Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Questions about "New iPhone" This Summer

Questions about "New iPhone" This Summer
ghporter
Administrator
May 10, 2009, 09:19 PM

According to An ABC News report, a new iPhone is due out this summer (apparently along with the new iPhone 3.0 software). ABC also says that AT&T is considering/going to lower the minimum package rate by $10 when this happens.

I've looked through this forum pretty thoroughly, and I don't see any "OMG teh new IPHONE!!!" threads, nor anything online except talk about a case redesign. What am I missing here?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 10, 2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
According to An ABC News report, a new iPhone is due out this summer (apparently along with the new iPhone 3.0 software). ABC also says that AT&T is considering/going to lower the minimum package rate by $10 when this happens.

I've looked through this forum pretty thoroughly, and I don't see any "OMG teh new IPHONE!!!" threads, nor anything online except talk about a case redesign. What am I missing here?
"OMG teh new IPHONE!!!"

I hope the iPhone 3 has better luck with cellular/networking. The original iPhone wasn't too bad but the 2nd gen iPhone proved too problematical to continue using.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2009, 09:29 PM

It's still tied to AT&T, and even if it were $10 cheaper, it's still too expensive.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 10, 2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It's still tied to AT&T, and even if it were $10 cheaper, it's still too expensive.
The phone itself, or the service plan? I can get a 16GB refurbished iPhone for $149.95 right now, which sounds a lot more reasonable than $300, and if the service plan is less expensive, that would be a good thing too...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2009, 09:44 PM

The phone itself, or the service plan? I can get a 16GB refurbished iPhone for $149.95 right now, which sounds a lot more reasonable than $300, and if the service plan is less expensive, that would be a good thing too...
The service plan.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

JKT
Professional Poster
May 11, 2009, 05:36 AM

OMG teh new IPHONE ISN'T (all that) IMPORTANT TO ANYONE WHO ALREADY HAS ONE... the OS 3.0 release is.

Clarified?

Anyway, all the rumours I've seen about the new model so far have verged from the plain non-sensical (iPhone nano) to the downright obvious (better camera, 32GB option, etc) with a lot of cruft in between that doesn't matter all that much unless you don't have one already. IMO, the hardware of the iPhone is the least important part of the package... it's the software that matters most. Having said that, the one single most important hardware improvement I am hoping to see in the next version that will make me part with more money, is more RAM in the phone (at least double) so that it isn't as unstable as it currently is with demanding apps.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2009, 06:33 AM

That, and significant improvements in battery life.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2009, 07:42 AM

I've looked through this forum pretty thoroughly, and I don't see any "OMG teh new IPHONE!!!" threads...
-> Thread <-

And yeah, minor case redesign, $10 less per month with AT&T, video recording, plus the possibility of a second camera is pretty much all that's been rumored so far.

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 11, 2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
-> Thread <-

And yeah, minor case redesign, $10 less per month with AT&T, video recording, plus the possibility of a second camera is pretty much all that's been rumored so far.
Looks like the new iPhone will have a magnometer, potential support for 802.11n and transmit FM, and the best news of all would be a faster processer.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 11, 2009, 09:02 AM

I didn't see the previous thread, though I did look for it. It looks like there really isn't a lot to be excited about the new hardware for current iPhone owners, but for potential new owners this does look pretty good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules