Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple higher end laptop updates?

Apple higher end laptop updates?
peterauch21
Nov 29, 2006, 10:37 AM

How long does apple wait to release the smaller 12 inch versions of their high end laptops? In this case.. How long til we see a 12 inch MBP and do they generally have high end graphic cards in them? What are your experiances with the 12 inch laptops?

dennisuello
Nov 29, 2006, 11:58 AM

I doubt there will be a 12" Pro laptop. Apple is going widescreen and 12" widescreen LCD will not be tall enough.

peterauch21  (op)
Nov 30, 2006, 09:50 AM

No other thoughts? They have dropped the 12" models?

bloodline
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2006, 11:07 AM

Yup the 12" has gone. It's not coming back... a 13" MBP seems resonable, but the existing models are selling better than any Apple computer in history... so I doubt we can expect any updates to the form factor.
( Last edited by bloodline; Nov 30, 2006 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling... :-()
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by peterauch21 View Post
How long does apple wait to release the smaller 12 inch versions of their high end laptops? In this case.. How long til we see a 12 inch MBP and do they generally have high end graphic cards in them? What are your experiances with the 12 inch laptops?
I agree that a 12" is unlikely with the widescreen format.

I fully expect a 13-14" MBP or "Macbook Thin" to show up, perhaps at Mac Expo SF in January. There is plenty of room in the laptop line between existing MBs with their many limitations and the pro series MBPs with minimum 15.4" size. No "executive 'Book" currently exists and it is a fat market Apple should go after.

-Allen Wicks

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I agree that a 12" is unlikely with the widescreen format.

I fully expect a 13-14" MBP or "Macbook Thin" to show up, perhaps at Mac Expo SF in January. There is plenty of room in the laptop line between existing MBs with their many limitations and the pro series MBPs with minimum 15.4" size. No "executive 'Book" currently exists and it is a fat market Apple should go after.

-Allen Wicks

I would like to see a "ThinBook". Back in the '90s I had an HP Omnibook Sojourn. It was way ahead of it's time in terms of "cool" factor. It weighed just a couple of pounds and was .7" thin. It had it's limitations but at the time I travelled a lot and it was easy to lug around.

An ultra thin "executive" notebook would compliment Apple's current line-up nicely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules