Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > SATA drive recommendations

SATA drive recommendations
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2005, 08:31 AM

Inline with the largets SATA drive thread, I'm looking for an addition drive for my G5 dual 2.0 (rev b model). I'm down to 10 gig and as I use aperture and photoshop that will get eaten up rather quickly so I'm looking at installing a second hard drive.

I'm partial to seagate and maxtor - are there any models to avoid, while the barracuda drives are tempting its expensive to get anything larger then 80 gig, so a 7200rpm drive will have to do.

Mike

Chito
Senior User
Dec 7, 2005, 09:29 AM

I hear to stay away from the Seagate 7200.9 drives. Something with the SATA controller in Macs not recognizing them. Ton's of threads at Apple support about them. Look on www.dealmac.com there's a Seagate 7200.8 250 gb drive on sale for something like $70 after rebates. I'm also in the market to replace both of my 160 gb drives and am considering Seagate and Maxtor. I'm waiting for no rebate deals though.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2005, 01:12 PM

Maxtor 300GB drive for less than $150, either DM10 or MaxLine III. that is dirt cheap. One drive for system, one for media, and one for scratch (scratch can be RAID, but I'd max out the RAM first).

Never ever let your drive get below 15% free space, even more for boot volume. Photoshop eats up RAM for breakfast, and disk space for temp and scratch for lunch.

While out shopping, make sure you have two backup sets. One for system and two for data.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 01:14 PM

You want to avoid the 7200.8 drives as well, you want the 7200.7

200 gig drive for $50, with 5 year warrenty:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/400...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2005, 01:15 PM

Wow a lot of drives from seagate to avoid - how does maxtor stack up?

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 01:32 PM

seagate drives are normally great, and have the best warranties. There was just a bad batch of them from one of their plants. I've had a maxtor fail, my WD drive is failing, they all can fail eventually. Just find a good deal on a maxtor, WD or Seagate and you'll be fine. For what its worth, that 200 gig drive just got delivered to me 10 mins ago

Chito
Senior User
Dec 7, 2005, 01:36 PM

The drive you linked to is at PATA drive. He's looking at SATA.
I didn't know the 7200.8 drives were problamatic also. From what I've been reading on Apple's site that's what users are having success with. I might just go with Maxtor, shorter warranty or not.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2005, 01:37 PM

oh yea, whoops. I dunno, I read on fatwallet that people had problems with the 7200.8 drives as well.

Chito
Senior User
Dec 7, 2005, 01:50 PM

Thanks...I'll keep that in mind

new newton
Banned
Dec 7, 2005, 02:59 PM

I've got a couple of the DM10 Maxtor 250s in my G5. I'm happy with the performance and the sound levels. The one I use for backups seems a little flakey, however. I've got them both set to stay spun up all the time, but it sometimes fails. I've got an early G5, which had some issues with getting both drives spun up at start up, so I'm not sure if that's a contributing factor or not. I do have a feeling that I'll be making a warranty claim in the not so distant future.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2005, 10:00 PM

If you want a better sample of reliability anecdotes, look at StorageReview(.com) Drive Reliability Database.

Forum Links
Forum Rules