Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari Question

Safari Question
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2003, 09:49 AM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if Safari could do this:
I have a 56K connection at home and want to download stuff during the night, but if I get a list of stuff to download they all start to download together, making the downloads go really slow. Is there a way like IE to only have it download 1 file at a time??

Thanks for any help!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2003, 09:56 AM

Assuming you want all the files to be downloaded by the time you wake up in the morning, it doesn't matter whether they happen one after the other or at the same time. Yes, each individual download will take longer. But they'll all get done eventually.

eg - Download a 10MB file and a 20MB file. One after the other, 10MB takes 30 minutes, 20MB takes half an hour. 1.5 hours total. Download both at the same time, 30MB takes 1.5 hours.

Hope I made sense.

And, to answer your other question, no, Safari does not offer the ability to download one file at a time just yet. Submit it as a "Bug" and you might get lucky.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

andycroll
Feb 27, 2003, 10:33 AM

It actually makes it more efficient as well. More of you bandwidth will be utilised. If your downloading files one at a time then you're limited if a file is being sent slowly, if you have another running concurrently then it could utilise any other open bandwidth.

This means you overall time is less, as you're using your bandwidth more effectively.

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2003, 01:17 PM

may I suggest a download manager like iGetter?
just paste all your download links into it, and you can set them to download 1 at a time - or 3 at a time - or all at once.
it also resumes, which is handy if your connection drops out

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2003, 02:45 PM

Thanks Nathan and thanks to everyone else for their help. I am going to try iGetter!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Forum Links
Forum Rules