Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Internal or External. Which would you rather have?

Internal or External. Which would you rather have?
jimbosyn
Forum Regular
May 19, 2005, 07:34 PM

My dual 2.0 G5 PM should ship today. I bought a 160gig external firewire 400 drive about a week ago to use with my powerbook for editing. The question I have is this. Which would you rather have for your PM. A External or Internal 160gig drive. I will be using it for video editing. I am pretty sure that an internal would be faster, but what would you prefer? I am still in the return window for the external drive, and an internal SATA is the same price. Thanks for any advice.

CatOne
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by jimbosyn
My dual 2.0 G5 PM should ship today. I bought a 160gig external firewire 400 drive about a week ago to use with my powerbook for editing. The question I have is this. Which would you rather have for your PM. A External or Internal 160gig drive. I will be using it for video editing. I am pretty sure that an internal would be faster, but what would you prefer? I am still in the return window for the external drive, and an internal SATA is the same price. Thanks for any advice.
Internal. Definitely faster than FW400. Possibly faster than FW800, but only in the briefest of bursts when data comes from cache. But I'd fill both bays of the G5 before adding external storage, personally.

action
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2005, 08:41 PM

any internal option will cause an increase in fan noise. i have two additional drives internally via the sonnet sata 4+4 along with both stock drives filled and i have four external via the macgurus external case. the noise from the macgurus is not insignificant.

if you are doing any amount of video, you will need both internal and external expansion. i would definitely return your external drive and purchase a hotswapable case. i have the 4 bay macgurus sata enclosure and a two bay firewire 800 weibetech enclosure.

the weibetech is of higher quality in constuction and parts used then the macgurus but they both function as advertised.

here is a pic of my desk setup for size reference and a closer pick of the external cases.

http://chunglee.com/new/images/desk.jpg

http://chunglee.com/new/images/g5.jpg

chung lee

ps. i tried installing a third internal drive via the g5 bracket but the fans were spinning so loudly i had to disconnect it. i tried changing the thermal settings but the diagnostic disk said the temps were normal even though the fans were revving a full speed.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2005, 04:28 AM

Internal is better for reasons stated. I'll add that on my powermac g5 rev a dual 2.0 the firewire 400 transfer speeds are slower than my old Quicksilver G4 733. its quite a bit slower actually. I dont know why.

lilrabbit129
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 04:46 AM

Another vote for internal. I did just buy an external 250Gb HD for my powerbook though, but if I had a choice, I would definetly get an internal (if I owned a powermac).

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 06:48 AM

Internal, is cleaner. Why setup an external drive when you have an internal bay available. Just me. I use an external HD for backup purposes, it is only used when making backups, keeps my data safe.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2005, 09:12 AM

Both. Serial ATA external, maybe even RAID. As well as fill 'er up with RAM.
Also, a SeriTek/1VE4 will support native command queueing, native SATA internal does not.

jimbosyn  (op)
Forum Regular
May 20, 2005, 08:46 PM

Hello everyone. Thanks for all of the advice! I have purchased a samsung 160 gig drive for $99.00 at microcenter. http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...duct_id=181112 I have also gotten an extra 1gig of RAM. So as soon as my system gets here, I will have a dual 2.0 Ghz G5 with 1.5GIGs of ram an 2 160GB hdd. I just can't wait! So this presents another question. Should I stripe these drives with software raid for a fat 320giger? Or should I just keep the 2 160's seperate? I know this aids write performance, but I think that reads are actually a little slower. Anyone had experience with this?

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 03:12 PM

if you create a RAID1 out of these two drives (creating one ~300GB volume) you increase your risk of losing data significantly. when one of these two drives fail (not unthinkable with heavy video-editing use) your complete system environment is gone. if you can live with the benefit of fast reads vs higher risk, go ahead but make frequent backups.

if read performance is not that important i'd go for 2x160 setup. something i read in an "Eug topic" was to use one of your drives for the source media and another for the destination render, that way utilitizing both drives and getting optimum speed. if you use only one drive it will trash away alternating between reads and writes on different areas of the disk (this will decrease with SATA tagged-command-queueing which is only now becoming available and is not supported by the PM's SATA controller if i'm not mistaken).
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mousehouse
if you create a RAID1 out of these two drives (creating one ~300GB volume) you increase your risk of losing data significantly.
Stripped = RAID0.

You'll find that 300GB single drive w/ 16MB cache provides an excellent boot drive or for media. When I spoke of using RAID, I was thinking of a pair of drives, external.

Barefeats: SeriTek/1VE4

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gregory
Stripped = RAID0.
darn! off course you're right. raid0 is striping, raid1 is mirrorring, etc etc.
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

Forum Links
Forum Rules