Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 350mW Laser Pointer

350mW Laser Pointer
Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2006, 11:27 PM

Weezer
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 11:31 PM

I guess that's cool and all, but wtf would you do with it besides accidently hurt/blind yourself?

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Oct 30, 2006, 11:32 PM

wow....

it's like a lightsabre

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 11:32 PM

SWEET! I'm getting one as soon I find one on eBay!!11!

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
SWEET! I'm getting one as soon I find one on eBay!!11!

There is one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hercules-handhel...QQcmdZViewItem

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 31, 2006, 01:16 AM

That is one expensive cat toy.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
That is one expensive cat toy.
Yeah, but how many cat toys can set your cat on fire?

"I start fires!"

red rocket
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
I guess that's cool and all, but wtf would you do with it besides accidently hurt/blind yourself?
Quite a bit, actually:

Originally Posted by LaserGlow
Our high-power handheld lasers have many uses, we could go on for hours talking about all of the applications of a handheld high-power laser, but here are just some ideas:

STAR POINTING:

Our handheld lasers are perfect for star-pointing by astronomy clubs. This application requires continuous operation, for which the GHL series are perfectly suited.

CONSTRUCTION:

Quite a few of our GHL lasers have been sold into the construction industry, they are perfect for alignment, even in full daylight!

RESEARCH:

Several of these units have gone to Universities for research purposes, as the GHL series are a relatively inexpensive green laser source, with the added feature of being portable.

EDUCATION:

High Schools have purchased these handhelds for science demonstrations in class. Experiments such as popping a balloon at a distance are very popular and really get the attention of students.

TELEVISION/FILM:

Some of these units have gone to the film industry and are used for everything from special effects to set directing in brightly lit conditions.

The uses are limitless! Use your imagination, and use caution!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
STAR POINTING:

Our handheld lasers are perfect for star-pointing by astronomy clubs. This application requires continuous operation, for which the GHL series are perfectly suited.

This is 400mW. If you point it into the sky you will see a solid shaft of green light, not some ghostly beam. Pointing a laser into the sky is a felony in the united states.

EDUCATION:

High Schools have purchased these handhelds for science demonstrations in class. Experiments such as popping a balloon at a distance are very popular and really get the attention of students.
$2000 to pop a balloon? I'll mail you a $0.01 pin instead.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2006, 10:41 AM

This laser is not a toy. I will not sell to anyone under 18. If you are irresponsible with this device, you can do anything from getting a small burn to blinding yourself. This laser has 400mW of concentrated energy. That is enough to burn skin, light a match, pop a baloon, light paper on fire, its alot of energy. This is not your average 5mW laser pointer. This is 400mW. If you point it into the sky you will see a solid shaft of green light, not some ghostly beam. Pointing a laser into the sky is a felony in the united states. If you get hit with this laser, it may burn you. Avoid direct eye contact with the beam or you risk eye damage. If pointed at a plane, it can and will blind the pilot. If you look at the dot on a white surface it may cause you eye damage. Because of this, I am including a pair of red safety goggles that I bought for $130, for free, not to make this a better offer, because I dont want to get sued for some kid who burned a hole through his eye and out the back of his thick head.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 10:44 AM

Wow, this thing just went from cool to awesome.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
Quite a bit, actually:
Originally Posted by Laser Glow
STAR POINTING:

That one is illegal, now, unfortunately.

No problems for 10 years, but then the terrorists attack and all the sudden planes are falling out of the sky because a dad is giving his daughter an astronomy lesson.

I've been told laser-pointers can set off missile alarms on airplanes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

davidflas
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 01:27 PM

This past Thursday I led some night hikes for kids and their parents at the local nature center. One of the parents had one of these, its awsome!! We all turned off our flashlights and he pointed at different stars and constellations. It projects a very bright green beam of light way up into the sky. I had no idea what we did was a felony!!!
( Last edited by davidflas; Oct 31, 2006 at 01:42 PM. )
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I've been told laser-pointers can set off missile alarms on airplanes.
Once again: Awesome.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2006, 01:35 PM

They should call it the "Lil Hellraiser"

Splinter
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 01:58 PM

get your wimpy 200-350 laser pointer out of here take the spyder laser! 300-450mw reaches 120 miles and will melt plastic and light cigars and cigarettes

Wicked Lasers

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post
This is 400mW. If you point it into the sky you will see a solid shaft of green light, not some ghostly beam. Pointing a laser into the sky is a felony in the united states.
No it isn't. And if you believe otherwise then please supply title and section of the USC.

What is illegal is to knowingly aim a laser at an aircraft, which is a world of difference from merely pointing a laser into the sky.

-S

marden
Baninated
Nov 18, 2006, 04:56 AM

I just found one that is more wicked than that one.

In fact they're called wicked lasers!

Ok, so they're not but they are...but they ARE.

Let's get something straight, you’ve come to the wrong place if you are looking for a laser pointer. We do not sell laser pointers. Wicked Lasers can burn, slash, melt plastic and when your lighter runs dry, it’ll even light up your smoke. This is a joke right? Well you can see here. Have you seen videos like that anywhere else? Didn’t think so. Can your laser pointer do that? Didn’t think so.

This is the real deal. you want to wield true power, otherwise you wouldn't be here. And since you are here, I'm sure you have seen those presentation or keychain laser pointers before. Maybe you even have a few lying around in your basement or connected to your keychain. Do you think you will light cigarettes or power a LaserSaber with that? We sure don't. Not even close. What makes a red laser pointer "ultimate" or "extreme"? That it can point a dot 100 meters away? Big deal. Ours blasts a laser beam for over 100 miles. And its the exact same size. It's so wicked, it will make you sick.

So what the hell are these lasers? These are the same lasers you see being used by the US army to wreak havoc on the enemy's senses to disorientate them, and you think to yourself "What an overkill" And you know what? You're right. But who cares? If you find these lasers offensive, dangerous, or whatever… feel free to leave this website at anytime. We're not here to waste your time. We're here to show you what real power is. It's no secret that we're selling lasers here. And once you see what we're offering, you will be blown away.
Laser Pointers, Blue, Green & Red Lasers

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2006, 11:58 PM

I want to go to the State Fair and start knocking off kids balloons from a nearby building.

Yes, nothing is more fun than traumatizing children for life.

Kid: "Mommy, why does god hate my balloons?"
Mom: "Because you're a dirty little sinner and are going to hell."

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Nov 19, 2006, 05:08 AM

Thats awesome... I wonder if i can find Master Yoda so he can teach me how to fight with that thing... A Lightsaber is a wonderful tool

marden
Baninated
Nov 19, 2006, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I want to go to the State Fair and start knocking off kids balloons from a nearby building.

Yes, nothing is more fun than traumatizing children for life.

Kid: "Mommy, why does god hate my balloons?"
Mom: "Because you're a dirty little sinner and are going to hell."
That's funny!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2006, 10:10 PM

I wonder when kids will start burning out random peoples retinas? Oh they have a Blu-Ray one, I know what I'm getting for Christmas!!!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2006, 01:18 AM

WW! 350-400mW is a lot of power in a hand-held laser pointer.

I remember 5 years ago getting my then-wife a 5mW green laser pointer as a pre-graduation present so she could use it during her dissertation defense--Among the science-nerd set she traveled in at the time green lasers were the sh!t. It cost over $200. I wonder if she still has it, it was pretty freaking cool. Now she works for NASA getting paid to shoot laser beams into and through the atmosphere. I guess that laser pointer I gave her made a difference after all.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

red rocket
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 06:15 AM

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2007, 11:11 PM

I won't be impressed until I see some sharks with frickin' laser pointers on their heads.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

alligator
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 08:35 AM

I'd actually like to use these for experimentation. Has anyone here actually purchased one?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 08:58 AM

350mW... pffft. That's like years away from anything truly destructive, though popping baloons is kinda cool.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by onefreakedoutguy View Post
seriously, wicked lasers is by far the best! Excellent customer service and technical support, totally powerful products (you should try their spider gx or the 125mW), lots of laser accessories, and most important of all - guaranteed warranty! their lasers are as wicked as it sounds! keep it up guys!
Spam?

While I agree that Wicked is the best site out there, and runs the best community site, they have had their shares of problems with their products, specifically the Evos. I believe they finally got that under control; my Evo has been fine since I got one from their new batch.

I highly suggest everyone check out Laser Community Forum :: Red, Blue, Green Lasers and Laser Pointers

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I'd actually like to use these for experimentation. Has anyone here actually purchased one?
I have a 125mW Evo. I've always wanted a laser since my dad brought one home when I was a kid. You can't really DO anything with it except pop balloons and such, and you absof'nlutely NEED goggles when using it. You'd never think you can get so much light out of a pair of AAA batteries. I have yet to use it for star pointing. It's damn fun to use in the dark. I can't stress enough how a simple glare can be harmful to your eyes so don't treat this like the $1 laser pointer you get in the bargain bins and for God's sake, don't be #(*)($ stupid and point it at aircraft!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 10:20 AM

I'd be terrified of burning a hole through my hand with one of those things.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 11:28 AM

That won't happen. It'll sting, though.

Ironmarshall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'd be terrified of burning a hole through my hand with one of those things.
NO WAY!!!

I have a 125mW Viper from Dragonlasers It can do stuff like burn paper but to seriously burn your hand, no way.

It will sting after a few seconds but lasers around 125-130mW don't produce enough energy for serious burning. The bodies natural cooling system works too well. Maybe burnin hair, have to try that

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2007, 10:23 AM

I have a little 40mW...it can't burn anything but you can see the beam at least.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 11:11 PM

Can you fry ants with a 350mW laser pointer? Who needs the sun and a magnifying glass!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by qnxde View Post
I have a little 40mW...it can't burn anything but you can see the beam at least.
What do you do with it?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
What do you do with it?
He watches the beam, DUH.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2007, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
What do you do with it?
Not much, the cat likes to chase it though.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules