Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External hard drive = messed up

External hard drive = messed up
kat81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 03:49 AM

It's a.. Maxtor I think. Drive Specks:
250GB
appple_hfs+
mac os extended journaled
usb

Now, awhile ago (last month), I was transferring files from the external to my internal. Apparently, one of the files I was trying to move was damaged/corrupted, and it caused my computer to freeze. Skipping ahead...there is now a folder, that used to contain the 20+ .avi files, that is EMPTY but when I try to trash it, it says it can't delete because files are in use.
I use some data programs, and scan the drive...and the data-rescue programs all see these .avis that can't be seen by any other method. I even use a haxie to show invisible files, and that doesn't show these files.

When I try to run Disk Utility to repair the drive, it says:
When I try to repair disk it says:
Verify and Repair disk KatXtras
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid record count
Volume check failed.
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit
1 HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

I can't seem to clear these deleted files, or do much at all with the drive (even transferring files now freezes/crashes the drive).

Is there anything I can do? Programs I can use to repair it...somehow force it to stop 'using files' that aren't there?

I already ordered a new external drive, which won't be here for 2 weeks, because I'm sure in the end my only choice will be to wipe that external hard drive and start fresh. I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do without losing everything I have on it!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2007, 04:04 PM

If Disk Utility won't repair it (after running it 2-3 times) then try Disk Warrior. Disk Warrior is great at repairing HD directories. It worked great when I screwed up my HD's directory.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules