Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > buying a quiet drive for the mac pro, suggestions?

buying a quiet drive for the mac pro, suggestions?
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 01:21 AM

Ok, so I have my new shiny mac pro under my desk, with that new mac smell and all (love that smell) and well I want another hard drive, so I can install windows (about 40gb partition), and so I can store my masssive itunes library on... (85gb and growing) so basically I want at least a 250Gb drive, maybe a 350Gb anyways, I want something quiet...

SO, what drive would you reccomend that would be between 250-350 GB SATAII that is quiet?

I plan on ordering through newegg as I have bought all my parts from them in the past, but if you have a reccomendation let me know...

Thanks,
Zach

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2006, 09:52 AM

I would buy a pair of WD RE 250GB $103. You could even do a stripped RAID (just backup to a couple FW800 drives).

Some people find the stock drives from Seagate and WD to be slow (maybe older model revisions) but the latest WD RE offer 70MB/sec and quit. SilentPC gave the WD Caviar SE16 500GB "quietest drive" award.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2006, 06:19 PM

My 320GB Seagate is very quiet, even though it's in an external enclosure with very little damping.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording Technology) Hard Drive - OEM at Newegg.com

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2006, 03:34 AM

I found the stock 250 GB hard drive for the MacPro (WDC WD2500JS) quite quiet and fast. I actually decided to get another since I could use the extra storage now. In the future I might want to get a third drive to act as the extra storage and RAID up the 2 I currently have.
To be determined later.

Forum Links
Forum Rules