Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 9)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Youtube thumbnails that have someone's face in a weird angry or distorted manner. It is so annoying that people have their faces like that. It is all clickbait and I never click on them, but annoying to see. Also, fake or misleading thumbnails, like a snake wrapped around an elephant or a car windshield all cracked (when the actual windshield has a small chip).

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2020, 05:21 PM

Corner of some plexiglass I should have thrown out ages ago right into the tip of my big toe.

Still bleeding 2 hours later, but just a little spot as opposed to the hose action at the beginning.

mindwaves
Jun 30, 2020, 08:37 PM

I park under a tree at a paid parking lot near my office (no office parking lot). Of course, it is because of the hot weather. But I get lots and large bird poop on my car almost every day.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2020, 01:48 PM

The birds like the shade (and the perch space) too.

The local grocery chain, H-E-B, has several stores near me that feature nice amounts of trees in their parking lots. One store in particular can look like a scene from Hitchcock’s The Birds at dusk, or when there’s a storm coming. Mostly the birds are grackles. These are not terribly objectionable birds in themselves, but when there are literally thousands of them gathering to roost, all at the same time, they can blot out the sun. I tend to park away from trees at such places, just because of this.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2020, 08:13 AM

Toe’s okay.

The keys on my keyboard are labeled with lowercase letters. Totally throws me off.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 10, 2020, 09:24 AM

But what font is it?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2020, 10:23 AM

A really lame and tiny one. I’d say it’s some fork of Eurostile. Andi may be able to pin it down.

The switches are great, though. Maximum clicky-clacky.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2020, 06:34 AM

Is this a minor irritant? Engine bay fire yesterday.
IMG_1426 by Andrew Stephens, on Flickr
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2020, 07:26 AM

Sails right over Major irritant to Lieutenant Colonel.

P
Jul 14, 2020, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
A really lame and tiny one. I’d say it’s some fork of Eurostile. Andi may be able to pin it down.

The switches are great, though. Maximum clicky-clacky.
Amused myself by doing a reverse image font search:

https://www.whatfontis.com/NFC_Micro...nt?text=wyhuji

Microgramma Bold Extended.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2020, 08:16 AM

Good job!

I knew it was some kind of Star Trek font.

Edit: and a font I know I have in my vault because I’m a huge Trekkie.

To regain some font cred, it’s the Image Club version.

andi*pandi
Jul 14, 2020, 10:39 AM

Great job P. Beat me to it!

Doc, that has to be heartbreaking. Salvageable?

Thorzdad
Jul 14, 2020, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
IMG_1426 by Andrew Stephens, on Flickr

Fuel line detached?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Great job P. Beat me to it!

Doc, that has to be heartbreaking. Salvageable?
Not sure what happened. It definitely smelled of petrol on the way back from town yesterday but was running fine. As I parked it I saw whips of smoke and initially thought it was steam and it was overheating, but the temp gauge was fine. Then a few licks of flame from under the bonnet. I got out so fast I left my iPhone in it, so that's toast as well.

It now depends on the insurance. It has agreed value but in the UK they can be touchy about fire damage. It can weaken the structure. I'm not sure there's a lot of structural damage although the roof panel has warped so that may be enough to consign it to the crusher. It it gets classed as a cat D then I can buy it back ad redo it, but if they class it as Cat B then I can only salvage agreed parts or Cat A which means no part of the car can be reused on any car again which would mean the crusher for it.

We will have to see where they go.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2020, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Good job!

I knew it was some kind of Star Trek font.

Edit: and a font I know I have in my vault because I’m a huge Trekkie.

To regain some font cred, it’s the Image Club version.
I’d never looked at the lower case for Microgramma Extended. All a Trek fan needed was the caps anyway.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 15, 2020, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post

Project car fire is one of my nightmares. I carry an extinguisher in the trunk just in case. I should probably check it and see if it's still charged.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2020, 01:43 PM

I’m on my third car fire extinguisher.

The Kiddie brand ones I have strap the pin on with a ziptie looking thing, which I got rid of because it seems like a really dumb idea.

Well, the pin slipped out, and I set it off moving the milk crate it’s in around. Only for a fraction of a second, but enough to spray powder everywhere.

Got a replacement under the assumption I needed to figure out a way to keep the pin in. For the hell of it, I decided to try pulling the pin, and I discover it’s a breakaway ziptie. Then, all my plans for a way to secure the pin don’t work, so it was on to number three.

The one with the free-floating pin I keep in my apartment, though, so not a total loss.

andi*pandi
Jul 15, 2020, 03:14 PM

Doesn't keeping a fire extinguisher in the trunk make it hard to use in an emergency? How big is a car extinguisher?

Example: Husband got me a "break glass /cut seatbelt in case of sudden submersion" car tool. (Such a romantic.) Instructions said to keep it by the center console. Well it was bulky and didn't really fit there, so now I think it slid under the seat where I will never be able to reach it if I'm stuck in a submerged car with a jammed seat belt.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2020, 03:25 PM

I have a van, so it’s not as inaccessible as a trunk, but not within arms reach if I’m trapped. It’s a regular extinguisher, only specific to a car in the sense that’s where it lives. I have it more for other people rather than myself.

I have a windshield cracker in the glove box, and one in the storage area at the bottom of the driver’s side door. I’ve always assumed it’s going to go flying if I roll. I should mount it, but I’m too lazy.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 15, 2020, 10:32 PM

I use a plastic crate for my extinguisher + jumpers + wiper fluid, etc. Keeps them all in the same place, and doesn't wander around too much. In theory, the crate could be strapped in place. Bonus - it has handles so I can move everything at once.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2020, 11:49 PM

Crate inspection time!

Fire extinguisher
Paper towels
Garbage bags
First aid kit (currently cannibalized to fix my toe)
Tarp
Gaff tape
Big, honkin’, clip to the battery, 1K power inverter
D-cell Maglite

I used to barely be able to squeeze jumper cables in there, but stash them under the driver’s seat now.

mindwaves
Jul 17, 2020, 03:06 AM

Trying to pay the credit card bill on my phone (or maybe computer?) and the system doesn't allow me to enter the decimal point. I have to keep on adding zeros until the decimal point is in the proper place. Annoying.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2020, 04:56 PM

Right now, my minor irritants are a tie between unsquare pixels and halftone moire.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2020, 10:32 AM

After a couple weeks of my clicky-clacky keyboard, going back to an Apple keyboard is like ****in’ yuck.

mindwaves
Jul 22, 2020, 08:05 PM

Anyone use the Logitech MX Keys? Thinking of getting one.

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...20-009294.html

Thorzdad
Jul 23, 2020, 07:49 AM

This week in First-World Minor Irritants: The nighttime temps have been great for opening the windows and sleeping in fresh air. One hitch...Humidity is 95-100%. But, the temps are just low enough that the AC doesn't kick on often enough to cool the room and make it less humid

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2020, 04:18 AM

The Walgreens is out of juice. Literally two 12 oz. bottles of apple juice in the entire store.

Apple juice is okay, but I prefer orange.

Or limeade or pineapple coconut, but this Walgreens doesn’t carry either even when stocked.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2020, 08:06 AM

Minor algorithm irritant:

Why do supposedly smart algorithms in services like Youtube fail so hard when it comes to music? How many people who stream videos of Metallica, Iron Maiden, Nightwish, Dragonforce etc are actually clicking to watch a One Direction or Justin Bieber video? I can't imagine its many at all.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 26, 2020, 09:52 AM

Google Chrome’s ad algorithms are pretty crappy too. I am NOT an appropriate customer for feminine hygiene products, yet it seems that researching fingernail hygiene products says “it’s a chick!” to their code.

I’m not a “chick.” I’m an occupational therapist (I do lots of OT product research with Chrome too) who helps patients care for their fingernails. Because sometimes after an extended hospitalization, people wind up with disgusting nails. It seems the whole “keeping people alive” thing has a higher priority than “getting the gunk out from under their nails.” Go figure. But once they get to me, those yucky nails are a hygiene and infection control issue, so I’m often looking for manicure tools and supplies. Great catch, Google!

Another irritant: “how did that hospital let this patient get those (minor) bedsores?” Some of my coworkers get absolutely outraged when we admit someone with skin breakdown. Ummm. Let’s look at what else was going on. Maybe the patient was this close to dying for much of their hospitalization? And maybe a little - fairly easily healed - skin breakdown is a reasonable trade off. Yeah, that context thing is a real bear. ;D

mindwaves
Jul 29, 2020, 07:26 AM

Youtubers who say "Hey guys, welcome back to X channel" and then "Remember to hit the like button and subscribe." Super annoying. And they fill up their video with a lot of worthless stuff. I usually skip the first minute or more (depending on the length of the video) to get to the actual content.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2020, 08:58 AM

RING THAT BELL
all caps

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2020, 10:41 AM

Youtubers who say "Hey guys, welcome back to X channel" and then "Remember to hit the like button and subscribe." Super annoying. And they fill up their video with a lot of worthless stuff. I usually skip the first minute or more (depending on the length of the video) to get to the actual content.
+10

Also, why do they all keep blathering on about simps all the time at the moment?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2020, 03:26 PM

Traffic signal algorithms.

It always seems that the cross street light won’t change to red until someone is coming on that street. Similarly, when I’m the only person on my street and I’m coming up on an intersection, that’s when the light decides to change, regardless of how many people are - or are not - waiting on the cross street.

Traffic lights are now run by a literal computer, and most lights are now LEDs, too, so it doesn’t even take “high voltage” to make the lights work. So now it’s a matter of how the various sensors tell the computer when traffic is where and how the computer responds.

And someday I gotta see the code for those systems. Somewhere in there has to be the equivalent of: “If nobody coming, then ignore how long the lights have been in this configuration, else if someone is coming then switch.”

mindwaves
Aug 2, 2020, 07:55 PM

Uber's "increased demand" fees are irritating. I wanted to go to work today, so I checked Uber and it was quoting me $20+ USD to go to work because of "increased demand," whereas the normal price would be around $10 USD. I took a normal yellow taxi instead and got to work around $8 (albeit at a place 3 mins walk from my office). Probably going to take taxis more often.

Thorzdad
Aug 11, 2020, 07:49 PM

My wife’s office uses ADP for their payroll. For whatever reason, only one person can be logged into the web portal at any given time.

Now, if you designed such a system, how would you handle an instance where one person was already logged into the portal and another person tries to also log in? You’d throw a dialog at the second person telling them that the portal was already in use, right? Apparently, the ADP devs think different. When a second person tries to log into the portal, the first person is kicked out without warning, right in the middle of whatever they were doing, like the payroll.

andi*pandi
Aug 11, 2020, 08:18 PM

bad developers! bad!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2020, 07:46 AM

In the bad developer department, how’s about Safari not playing 4K off of YouTube?

It’s finally getting fixed in Big Sur, but it shouldn’t have taken years.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2020, 06:13 PM

That’s bad politics, not bad dev.

Thorzdad
Aug 20, 2020, 12:14 PM

I went to, I think, the Denver Post’s website a couple days ago, to check-out the updated map on the Colorado wildfires. Hitting the pertinent page, I scrolled down a couple of paragraphs and was hit with a paywall. So, I reloaded the page and went for Firefox’s reader version. That worked. I got the entire webpage and story...but all the text was now gibberish. Random characters, numerals, etc. First time I’ve seen that.

mindwaves
Aug 20, 2020, 07:24 PM

I walk outside freshly showered and wearing shorts and less than 20 seconds later, a fly lands on my leg. I shake it off and it comes again and repeat many times over until I move somewhere else (such as waiting for a stoplight next to my house).

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2020, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I went to, I think, the Denver Post’s website a couple days ago, to check-out the updated map on the Colorado wildfires. Hitting the pertinent page, I scrolled down a couple of paragraphs and was hit with a paywall. So, I reloaded the page and went for Firefox’s reader version. That worked. I got the entire webpage and story...but all the text was now gibberish. Random characters, numerals, etc. First time I’ve seen that.
Can’t help but wonder with all decent journalism going to paywalls or sub-only, most free news is of the fake variety. Hmm...

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 22, 2020, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Can’t help but wonder with all decent journalism going to paywalls or sub-only, most free news is of the fake variety. Hmm...
I don't know about "decent" journalism, but Popular Mechanics' daily mailer with interesting stories from all sorts of quarters has now become a shill for their online/print-online subscription product. At first there were "This story is exclusive to Popular Mechanics Pro subscribers" notes after the headline. Now you have the story page load and then a bottom banner shows up and you've hit the paywall. Sucky move, PM.

andi*pandi
Aug 22, 2020, 07:15 PM

I follow my local paper on twitter. I subscribe. On twitter, 75% of their posts are reposting USAToday content about sales at Nordstroms or what is the best blender to buy.

I subscribe to my local town (online), the closest major town paper (sunday dead tree edition and online), and a nearby state paper (online). It's worth it to support journalism. Most papers nowadays let you get the first 1-3 articles free so you see their content quality.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Aug 23, 2020 at 11:56 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Aug 22, 2020, 07:21 PM

Some months ago, I decided to subscribe to a paper or two for a year. Covid had us all in the first lockdown, and news in general was in trouble. Advertising had crashed with the lockdown - not many people gonna visit closed local stores. At the same time, record people were home reading news online.

I decided to do my part, and help news survive the crisis. So a 1-year sub to one or two papers. One local paper appears to require a print subscription. There is an online scan for subscribers to read, but no obvious way to buy just that. Mildly tempting during the toilet paper crisis, but who wants a physical paper to arrive in the mail each day?

Ended up subbing to The Guardian for one year, which I read the most anyway. No local subs, because after a couple weeks, I noticed I wasn't reading them. But I rechecked that local paper just now, months later. They still appear to require a paper delivery. Doing their part to keep the garbage men employed.

Edit checked further today. Online subs are available. If you create an account, you can then see the e-sub offers. There is no obvious indication that you have to create an account first.
( Last edited by reader50; Aug 22, 2020 at 07:39 PM. )

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2020, 10:40 PM

I don’t understand how devs can justify crippling mobile versions of websites when many people don’t even have desktops anymore.

P
Aug 24, 2020, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I don’t understand how devs can justify crippling mobile versions of websites when many people don’t even have desktops anymore.
Example? Because a lot of what I consider "crippling" is because of Google's algorithm for ranking sites.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves
Aug 24, 2020, 11:16 PM

Set menus for restaurants.

Sure you get more food for your money and includes a dessert and a drink, but I'm going to order ala carte from now on. Every set menu has at least one, maybe two dishes that I do not like.

I'm sure that some set menus are ok, it is just that I haven't ran into any recently.

Thorzdad
Aug 26, 2020, 03:41 PM

Got new lenses for my glasses today. Now I go through the learning-to-see-again period. Gah.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2020, 03:46 PM

Set menus for restaurants.

Sure you get more food for your money and includes a dessert and a drink, but I'm going to order ala carte from now on. Every set menu has at least one, maybe two dishes that I do not like.

I'm sure that some set menus are ok, it is just that I haven't ran into any recently.
I’ve been to three schmancy places which only offer a set menu. Two were good, one was bad. One of the good ones had a mushroom dish, and I hate mushrooms, but the other bajillion courses were fantastic.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2020, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Got new lenses for my glasses today. Now I go through the learning-to-see-again period. Gah.
bifocals?

Last revision I got, I decided to get my prescription from an ophthalmologist rather than have the optician do it as I usually did.

For the first time in many years, putting on my new glasses was simply a matter of being able to see perfectly. No learning, no adjustment — just put them on and: clarity.

The next set will be difficult, though, as I'm definitely heading towards bifocal age in the next few years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules