Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > whicj video card to get?

whicj video card to get?
dennisuello
Dec 20, 2004, 01:10 PM

should add ATI Technologies RADEON 9200 128Mb PCI card ($120) or replace stock Rage Pro with ATI Technologies RADEON 9000 PRO MAC EDITION 128MB AGP ($130)? both have the same amount of VRAM, but which will give me better performance? PCI or AGP in my Sawtooth?
( Last edited by dennisuello; Dec 20, 2004 at 02:17 PM. )

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2004, 01:44 PM

Sawtooth G4s have AGP slots, which means you really, really, really, really, REALLY want an AGP video card. PCI video cards are meant for computers that don't have AGP slots, and as secondary video cards. The interface is a bit slower and you also won't get Quartz Extreme support from a video card in a PCI slot.

Also, the amount of video RAM isn't that important. 128 MB is more than either of those video cards could ever use. You should have at least 64 MB, though. Less than that and you might be restricting the graphics card.

Finally, the Radeon 9000 and the Radeon 9200 are about the same speed. In fact, I think the 9000 Pro is slightly faster than the 9200. That's just ATI's messed up naming scheme.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2004, 01:49 PM

can a sawtooth take a modded 9600?

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

dennisuello  (op)
Dec 20, 2004, 02:11 PM

I also have a 17" Studio Display with VGA cable. 9200 card has a VGA port while 9000 doesn't. What would it take to run my monitor or any other VGA monitor off of 9000?

My stock Rage Pro with 16Mb VRAM just doesn't cut it for any serious games.
( Last edited by dennisuello; Dec 20, 2004 at 02:18 PM. )

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2004, 02:58 PM

Weezer: No, the 9600 Pro is an AGP 8x/4x card and will not physically fit into a 2x AGP slot. Otherwise that's what I'd recommend.

Dennis: The 9000 Pro should come with a DVI to VGA adapter. Just plug that into the DVI port in order to connect your VGA monitor and you're all set. The 9000 Pro is not an excellent gaming card, but it's okay. If you want more performance, I'd suggest a GeForce 4 Titanium. They generally run about $200 on eBay. Something like this.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

dennisuello  (op)
Dec 20, 2004, 04:38 PM

i'm not big on playing games, but some demos i downloaded ran very poorly and were only ok, when i lowered all graphics settings to the Low level. the processor is fast, i have enough RAM, but the graphics card lags behind.

i'll get the 9000 then, since it includes the adapter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules