Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac G5: Super Drive capable of burning dual-layer DVDs?

PowerMac G5: Super Drive capable of burning dual-layer DVDs?
orsadude2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 05:46 PM

I have a Powermac G5. I was using iMovie to make a DVD. The movie is 2.5 hours. When I tried to burn to DVD, I got a message stating that I didn't have enough room on the DVD or I could use a DL DVD. In researching on DVD's, I've discovred that you must have a Dual Layer DVD burner to use the DL DVD. My question. Don't Powermac G5's come with Dual Layer DVD burners as standard equipment? Asked another way...if I go buy these expensive 9GB DL-DVD R's will they work?

feeling a bit foolish,

BTW...I did hit the about this mac button and selected disc burning. I can't decipher this stuff:

HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4165B:
Firmware Revision: C006
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media:
Media Type: DVD-RW
Blank: Yes
Erasable: Yes
Overwritable: Yes
Appendable: Yes
orsadude2

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2007, 05:55 PM

Yes, you seem to have a writer capable of writing +R DL discs. However, if I were in your position I would split the disc into two parts or edit it down because I don't think too many DVD players would be able to play +R DL discs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

orsadude2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Yes, you seem to have a writer capable of writing +R DL discs. However, if I were in your position I would split the disc into two parts or edit it down because I don't think too many DVD players would be able to play +R DL discs.
That makes sense. How would I go about calculating how much editing to do to? How much time will a regular DVD take up. I figure most movies are about 90 minutes. That means I would have to lose an hour...yipes!
orsadude2

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2007, 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure the current version if iDVD allows up to 2 hours on a DVD5 (the single layer kind), with the understanding that quality will be reduced somewhat. I don't know how long it would let you fit on a dual layer disc, but I think 2.5 hours should fit.

Also, I don't think DVD players are any more finicky about +R DL vs normal +R. Just about all studio DVDs are dual layer, so obviously your player can read two layers.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2007, 08:38 PM

This is one thing that irritates me about iDVD; you can fit an arbitrary amount of time on a DVD. The maximum data rate is 9600kbps (which allows 1 hour on a single-layer DVD), but I'm not aware of any minimum bit rate (of course it looks worse as you lower the bit rate) in the DVD standard. Since iDVD arbitrarily enforces a 2 hour maximum for a single layer DVD, I'd guess they also include a 4 hour maximum for a dual layer DVD.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2007, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Wrong. Most standalone DVD players will play DVD+R DL (dual layer) discs just fine. All three of mine do.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2007, 10:15 PM

VideoHelp.com - HD-DVD, Bluray and DVD Player Compatibility List will tell you what type of disks your DVD player will work with.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
This is one thing that irritates me about iDVD; you can fit an arbitrary amount of time on a DVD. The maximum data rate is 9600kbps (which allows 1 hour on a single-layer DVD), but I'm not aware of any minimum bit rate (of course it looks worse as you lower the bit rate) in the DVD standard. Since iDVD arbitrarily enforces a 2 hour maximum for a single layer DVD, I'd guess they also include a 4 hour maximum for a dual layer DVD.
Apple apps (especially iApps) are first and formost dedicated to making hard things easy. They "just work." Or to put it another way, they protect the user from options which, though possible, are wrong. A DVD that plays but looks like crap is not "Just working," at least not to most people.

Also, I think there is a lower limit in the spec, at about 2 mpbs. For scenes with any amount of action, even this will be unwatchable. Constant bitrate encoders are more dependable, and that's what they chose.

OreoCookie
Jan 5, 2007, 07:01 AM

Please choose more reasonable titles, people!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules