Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Network time update not working?

Network time update not working?
OmniRon
Oct 11, 2000, 04:25 PM

Am I the only one who can't get the Network Time Server feature in the Date & Time control panel to work? It used to work fine in 8.6, but since upgrading to 9.0.4, it won't work. I've even entered some new sites -- like the Naval Observatory -- in case Apple just got tired of supporting this, but no joy there either.

If I'm not the only one, let me know. Does anyone have a solution?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2000, 04:45 PM

try deleting the Date&Time prefs file, restart and rebuild desktop

Mark A Tilley
Oct 14, 2000, 07:09 AM

If you are using an older system with a geoport modem, that could be your problem (it was for me).

The geoport was as software modem which utilised the cpu to do all its work. With system upgrades, the cpu becomes more and more overworked and the geoport "spits the dummy". One of the consequences is for it to refuse to access the selected time servers. Another was for it to freeze up the entire system when trying to access a website with imbedded audio. This was a real pain for me because you couldn�t tell whether or not there was audio until you got there and by then it was too late! The system froze up and required a keyboard restart.

If this is your problem, you can overcome it (I�m told) by throwing out the modem card and installing an external modem. I took the more expensive option of buying a G4 � what a great machine!

Mark A Tilley

Mark A Tilley
Oct 14, 2000, 07:14 AM

If you are using an older system with a geoport modem, that could be your problem (it was for me).

The geoport was as software modem which utilised the cpu to do all its work. With system upgrades, the cpu becomes more and more overworked and the geoport "spits the dummy". One of the consequences is for it to refuse to access the selected time servers. Another was for it to freeze up the entire system when trying to access a website with imbedded audio. This was a real pain for me because you couldn�t tell whether or not there was audio until you got there and by then it was too late! The system froze up and required a keyboard restart.

If this is your problem, you can overcome it (I�m told) by throwing out the modem card and installing an external modem. I took the more expensive option of buying a G4 � what a great machine!

Mark A Tilley

Forum Links
Forum Rules