Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does Airport Extreme suck or my router?

Does Airport Extreme suck or my router?
ujeni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 10:25 PM

I have a rev b 12" with airport extreme and a linksys router. I have a full five bar signal, but it is so slow. As soon as I use the ethernet connection everything jumps to 300k per second...so i know the internetconnection is solid.

Am I missing something here? My wife's ibook with regular airport seems faster than my airport extreme!

Please tell me that I am missing some setting on the router. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 11:08 PM

Hmmmm... might have the answer, but I want to look into this a little closer. Gimme a hot minute. Thought I read something about b+g sharing a router...

H!
--
En Guarde!

IntelliVince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 07:43 PM

Hello there, this is my first post so please excuse me. I have not fully confirmed it, but what Ohenri may be getting at might be true. I have heard from someone that in order to get the "extreme" from your airport card, all of the users for the network must be using the faster wireless cards. Once one person uses the 11mbps cards, it slows everyone down. A test that you may want to try is to use ONLY your computer on the network and see how fast it goes. Hopefully you'll be downloading faster. I too am looking to gain some insight into how this new wireless system works.

Also, a while back, I bought a wireless linksys G router and didn't notice much of a speed performance, and so I returned it. At the time I was using a 54mbps card and my dad used a 11mbps card so maybe that's why I didn't see an increase in performance. At the time I wasn't aware of what setup might be required. Good luck.
Most of the time you gotta do it
yourself!

Powerbook G4 667

justinf77
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 07:50 PM

I just had the EXACT same problem, but in reverse. My new 15" AlBook with AExtreme had a quick connection, while my mom's iMac was unusably slow. I went into my router settings (Netgear MR814) and changed the region to USA and the channel to 1 (it was on 11). Both are FLYING now. Amazing difference. Try experimenting with a couple of different channels.

Hope this helps!

Justin

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2003, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by justinf77:
I just had the EXACT same problem, but in reverse. My new 15" AlBook with AExtreme had a quick connection, while my mom's iMac was unusably slow. I went into my router settings (Netgear MR814) and changed the region to USA and the channel to 1 (it was on 11). Both are FLYING now. Amazing difference. Try experimenting with a couple of different channels.

Hope this helps!

Justin
AARRGG. If I could only remember my username and password...is there a way to reset a netgear router?

cambro
Senior User
Dec 16, 2003, 08:56 AM

My Uncle's linksys router also reverts to VERY slow settings. It goes from transfer rates of lousy 128 Kbs to well over 3 Mbs after fixing it!!! Talk about a huge increase in speed. AE has NOTHING to do with it...the speed limitation is not your wireless connection but the internet itself (unless you are doing intranet stuff).

Here are the things that you must do to 'fix' or reset the router:

1) Go to the setup page for the router. It is a specific IP address that I can't remember right now, but it should be in your documentation. Your default username and password are 'admin'.

2) Click on Advanced and then navigate to the page with the speed settings (Advanced->wireless, I think).

3) Make sure the two or so speed drop down menu's are set on the highest speed settings.

4) If they are, click apply anyway.

Doing these steps results in huge speed increases on our Linksys router. Sometimes, for whatever reason, it just slows down. Clicking apply in the setup always fixes the problem (so far).

Good luck.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2003, 03:41 PM

I have a linksys wireless-G broadband router and can assure you it can deliver high speed (better than an airport base station).

I've downloaded files from the net at +300K many many times.

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
I have a linksys wireless-G broadband router and can assure you it can deliver high speed (better than an airport base station).

I've downloaded files from the net at +300K many many times.
I too have the linksys wireless G router and it works great. Interestingly enough however, with my 12" PB planted right in front of it, I get full bars showing on the apple menu but when I go into internet connect, it's below max by about 3 notches. You'd think it would be at max sitting right in front of the antenna.

justinf77
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 10:15 PM

Netgear default login information:

user: admin
password: password

if not, do a hard reset. Something to do with holding the reset button down for 10 seconds.... look it up on the netgear support site or your manual.

Forum Links
Forum Rules