Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Did Everyone Forget?

Did Everyone Forget?
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 01:12 AM

I checked the Political/War Lounge, and watched the Lounge itself for the entire day wondering if anyone would mention the 6th anniversary of 9/11. Did anyone mention it? Did I miss something? Does it still mean something to us? My intention is not to stir up a political debate. I just wanted to remember it.

Did you take a moment to honor those who were taken yesterday? If so, how did you go about it? I personally woke up in a somber mood, wrote a quick blog entry about it, and then spent the rest of the day sharing memories of 9/11 with friends and coworkers.

I just feel it's important to not forget, and watching Craig Ferguson's opening bit tonight was a breath of fresh air. He quoted Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, and I though it might be appropriate to throw it up in this post. Not all of it is applicable, but I put the points that Craig highlighted in bold italics.

Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation: conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war. . .testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated. . . can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war.

We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate. . .we cannot consecrate. . . we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.

It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us. . .that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion. . . that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain. . . that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom. . . and that government of the people. . .by the people. . .for the people. . . shall not perish from the earth.
There is a lot of unfinished business to be done. Bin Laden is still roaming around, making movies. Terrorists are still trying to bring down our way of life. We still don't know how to take care of the problem.

To the people who lost friends, family members, and coworkers in NYC or the Pentagon...
To the firemen and police offers who either died or risked their lives to save others...
To the people who went down on United 93...

We remember.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who have lost.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 12, 2007, 01:16 AM

It's my mom's birthday. I tend to not forget since '01.
ice

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 01:25 AM

Huh?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 02:28 AM

I don't think many forgot. There was no comment on Bin Laden's new video in the PL either, but I doubt that's because no one was paying attention.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 07:18 AM

It was my birthday too. H.B. to your mom too, IE!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 07:26 AM

Not posting a thread and not remembering are two different things. I recalled the event with sadness, especially as some of the cable channels last night had various 9/11 specials on

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 08:24 AM

I hope people in this country never forget. Never. They did once and it came back to bite them in the ass. I hope they never forget it. Apathy is a very very very bad thing.

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 08:25 AM

I was actually thinking last night that this is the year we crossed over and made it a more personal event than a national one.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 08:26 AM

What is there to say that hasn't been said in the last 6 years?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cipher13
Sep 12, 2007, 08:51 AM

I forgot.

I usually remember on the 9th of November.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
What is there to say that hasn't been said in the last 6 years?
What's there to say about Pearl Harbor that hasn't already been said?

The answer is, the worst attack against America in its history isn't something that should fade into the background. The magnitude of the event demands that we consistently recognize it, no matter how many years pass.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What's there to say about Pearl Harbor that hasn't already been said?

The answer is, the worst attack against America in its history isn't something that should fade into the background. The magnitude of the event demands that we consistently recognize it, no matter how many years pass.
But it doesn't require everyone to blog about it either.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
But it doesn't require everyone to blog about it either.
That's true, too.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 09:04 AM

I was waiting for a big flashy media event all day long, but it was rather subtle. Nobody is going to forget the events of 9.11.01, but that doesn't mean that we need to make it a national holiday. In fact, that's probably the worst thing we could do.

While I don't think we should forget what happened (obviously), I feel most Americans are moving on for the better.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 09:22 AM

I flipped channels - it was all over fox, cnn, etc.... I avoided the media at all costs, it's too personal for me. Especially after six years of staring into that big hole, the political BS, and six years of war. No thank you.
I still remember the families, the heros, but the event is forgotton - a distant memory.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

DakarĘ’
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 09:24 AM

I think I may have caught something on History while I was flipping channels. It does seem the most appropriate channel for 9.11 remembrance to be on.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
While I don't think we should forget what happened (obviously), I feel most Americans are moving on for the better.
Exactly.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 09:35 AM

Nobody alive today is going to forget, but we all remember and pay honor in our own way. Just because we don't talk about it does not mean we have forgotten.

I think it is a bit sad that TV ratings are battled for by trying to out-remembering the other network.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 09:38 AM

I saw on the local news last night that 9/11 family members noticed there was a dramatic drop in family attendees this year. It could have been the rain, but since it's the last year they're going to allow family to be down there, I'd say even the family members are moving on.

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 09:50 AM

As someone who grew up within view of the WTC, and was in the area that cool September day, it's absurd to think I'll ever forget.

Tragedy happens everywhere, all the time. It's important to not forget, and learn, to be sure. But it's equally important to move forward with life.

As a result, yesterday was just another day for me, really.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I checked the Political/War Lounge, and watched the Lounge itself for the entire day wondering if anyone would mention the 6th anniversary of 9/11. Did anyone mention it? Did I miss something? Does it still mean something to us?
I think, out of respect for that day, some member intentionally REFRAINED from posting, because we all know where this ends in the PL.

Thanks for blowing it, though

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
As someone who grew up within view of the WTC, and was in the area that cool September day, it's absurd to think I'll ever forget.
I was ON the WTC just two weeks before. Still get a weird feeling in my guts when I think about that

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2007, 10:24 AM

I have a pic of my daughter in front of the towers I took two weeks before hanging up at work.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 10:55 AM

We're beginning to put it in perspective too - yes, it was a tragic thing, but more people are tragically killed in traffic accidents every three months. As a barbaric act of war it does not particularly stand out as being more infamous than others. Yes, it is tragic, but I think time is helping us to see it for what it is - a bad thing that happened, not the worst thing that ever happened.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2007, 03:40 PM

I, sad to say, did not forget.

For the life of me I cannot understand why the normal human reaction to suffering is to remember it.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Rumor
Sep 12, 2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
It's my mom's birthday. I tend to not forget since '01.
You just reminded me that my mothers birthday is tomorrow.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 03:43 PM

Geez, bad son!

1 800 FLOWERS

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules