Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The iPhone

The iPhone (Page 19)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 12:29 PM

Why do i hate this guy ? .... Link

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
So does that mean that the 4GB model has only 3GB free? Or is it possible that it's actually got 5GB of flash, with 1GB reserved for the system? I still think it's pretty unlikely for Apple to advertise the iPhone as having 4GB/8GB of storage if a significant portion of that can't actually be used for storage.
Nobody will know until they can get their hands on one. But 4GB and 8GB are standard sizes for flash memory. Apple would have to go out of their way to put 5GB in there...unlikely. Your iPod is the same way--the operating system takes away from the memory capacity of the iPod. I expect the phone will be the same. By the way, your computer is the same as well. Your OS and your apps take space on the hard drive--space that you could otherwise use.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 12:33 PM

Well yes, but the point is that Apple is coming off of a precedent of dozens of iPod models. If the OS on the iPod does take up some of the storage space, it's a very small amount. Why couldn't they have 1GB of flash reserved for the OS and 4GB of separate flash for storage of music, photos and video?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yeah, a bazillion years ago. 28 MIPS at 33 MHz.
I could have sworn the Newton 2000 and 2100 were close to 200MHz and they flew compared to the old models.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 02:14 PM

( Last edited by shifuimam; Jan 18, 2007 at 10:48 PM. )
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Does anyone know if it might be possible to stream music through an Airport Express via Wifi from an iPhone through Airtunes? I assume its a pretty simple thing to implement, unless that sort of thing requires something like an Airport card. I think that would be a really cool feature if it were possible. I would love to be able play music from my iPhone through the speakers of my home stereo, and be able to do so at my dad's place whenever I visit.
I'm guessing it will work with AppleTV. Go over to your friend's house with a slideshow or a movie and have the AppleTV recognize the device on the wireless network and be able to play it on a nice big HDTV. That is certainly part of apple's plan.

kman

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
A $1 salary, but lots and lots of special presents from the board of directors. Lots of stock options. Let's see...income tax tops at 35%. Capital gains tax tops at 15%. I hardly think that Jobs is taking a well-publicized $1 annual salary just because he's such a great, unselfish guy..
ZOMG!!!!! You mean Steve Jobs isn't voluntarily starving?! Call the ****ing Times!!!!!!

Seriously, welcome to Earth.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Why do i hate this guy ? .... Link
I don't know, why do you hate this guy? Do you not like it that he asked these questions?

Will its screen scratch as easily as the iPod Nano's does?

Will it be as unreliable as the iPod range appears to be? (I speak from bitter experience.)

Why does it have a built-in battery, just like the iPods?

Will users have to send their phones back to Apple when the batteries give up the ghost?

How robust is the mobile version of OS X - the phone's operating system?

Why is the mobile connectivity not 3G?

And how did Apple come to overlook the awkward fact that the 'iPhone' name belongs to Cisco?
Do you not like it that this guy doesn't just blindly state that the iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread?

Even people on these boards have asked the exact same questions. Do you hate all of them as well?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I don't know, why do you hate this guy? Do you not like it that he asked these questions?

Do you not like it that this guy doesn't just blindly state that the iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread?

Even people on these boards have asked the exact same questions. Do you hate all of them as well?
Perhaps it's because the way he asks them makes him sound like a bitter asshole.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Perhaps it's because the way he asks them makes him sound like a bitter asshole.
That pretty much sums it up. The sad thing is that he is bitter about which computer show got the more media coverage. The bigger boring one or the smaller interesting one.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 03:47 PM

Maybe someone here can answer:

We don't have Cingular here in Montana, but we have a Cingular "partner" called Chinook Wireless. If I were to sign up with them, or sign up for Cingular elsewhere with a non-roaming plan, what capabilities of the iPhone would/would not work?

My guess of things that would work:

* The iPod part
* The phone for basic calling
* Net stuff via WiFi

Things that probably wouldn't work:

* Net surfing via cellular network
* Visual voicemail

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom View Post

We don't have Cingular here in Montana, but we have a Cingular "partner" called Chinook Wireless. If I were to sign up with them, or sign up for Cingular elsewhere with a non-roaming plan, what capabilities of the iPhone would/would not work?

* The iPod part
* Net stuff via WiFi

* Visual voicemail

Anyone have any thoughts about this?
You'll have to ask them. Do they support EDGE yet? I glanced around their site and they make no mention of it, except in recent press releases saying EDGE is part of their plan.

You should realize though that Jobs was pretty clear that it was a Cingular exclusive, which probably means that small time carriers like Chinook will get nada. It sounds like you'd be on Cingular, and roaming on Chinook = $$$$.

P.S. Did they do a complete switch from CDMA --> GSM?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 04:07 PM

We don't have Cingular here in Montana, but we have a Cingular "partner" called Chinook Wireless.
Chinook may be getting a new name - GTP bought the towers. http://www.wirelessweek.com/article/CA6340070.html

If I were to sign up with them, or sign up for Cingular elsewhere with a non-roaming plan, what capabilities of the iPhone would/would not work?
Listen, always sign up for a plan with roaming. the minimal cost over a year's time defeats any charges they would get you for, for one time's roaming.

http://www.cingular.com/download/GPRS_coverage_410.pdf is the GPRS coverage. That's baby-EDGE, but you'd get a connect. So the wireless internet over phone would work for you in a small strip of Montana in the future.

http://www.cingular.com/support/images/maps/nat_gsm.gif shows better coverage of Montana for voice.

http://www.3riverswireless.com/index.php?page=coverage shows that the map is the same as Cingular's.

* The iPod part
* Net stuff via WiFi
Yes.

Gotta be in that strip that is designated as future GPRS network on the coverage map above.
* Visual voicemail
Since it's a network wide change, and Chinook is on the network, it's got to work.

Figure, you can't be roaming and not have voicemail working. This is a smartphone, for use when traveling- voicemail has to work on networks around the world, not just when you're on a Cingular tower.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2007, 04:11 PM

Nothing will prevent you from dialing the normal free voicemail number...

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 04:15 PM

GPRS is not really baby EDGE. GPRS is totally useless for serious surfing. GPRS is usually about 1/3rd of dialup speed. At least EDGE is faster than dialup.

IOW, expect EDGE to be 5X as fast as GPRS or more, but even EDGE is annoyingly slow for serious surfing.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 04:21 PM

P.S. Did they do a complete switch from CDMA --> GSM?
I think they did complete the switch to GSM sometime this year. Or they are still completing it.

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Listen, always sign up for a plan with roaming. the minimal cost over a year's time defeats any charges they would get you for, for one time's roaming.
I roam quite often - it's the nature of cell service in Montana. You go to Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, you are roaming. Unless you are on one of the nationwide no-roams.

If you stay in one place for most of the time, it probably would be good to not pay the extra.

http://www.cingular.com/download/GPRS_coverage_410.pdf is the GPRS coverage. That's baby-EDGE, but you'd get a connect. So the wireless internet over phone would work for you in a small strip of Montana in the future.
That small strip of Montana just happens to be where most of the population is. Right along I-90. Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Missoula.

http://www.cingular.com/support/images/maps/nat_gsm.gif shows better coverage of Montana for voice.

Chinook Wireless - Montana's own largest all-digital PCS provider. shows that the map is the same as Cingular's.
Thanks for posting these, they are informative.

Since it's a network wide change, and Chinook is on the network, it's got to work.

Figure, you can't be roaming and not have voicemail working. This is a smartphone, for use when traveling- voicemail has to work on networks around the world, not just when you're on a Cingular tower.
I figure that you'd fall back to "old fashioned" voicemail when not in an area that supports visual voicemail.

I wonder if it's possible to sign up for service outside of Montana with Cingular and keep my number. I doubt it though.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 04:23 PM

GPRS is not really baby EDGE. GPRS is totally useless for serious surfing. GPRS is usually about 1/3rd of dialup speed. At least EDGE is faster than dialup.

IOW, expect EDGE to be 5X as fast as GPRS or more, but even EDGE is annoyingly slow for serious surfing.
I have a knack for knowing where all the WiFi coverage is in town. Effect of having a PowerBook. Would be just as useful with iPhone.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 07:55 PM

I think they did complete the switch to GSM sometime this year. Or they are still completing it.
When I look, they're using GSM1900 on the towers.

I roam quite often - it's the nature of cell service in Montana. You go to Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, you are roaming. Unless you are on one of the nationwide no-roams.

If you stay in one place for most of the time, it probably would be good to not pay the extra.
All it takes is once. One roaming trip with a few calls, and it can cost more than if you'd just paid for the no-roaming plan to begin with.
I figure that you'd fall back to "old fashioned" voicemail when not in an area that supports visual voicemail.
No.

Standard voicemail is, your phone calls a number and the number plays back the calls one by one.

It doesn't take much to send the simple text that is a phone number. That's caller ID info, that's SMS. No huge data connect required.

So visual voicemail (I'm speculating here) polls the voicemail server just as it does now to show the envelope on the screen alerting you that you have a call. But instead of just showing the envelope, it transmits the phone number, and matches that number with the phone's address book to give it a caller name.

Simple, no real data hit in terms of traffic increase, especially if it's done as the messages are left. And it still has to get the info from Cingular anyways, same as it always would.

I wonder if it's possible to sign up for service outside of Montana with Cingular and keep my number. I doubt it though.
It should be. You sign up with Cingular and tell them you want them to transfer your number from the current carrier. The current carrier checks with you to authorize it (I believe) and then they have to hand it over.

Number portability is the law. They have to.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 07:57 PM

GSM is 14.4kbit.

GPRS is 56kbit.(max 140)

EDGE is 180kbit. (max 473)

UMTS is 384 kbit. (max 3.6Mbit)

HSPDA is 1.8Mbit.

Note that no one ever acheives those maximums in the real world. I'm not sure where you get 1/3rd dial-up, though. Problem up in your neck of the woods?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 08:32 PM

What are we still talking about this for? It has EDGE at launch, end of story.

Will it be CDMA or 3G when it hits europe and Japan? Probably.

Can we bitch about something else now?

I bet at LEAST 50% of the people here who consider it to have "deal breakers" will buy one the second the hold this ridiculously thin device. It will practically feel like you are holding a just a screen and win you over in a second.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
What are we still talking about this for? It has EDGE at launch, end of story.
Dude, just read the last 10 posts. It was about the Cingular roaming "partner" called Chinook Wireless, and its data capabilities...

-t

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2007, 09:46 PM

GSM is 14.4kbit.

GPRS is 56kbit.(max 140)

HSPDA is 1.8Mbit.

Note that no one ever acheives those maximums in the real world. I'm not sure where you get 1/3rd dial-up, though. Problem up in your neck of the woods?
I used to regularly get over 20 kbps using GPRS, but probably never more than 40 kbps in burst mode. This was on AT&T between 2002-2005, mostly in the Northeast. With EDGE, I often got greater than 140 kbps using a Class 4 phone and with my current HSDPA, I'm mainly limited by my Bluetooth tether to roughly 500-700 kbps.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 01:12 AM

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I didn't see it.

OS X on the iPhone is about 0.5 GB.

Soo... I wonder what the firmware size is. 1 GB?

Joswiak claimed that the reduced size of the operating system was a result of expertise of the team at Apple, rather than cutting out functionality or removing core technologies. “Remember that OS X on a Mac features a lot of applications that we don’t have to ship on the iPhone,” he added.
Steve jobs says that he doesn't want the iPhone to be considered a computer (Steve Jobs says no third party apps in iPhone)... I don't get why he hyped up the use of somewhat scaled back version of OS X when he doesn't consider it a computer and wont currently let it run third party applications.

From the article above: “We define everything that is on the phone. You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.” “We define everything that is on the phone. You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.”

So he makes a huge production on it running OS X, shows how many apps it has pre-installed, and then says "these are more like iPods than they are like computers".

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 09:46 AM

GSM is 14.4kbit.

GPRS is 56kbit.(max 140)

HSPDA is 1.8Mbit.

In real life use in many areas, people get something like 15 Kbps for GPRS, and about 60-80 Kbps for EDGE, for actual transfer speeds.

Thus, for real surfing complete with embedded images, etc., really only UMTS and above work well (and GPRS is basically unusable).

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 10:51 AM

Opera mini actually works quite well since the images are shrunk and compressed on Opera's servers before transfered.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 11:07 AM

This page has estimated the total cost of iPhone ownership to be $1936 for the first year. Of course, the second year is less, since you've already paid for the phone, but by their figures it would cost you $3,232 over the 2 year contract.

Now first let me state that I find this overly sensationalistic, since we don't know what Cingular's iPhone plans will be, they've chosen a pretty expensive voice plan (my $40-a-month plan has way more minutes than I actually need) and they act like these fees are somehow unique to the iPhone when even the cheapest cell phone ends up being pretty expensive over the course of a couple of years.

But it did get me thinking. Let's look at a best case scenario and say that Cingular has a $50-a-month plan that combines unlimited internet with a reasonable amount of voice minutes (this may in fact be unrealistically low). Over the course of 2 years, the 8GB iPhone would still cost you nearly $2,000 when you figure in taxes and other fees. That's quite a bit of money and I'm not sure I can justify it. Admittedly, my current plan is costing me more than $500 a year, but I was thinking of changing over to a cheaper plan when my contract ends in a few months since I don't really use that many minutes. In short I'm not sure if I should get an iPhone or not.

It really is too bad that they don't have something that has the iPod/Internet/PDA features of the iPhone without the phone itself. I could see future iPods fitting in this category, though.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 11:42 AM

I tend to sell my cell phones after a year, so I'd basically be "leasing" an iPhone for about $200 per annum. Considering this fact, I'd estimate prices to start at around $1,100 per year (phone+service).

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 11:47 AM

I should mention i'm writing this from a treo 680 sitting in o'hare, waiting to go to hong kong for a week. I'm getting EDGE here and loading the forums just fine.

icruise has a point about ownership costs. figure 900 min a month nationwide roam, second line family plan and unlimited mobile net with 200 mms, and it nears 100/mo. I could look at cutting down to 600 min/mo, but there are times...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 11:54 AM

I should mention i'm writing this from a treo 680 sitting in o'hare, waiting to go to hong kong for a week. I'm getting EDGE here and loading the forums just fine.

icruise has a point about ownership costs. figure 900 min a month nationwide roam, second line family plan and unlimited mobile net with 200 mms, and it nears 100/mo. I could look at cutting down to 600 min/mo, but there are times...
The MacNN forums aren't that big of a deal, since MacNN has strict sig rules and most threads are not JPEG heavy.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2007, 12:27 PM

The MacNN forums aren't that big of a deal, since MacNN has strict sig rules and most threads are not JPEG heavy.
You'd think so, but MacNN forums are damn heavy. This very page is about 200 kilo BYTES already. Without ads.

By surfing the MacNN forums one racks up the MEGABYTES of download pretty fast. 1 MB every 4 pages. The text source for each page is about 100 kB, the sigs rack up another 100kB and ads add on top of that.

Then there are any inline pictures. If the forums load well on EDGE, then EDGE is good enough for me.

V

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
You'd think so, but MacNN forums are damn heavy. This very page is about 200 kilo BYTES already. Without ads.

By surfing the MacNN forums one racks up the MEGABYTES of download pretty fast. 1 MB every 4 pages. The text source for each page is about 100 kB, the sigs rack up another 100kB and ads add on top of that.

Then there are any inline pictures. If the forums load well on EDGE, then EDGE is good enough for me.

V
Yeah, it's not like loading text pages, but in terms of the web overall, MacNN pages are not that heavy. EDGE would be fine for MacNN forums, but would not be fine for lots of other pages, especially the iPhone gets Flash support like Jobs says it might.

Don't get me wrong... I think EDGE is OK for a lot of stuff. I just don't think it's ideal for some of what Jobs was marketing the iPhone for. The iPhone screams for 3G, and I fully expect 3G support in 2008.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 01:25 PM

The iPhone screams for 3G, and I fully expect 3G support in 2008.
I don't think there is a person in in the world who doesn't.

The question people just have to think about is if it is worth waiting for or not.

Personally I would never wait for it and when it does come I can sell my old phone for quite a good profit and get the new one. Even if it costs me $200 it isn't worth waiting a year for to save that much.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 01:26 PM

I don't think there is a person in in the world who doesn't.

The question people just have to think about is if it is worth waiting for or not.

Personally I would never wait for it and when it does come I can sell my old phone for quite a good profit and get the new one. Even if it costs me $200 it isn't worth waiting a year for to save that much.
Well, it's a little different here in Canada, since 3GSM support in Canada is much crappier to begin with.

So, it makes more sense in Canada to forget about 3GSM for the time being for the iPhone. If we lived in Europe though, I don't think I'd even consider the quad-GSM model.

I wonder if the iPhone will launch in Europe with 3G.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 01:45 PM

Well, it's a little different here in Canada, since 3GSM support in Canada is much crappier to begin with.
It will change this year but I still don't care.

I nor nobody I talk to wants to have video conversations regularly. I do not want to download heavy websites on a Phone either. I just want information and RSS streams, google maps, chat email etc EDGE is fine.

When I need something more I got WiFi at home, WiFi at Work, Wifi at all my friends houses, Wifi coverage in my city, accidental open wifi networks every 3 houses.

Pretty much the only time I think I would be without WiFi is the couple camping trips a year and it and I am lucky to get any kind of cell reception when I do that.

If you think you will be stuck in a car and need 3G will I guess you are going to have to wait a year until you can be satisfied on that important factor.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2007, 02:46 PM

I wonder if the iPhone will launch in Europe with 3G.
The iPhone will be 3GSM for Asia, that is for certain. However, Q4 (oct-dec, I assume - unless this is financial quarters Steve was talking about) is just 3-6 months from june. A 3G model 3-6 months from the original?

I'm sceptical. I think it is certain that the European market will be underwhelmed by a very Americanized GSM iPhone and will have to wait at least until the Asian launch to get a proper phone.

While the iPhone isn't bad, perhaps a little underpowered and closed considering the price, it isn't particularily interesting for European customers. It hasn't anything to do with 3G. There are other features missing, such as MMS.

V

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 02:48 PM

". (And no, the iPhone’s “widescreen display” isn’t a traditional 16:9 home-video aspect ration — it’s 3:2, so widescreen movies will either be cropped or display slight letterboxing effects when you play them.)"

CRAP!

Macworld: Mac Word: Hands (and fingers) on the iPhone

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
The iPhone will be 3GSM for Asia, that is for certain. However, Q4 (oct-dec, I assume - unless this is financial quarters Steve was talking about) is just 3-6 months from june. A 3G model 3-6 months from the original?

I'm sceptical. I think it is certain that the European market will be underwhelmed by a very Americanized GSM iPhone and will have to wait at least until the Asian launch to get a proper phone.

While the iPhone isn't bad, perhaps a little underpowered and closed considering the price, it isn't particularily interesting for European customers. It hasn't anything to do with 3G. There are other features missing, such as MMS.

V
1) Oops I forgot it was supposed to be launching in 2007 in Europe.
2) Are we sure it has no MMS? If true that would be a real shame, as it is such a basic feature.

". (And no, the iPhone’s “widescreen display” isn’t a traditional 16:9 home-video aspect ration — it’s 3:2, so widescreen movies will either be cropped or display slight letterboxing effects when you play them.)"

CRAP!

Macworld: Mac Word: Hands (and fingers) on the iPhone
That doesn't bother me. We knew that already anyway, as it is a 480x320 screen.

The reason I'm not bothered by this at all is because I had been predicting a widescreen iPod at 16:9 480x272, just like the PSP. The iPhone screen is higher resolution, and would have the same 480x272 resolution as the PSP for widescreen movies. However, the iPhone would have a big advantage for 4:3 TV shows, since it can display them at 427x320, instead of just 363x272 on the PSP.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 02:52 PM

2) Are we sure it has no MMS? If true that would be a real shame, as it is such a basic feature.
That would be REALLY strange if it didn't as just about every phone has MMS.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 02:59 PM

As stupid as it may sound I am more worried about the iPhone not having a vibrate mode over not having 3G.

No word on if it does or not.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 03:15 PM

As stupid as it may sound I am more worried about the iPhone not having a vibrate mode over not having 3G.

That worries me as well. No vibrate = no sale, even if it was 3G and was $100 cheaper.

That doesn't bother me. We knew that already anyway, as it is a 480x320 screen.

The reason I'm not bothered by this at all is because I had been predicting a widescreen iPod at 16:9 480x272, just like the PSP. The iPhone screen is higher resolution, and would have the same 480x272 resolution as the PSP for widescreen movies. However, the iPhone would have a big advantage for 4:3 TV shows, since it can display them at 427x320, instead of just 363x272 on the PSP.
The blue area is what a 16:9 movie would look like on the iPhone. Note that the blue area is the exact rez of the PSP's screen.

In this pic, the red is what a 4:3 TV show would look like on the iPhone. The blue would be a 4:3 show on the PSP.

( Last edited by Eug; Jan 15, 2007 at 03:21 PM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 03:16 PM

Hmm, ok I can live with those screen sizes.

Anywho, are there any 3G phones on the market now that also have Wifi and aren't ugly beasts?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 03:40 PM

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 03:46 PM

First iPhone ad (Video)
Wow, Steve Jobs never mentioned any of those features, I wonder why?

I hope they don't remove the condiment dispenser before release.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Wow, Steve Jobs never mentioned any of those features, I wonder why?

I hope they don't remove the condiment dispenser before release.
Hm...I have been needing some sideburns...

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 03:55 PM

Well, the more I read about the iPhone, the less inclined I am to buy v. 1. I think it is a great device and all, but I'm leaning towards waiting until June 2008 to purchase one. My Cingular contract will be up and I will have had my Treo for about 1.5 years. That, and I'm hoping for a revision before then that upgrades some features and works out the inevitable bugs that will be present in the first revision.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 03:59 PM

First iPhone ad (Video)
I bet that kid was just happy the thermometer went in his mouth

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Well, the more I read about the iPhone, the less inclined I am to buy v. 1. I think it is a great device and all, but I'm leaning towards waiting until June 2008 to purchase one. My Cingular contract will be up and I will have had my Treo for about 1.5 years. That, and I'm hoping for a revision before then that upgrades some features and works out the inevitable bugs that will be present in the first revision.
Funny. I am having just the opposite reaction to my self-imposed iPhone saturation. The more I read, the more I salivate.

kman

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 06:37 PM

Well considering it has a switch to turn off the ringer I think it would be pretty strange if it didn't have a vibrate feature.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 06:44 PM

We heard from Sony that vibrate and accelerometer are impossible together in one device. Just like the PS3 controller the iPhone has an accelerometer, so just like the PS3 controller it's impossible that it has the vibration feature integrated.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
We heard from Sony that vibrate and accelerometer are impossible together in one device. Just like the PS3 controller the iPhone has an accelerometer, so just like the PS3 controller it's impossible that it has the vibration feature integrated.
While it might be impossible to use them at the same time, I can't imagine simply having them in the same device isn't possible. With the PS3 controller, the vibration would obviously get in the way of the accelerometer, as they're both going constantly. With the iPhone, the only time it would be a problem is if you're trying to rotate the screen while the phone is ringing. I can't imagine that being a dealbreaker for anybody.

"I start fires!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules