Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > transferring files/programs exactly

transferring files/programs exactly
sarahmacbook7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 04:20 PM

Hello! I recently got two macbooks. They are both slightly used. One is black, the other is white. I like the white better because it is faster and a newer model. The problem is, I like the programs installed on the black one. So when I start up the white one, it asks me if I want to transfer files from an old macbook. If I do this, do all programs get transferred too? Not just "files". Coz I want to keep copies of iWork and Adobe Creative Suite. If they get transferred, will they be working just like in the other macbook? I mean, no need for new registration keys and installation (like plug ins) what nots.

Because if I can't transfer them, I guess I'll give up the white macbook.

Thanks!!!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2007, 04:40 PM

Creative Suite requires activation. I don't believe it will work if you transfer it between computers.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2007, 04:45 PM

You can choose what to transfer using migration assistant. Assuming you have the activation keys for ACS, you should be fine. You have them, right?

OreoCookie
Jun 14, 2007, 05:24 PM

Use Migration Assistant to move your data from one machine to the other. Migration Assistant will also transfer your Adobe apps, but won't/can't solve the licence issue (that's the whole point of having to register your app). If you have a licensing key, you can use that, obviously, and everything should work just fine
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

sarahmacbook7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 05:37 PM

Oh! Thanks for all the replys!!
Haha.. I actually have the Windows ACS but nothing for Mac.. Oh well, I guess I'll stick with the older MacBook. Hihihi!!! (wink)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2007, 05:41 PM

Could you try swapping the drives? That might work. I'm not sure what the activation looks at.

roller
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2007, 05:54 PM

I have used the Migration assistant many times on the computers in my lab. It transfers everything you request, including apps. I have never had an issue with Creative Suite not working, FWIW...
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Forum Links
Forum Rules