Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why does SSD Replacement Cause More Fan and More Heating-Up?

Why does SSD Replacement Cause More Fan and More Heating-Up?
kds-kds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2023, 05:19 AM

Hello,

A couple of months back my MacBook Air’s SSD, which had given indicators of failure, was replaced with the same type, APPLE SSD SD0128F.

Very soon after it was replaced I noticed that the fan was coming on more often and running at a higher speed than it used to. My usage (and other factors0 were just about the same; no change there.

Within a month my usage actually decreased yet the fan would stay, and stays, almost always on and at high speed. In addition the laptop was/is heating up from the upper-left (strip above the esc key) much more than it ever used to.

The Activity Monitor (which I have long had in my dock) icon view and its detailed view, especially of CPU usage, reflects and confirms my feeling that soon after SSD replacement my usage indeed stayed the same and that soon thereafter it actually decreased.

So why would replacing an SSD have the direct result of the laptop heating up?

Thanks for any info.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 14, 2023, 01:43 PM

The hot zone above the Esc key is the CPU and integrated graphics. In Activity Monitor, besides checking CPU usage, also turn on Window -> GPU History to see if it's keeping your graphics busy. Also, make sure Activity Monitor is showing All Processes (it defaults to only showing your account processes). View -> All Processes.

Theories:

A) They upgraded your OS at the same time as the SSD, and later OSes generally utilize more GPU for the user interface.
B) There's a system process that is running constantly, hogging CPU.
C) They did a poor job blowing the dust out while your MBA was open, and heatsinks or fans or vents are partially blocked. Causing a higher temp, and faster fans. Use a flashlight and look at the exit vents in the display hinge - maybe you can see some dust. Won't help if the restriction is farther in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules