Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Removing Leopard - Installing Tiger

Removing Leopard - Installing Tiger
Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2007, 05:17 PM

Hi all,

On the newest Imacs or Mac Pros, can OSX 10.4x Tiger be either installed to replace 10.5 Leopard, or installed and run on a separate partition? If so, what version and is it available?

Thx, W2

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Westbo View Post
Hi all,

On the newest Imacs or Mac Pros, can OSX 10.4x Tiger be either installed to replace 10.5 Leopard, or installed and run on a separate partition? If so, what version and is it available?

Thx, W2
It comes with the latest, 10.4.10.
Signature depreciated.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 05:32 PM

You can always install an older (supported) version of OS X, but you have to buy the media. You need to call Apple. It's usually $10 + Right To Copy license for additional computers with legitimate licenses.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
It comes with 10.4.10.
fixed

Westbo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 09:19 AM

THinking my problem solved, I logged on at Apple... iMacs MacPros etc, are shipping with Leopard, so I'm back to my original question. Also, does anyone know if OSX 10.4.10 available on CD?

Thx, W2

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 09:51 AM

[QUOTE=Westbo;3534105 Also, does anyone know if OSX 10.4.10 available on CD?[/QUOTE]

Generally speaking the lowest verson of OSX that can be installed is the version that came with the computer. Because Leopard is so new and the hardware has not been updated yet, you should be able to load a version of 10.4.x onto your MacPro

As for your question of 10.4.10 being on a disc being sold by apple. I doubt it. I really don't think apple was going to go through the effort of pressing a new set of tiger disks when leopard was (at the time) coming our shortly. Makes little fiscal sense. I don't know what version of 10.4 is on the retail discs but I'm pretty sure it isn't 10.4.10

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 10:55 AM

You'll need to call Apple Sales (1-800-MY-APPLE) to get Intel Tiger Discs. They will charge you a modest fee for the Tiger restore discs, but you'll have the ability to run Tiger.

Do not buy the retail boxed Tiger, as it is PowerPC only. For reference, the small Tiger retail boxes are 10.4.6 and the big original Tiger retail boxes are 10.4.0.

Westbo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by dowNNshift View Post
You'll need to call Apple Sales (1-800-MY-APPLE) to get Intel Tiger Discs. They will charge you a modest fee for the Tiger restore discs, but you'll have the ability to run Tiger.

Do not buy the retail boxed Tiger, as it is PowerPC only. For reference, the small Tiger retail boxes are 10.4.6 and the big original Tiger retail boxes are 10.4.0.

Thx for the feedback everyone!

Forum Links
Forum Rules