trying to fill a niche on the menu.

I’ve got plenty of unhealthy sweets to choose from which are either chewy or crunchy. Nutcorn is my go-to for an unhealthy sweet that’s both.

andi*pandi
Oct 1, 2019, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Apparently Orville Redenbacher ruined Poppycock, so now I need to know what people do for nutcorn.

I’ve been getting by with Crunch and Munch, but that was always an inferior product. I’ll cut anyone who says Crackerjack.
Ahem: You can always buy Scout Popcorn:
https://www.trails-end.com/store/scout/USJIAQ1T

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2019, 03:43 PM

How does it compare to the shit Girl Scouts push?

Thorzdad
Oct 1, 2019, 03:58 PM

Girl Scouts do cookies. I've never seen them push popcorn.

I miss Screaming Yellow Zonkers.

andi*pandi
Oct 1, 2019, 04:06 PM

How does it compare to the shit Girl Scouts push?
More expensive, definitely, I've seen people drop a bag like it's lava when they find out how much. Online even more so for some $%^&* reason. However, a bigger chunk goes to the scouts. Girl scouts in my area get 90¢ per box, 18%, Scouts BSA gets 35%. (While not popcorn, the girl scouts do a fall sale, which is nuts and chocolates and magazines. )

The Trails End product is quality. The best deal is the microwave popcorn or the caramel corn. Which does have a version with nuts. Free shipping!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Girl Scouts do cookies. I've never seen them push popcorn.
Girl Scout Cookie is the SI unit for tasty.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 1, 2019, 07:40 PM

Which Girl Scout Cookie? This is an important distinction.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Oct 1, 2019, 07:46 PM

I lean toward the basics, and love the Trefoils. That said, I also get a box of Samoas. The missus is all about the Thin Mints.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Which Girl Scout Cookie? This is an important distinction.
Metric is Tagalongs, Imperial are Samoas.

andi*pandi
Oct 2, 2019, 11:00 AM

The best are samoas/caramel delites. In December I'm gonna spam this thread with a store link for those, certainly.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2019, 07:41 PM

Metric is Tagalongs, Imperial are Samoas.
I agree. Thin mints are "hey, have some cookies while you're hanging out" stuff; not bad, but not really yummy. Tagalongs and Samoas, on the other hand, have a lot more going for them than just mint.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2019, 01:47 PM

andi*pandi
Oct 3, 2019, 03:34 PM

I hear that.

me last night at CVS: parks in parking space.

stand in 1/2 hour line.

come out to find motorcycle has parked by door, not in parking spot, but directly behind my car. it is a royal PITA to get out of the parking spot without hitting that cycle. At one point contemplated getting out of car and physically moving %^&*( bike. Instead a 37pt turn sufficed.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 7, 2019, 11:09 AM

Google Chrome autofill sucks. I assume it's because they need websites to see referrals from actual Google.

So if I type in the name of a business, Chrome autofills the name of the business because it knows what I'm looking for. But it stops short of actually filling in the website for that business, which would be the most likely desired user case. The website for the business isn't even an option below the name of the business. I have to initiate the Google search for that business. Then, surprise surprise, the website for the business is the very first results, because of course that's what people are looking for. Why can't Chrome offer the actual site as the default autofill (or at least as an option)?

Even when I type out most of the website address, it defaults to assuming I want to google search for "somewebsite.c" and it's only a secondary consideration that I might actually want to go to "somewebsite.com".

Thorzdad
Oct 7, 2019, 03:53 PM

Is that very first result you see the Google AMP version of the website? It wouldn't shock me if Chrome is set-up to nudge you into hitting the AMP version.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 7, 2019, 04:00 PM

I'm on desktop. I assume that wouldn't pull from AMP.

Thorzdad
Oct 16, 2019, 01:12 PM

My wife, as part of her job, was at an elderly client's home doing an intake interview. She had her phone (a 6s) sitting in a cup holder that was part of the big chair she was sitting in. What she didn't know was that the bottom of the cup holder had a film of the residue from, I'm guessing, many spilled soft-drinks. Later, when she got back to the office, she noticed that the sound on the phone was really muted. She could barely even hear it ring, and conversations were kind of one-sided.

I took a look at it and it definitely looked like that syrup residue had seeped through the speaker grilles and coated the speakers. Today, she took it in to one of those you-break-it-we-fix-it shops and they told her that is wasn't just the speaker, but that the goo had coated the area of the motherboard that controls audio. And, basically, there was nothing they could do.

Because of reasons (being suddenly let go from a previous job and having her company phone taken away at that moment) she needed to get a new phone immediately and could not afford to just buy one outright, so she got a refurb at Verizon (I know, I know) and is still paying it off. She's kind of at a loss as to what to do. She's not keen on the idea of buying another phone while still paying for this one. But, she can't hear anything on the phone now, so...

Anyone have experience with getting a refurb phone off Amazon and getting to work with Verizon?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2019, 10:26 PM

Was the syrup phone an iPhone? Because the bottom section of most iPhones is a separate board and not that expensive to replace.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Oct 17, 2019, 08:08 AM

Yeah, it's an iPhone 6s. The guy at the repair place said the goo had migrated to a section of the motherboard that handled audio, and he couldn't do anything to fix it.

mindwaves
Oct 17, 2019, 08:43 AM

Where I lived people inside the elevator like holding the elevator door open for others inside the elevator to exit when the elevator door opens. Kind of like a gentleman thing to do. I hate it because the people directly behind the guy holding the door open (via pushing the open button) are blocked from exiting and have to wait for the person behind them to exit before them (That means if there are nine people in the elevator and focusing on the right side with three people, the one furthest back exits first, the middle one second, and the elevator guy last). I don’t get it. Elevator are a first in, last out principle. Last ones in are first ones out, but not where I live. So annoying to me. Kind of like a hallway monitor in elementary school.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2019, 11:41 AM

I’ve found the best way to continue the nice gesture while getting out of the way is to step out and to the side, then hold the door open with my arm.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 17, 2019, 07:47 PM

I’ve found the best way to continue the nice gesture while getting out of the way is to step out and to the side, then hold the door open with my arm.
Yup. Nobody should be playing "elevator operator" in 2019...

P
Oct 18, 2019, 06:46 AM

Thorz: Does the phone work with a handsfree connected? Is there a difference between when you use Bluetooth or a headphone port? Because you can get Bluetooth headphones with a microphone from Amazon for $20, and you can then use them on the next phone.

If the gunk has "migrated to a part of the motherboard that handles audio", I'm going to guess that he means some sort of DA converter, in which case a Bluetooth headset should work (as the audio is digital while on Bluetooth and then converted to analog audio that you can hear in the headset)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Thorzdad
Oct 18, 2019, 07:52 AM

P: As far as I can tell, everything works just fine, other than sound from the speaker ports is heavily muted. So, any audio or keyboard clicks or alarms or Notifications are hard to hear. Headphones aren't going to be a solution my wife will want to live with, though.

The parts inside an iPhone are all solid-state, right? I don't fully understand why the repair guy didn't try spraying a little electronics cleaner in there to try and remove the gunk. Or, would that have killed the phone? Obviously, I don't know anything about the internals of these things.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 18, 2019, 10:46 AM

Try a 2nd repair shop. I'd have suggested electronics cleaner too. Maybe he just didn't want to risk nuking the phone. Oh, and you can try Rossman repair, for actual component-level repair.

Thorzdad
Oct 18, 2019, 12:56 PM

She might try another one. Although, she and others have used this place in the past with great results.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 19, 2019, 05:33 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:32 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2019, 01:58 PM

P: As far as I can tell, everything works just fine, other than sound from the speaker ports is heavily muted. So, any audio or keyboard clicks or alarms or Notifications are hard to hear. Headphones aren't going to be a solution my wife will want to live with, though.

The parts inside an iPhone are all solid-state, right? I don't fully understand why the repair guy didn't try spraying a little electronics cleaner in there to try and remove the gunk. Or, would that have killed the phone? Obviously, I don't know anything about the internals of these things.

The whole bottom section is a separate part. It sounds entirely likely its just clogged speaker grilles though. You'd be amazed the difference they can make.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Oct 20, 2019, 04:04 PM

Turns out they did replace the grills at no cost. Not really any better.

P
Oct 20, 2019, 05:23 PM

I expect that the actual speaker is shot, then.

When I said headphones, I mean something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...ng-Headphones/

Not necessarily that particular item - they are what I use, and mainly for the noise cancellation, and they’re older now anyway - but something of that design. I have them around my neck with the actual headphones dangling. If a call comes in, I lift one headphone to my ear and press the button on the side of the band (which is also where the mic is) to answer. More convenient than digging the phone up, at least to me.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves
Oct 21, 2019, 11:14 AM

Off the phone with a CSR for my brokerage account asking some account deadlines, etc. I asked a few questions and she would answer then add "Yes, provided that everything is correct" each and every time for every one of my questions. Super annoying.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2019, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Off the phone with a CSR for my brokerage account asking some account deadlines, etc. I asked a few questions and she would answer then add "Yes, provided that everything is correct" each and every time for every one of my questions. Super annoying.
I know it can be annoying, but I’m pretty devoted to accuracy. If my answer needs a qualifier to be accurate, I give it.

In fact, I consider failing to do so as lying.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2019, 11:45 PM

Kroger.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2019, 10:06 AM

The city’s new street lamps.

It feels like I’m in the bleachers at a night game.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2019, 08:17 PM

YouTube only lets me upload 99 videos per day. JFC.

I expect more for my zero dollars.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2019, 11:42 PM

The cheese at White Castle. It’s just not very good. Same with 5 Guys.

Thorzdad
Nov 1, 2019, 08:20 AM

You go to White Castle for one thing, and one thing only. The basic slider. No cheese. Well, that and maybe the onion chips.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2019, 09:44 AM

Yeah... for some reason I was going cheese doubles.

andi*pandi
Nov 1, 2019, 11:20 AM

5 guys fries are best tho.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2019, 02:24 AM

Sites going down.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2019, 10:48 AM

The key cutting machine at Home Depot thinking your Kwikset key is a Dexter key.

Kiosk key cutter wanting $12 a key.

Dealer not letting you schedule factory maintenance.

Hot dog delivery forgetting your shake.

Yesterday was very minorly irritating.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2019, 10:50 AM

Do four minors make a major?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2019, 11:21 AM

Three is a major. Four is a colonel panic.

Thorzdad
Nov 7, 2019, 02:27 PM

Why did a dealer refuse to schedule maintenance? I mean, "we can't fit you in for a couple of weeks" I would understand, but "no. never." is odd, to say the least.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2019, 05:11 PM

Why did a dealer refuse to schedule maintenance? I mean, "we can't fit you in for a couple of weeks" I would understand, but "no. never." is odd, to say the least.
Supposedly because it was just a yearly inspection and oil change. He said it’s first come, first serve.

Didn’t buy that shit for a second. It’s never been that way before, and I’m not going to drive out there and have them tell me I needed an appointment.

Remembered there’s an engine fan recall, so I called back today and got an appointment based on that. Then I told them I needed an inspection/oil change.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 7, 2019, 05:18 PM

Perhaps what you really need is a different dealer. Or a good independent repair shop.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Perhaps what you really need is a different dealer. Or a good independent repair shop.
I could definitely use a better dealer, but I live far away from all of them. This is the best one in terms of being reachable by public transportation in a timely manner. I much prefer to drop it off and leave. They don’t feel rushed, and I hate waiting. Win-win. Luckily, I drive rarely enough it’s generally not a problem being without a car for awhile.

I could also use a good independent repair shop. Honestly, I’ve been on autopilot. Last car kinda made sense to stick with the dealer.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2019, 08:44 PM

All green stars.

mindwaves
Nov 8, 2019, 02:47 AM

People who park their cars tail in instead of head in. Now, I understand why it is ok to do so in some circumstances, but for the vast majority of circumstances, head in is far faster and easier. People say it saves time. But for most people, the time saved leaving the parking space is negated by the extra time it takes to park.

Thorzdad
Nov 8, 2019, 08:55 AM

Tail in makes it a lot easier to see other cars coming down the lane when you're pulling out. Backing out of a slot is always a touch-and-go situation, especially in busy lots.

In other parking lot irritants...The $@#^% F-150/Ram/Silverado truckyachts that extend three feet out into the lane because they're just.too.damned.big to fit into reality.

Forum Links
Forum Rules