Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE Crash and multiple users

IE Crash and multiple users
vander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2000, 08:41 PM

Explorer is crashing on me as soon as it opens its first window. It brings my whole system down. I tried reinstalling, getting rid of the cache, trashing my internet prefs...anything I could think of. Nothing has worked.

I'm running multiple users on my home machine and I asked my brother to try and run it when he was logged in, thinking it would do the same thing (crash) for him.

It didn't. Works fine when he's logged in.

What I'm wondering is why. I have nothing new or different in my system since IE worked for me. Any suggestions?

I don't run Office or any other MS products. I'm running 9.0.4.
------
Wake now discover that you are the song that the morning brings.

toh
Oct 11, 2000, 01:17 PM

Try removing the "Explorer" directory and "MS Internet Cache" file from your Preferences folder (meaning Multiple Users's idea of "your", naturally). The HTML and XML files in the former can cause IE to choke if they're corrupted, and the cache file has some unknown internal binary structure that might also become corrupt. Along with some of the contents of the Internet Preferences file you've already tried, that's about all there is specific to IE on your system. You should be using the same set of library files in the Extensions folder that your brother is.

vander  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2000, 03:36 PM

It worked! Thanks!
------
Wake now discover that you are the song that the morning brings.

EricDD
Oct 13, 2000, 11:17 AM

Just out of curiosity, what is the explorer directory-I don't see it in my prefs folder. thanks. Eric

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2000, 11:25 AM

there is no such thing by name... i believe he meant delete the contents of the Explorer folder (EXCEPT for the Favorites.html file, as that is the Bookmarks file) found in the Preferences folder in the System Folder

and btw, i have posted that bit ad nauseum to this forum... doubtless that is where he got the info

EricDD
Oct 13, 2000, 11:55 AM

thanks. just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something as I didnt remembe rading about that before. Eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules