Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > resumable downloads in ie5

resumable downloads in ie5
nemo
Oct 1, 2000, 03:04 PM

is there a script or add on app which will allow this?
why has it not been built in when it could have been?

Sebastien
Oct 1, 2000, 06:37 PM

Normally, this should happen automatically, if the server on the other end supports it (most do). I don't think there's any actual script to do it though, although there are some download managers available (Monica comes to mind)

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2000, 08:35 AM

if you wish to cnacel a download in progress, double click on the item in the download manager, you will see how to cancel it and subsequently 'reload' it... there's a button to do both cancel and, upon selecting the item again, to reload (resume) that item being downloaded

nemo
Oct 2, 2000, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by wlonh:
if you wish to cnacel a download in progress, double click on the item in the download manager, you will see how to cancel it and subsequently 'reload' it... there's a button to do both cancel and, upon selecting the item again, to reload (resume) that item being downloaded
Thanks for the replies
I knew about monica and the reload stuff, my browser has never resumed a download though, it has always replaced the partially loaded file. I have my desktop folder set as the download location and I wonder if this makes any difference.
Anyway check this out: http://support.microsoft.com/support...-GB&SD=gn&FR=0
Microsoft claim IE for Mac does not support resumable downloads(it doesn't specify which version it refers to)

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2000, 08:51 AM

they can claim whatever they want, IE does resume downloads, even if it should crash during one... it happened to me ONCE and upon relaunching IE it asked me if i wanted to resume the downlaod...

i use IE 4.5.1 and 5.0

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2000, 10:48 AM

Also depends on how you're downloading: FTP is much easier to resume than HTTP downloads. I think there's a component on the server side as well.

-pwc

pdot
Senior User
Oct 3, 2000, 06:26 PM

IE only tries to resume downloads if it's a "normal" crash. IE crashed on me sometimes w/o displaying an error and when I start it back up, I have to do the downloads all over again.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

SamBoy
Oct 8, 2000, 01:59 AM

Of course, this feature is useless when IE crashes and disapears from the screen (as it often does), and doesn't release the file, meaning a restart before continuing the download.

And then, since IE is convinced it didn't do anyting wrong, it doesn't automatically offer to resume it; and whatever was already downloaded is usually lost.

Sebastien
Oct 8, 2000, 02:13 AM

my favorite 'feature' is when IE goes into the eternal 'busy-pointer' after deleting an item from the download manager, thereby locking the user out of his/her system totally. Way to go MS!

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2000, 09:20 AM

well, folks... shoot me but i never ever have these issues with either IE 4.5.1 or 5.0

you obviously have something wrong with your Macs or do not know or understand how easy it is to make IE work properly, period and end of story.

it is absolutely and undeniably a fact that IE does not ever crash on me, this is a cold and hard fact... it works as perfectly as any software can.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-10-2000).]

Sebastien
Oct 10, 2000, 08:21 PM

Just to add to what I mentioned above (locked system, busy pointer)...

I never got these problems when I locked the "Download Cache" in the Explorer folder.

(P.S. It is true that some search results links return errors (404) at times)

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 10-10-2000).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2000, 12:19 AM

troubles and how to KILL them dead as hell: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000303.html

how did i find this bit of ancient history? searched the forum.

Forum Links
Forum Rules