Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > CS3 Upgrade

CS3 Upgrade
Photocro
Dec 25, 2007, 08:12 PM

I recieved the Photoshop CS3 upgrade as a gift for my new Mac Pro. the problem is that my old PS CS is Windows. A look at Adobes site was unhelpful so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for using the Upgrade. Stupid question: Can I use the upgrade by itself? I think I know the answer but there may be a trick or something. It is a legit version and I need to register it but think I probably now need to buy an older version, such as CS2, and then register and upgrade CS2. Don't mean to sound convoluted in this I just hate to have totake back a gift.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2007, 09:43 PM

If you attempt to install, the upgrade will look for a previous version of Photoshop. Not finding it, it will most likely ask for a valid serial number for a previous version. The serial number from your windows version of PSCS, will most likely NOT be valid as it is cross platform. Try contacting the Adobe customer service to explain your situation. Just perhaps they'll work out a solution or give you a discount of some sort. Don't expect this to work. However, you've got nothng to lose by asking. What's the worse they can say... "no"?

A more realistic solution... IF you have not opened the upgrade, find out where it was purchased and return it for a credit that can be applied to purchase a new full version.

Good luck.

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 03:46 PM

i'd also consider buying an unregistered version of an older pshop for mac from ebay / craigslist church garage sale.

Photocro  (op)
Dec 29, 2007, 05:59 PM

Actually, that is what I did. I bought a CS version with the CS2 upgrade which I will install and then upgrade with the CS3 upgrade. I checked on Adobes site and it mentioned possible incompatibilities with the Intel Mac. However, and this is a question, I wonder if there is a way just to install and upgrade without a problem until I get to the full CS3 and then go ahead and launch the program. Never thought this would get so convoluted but that's the way it turned out. Are there any problems or hints to do this that anyone knows of? If so I think a neighbor has a Power Mac that I can do this on and then save to CD all the program. I would prefer not to do this so that nothing gets pirated in the off chance that unforseen human glitches happen.

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2007, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Photocro View Post
Actually, that is what I did. I bought a CS version with the CS2 upgrade which I will install and then upgrade with the CS3 upgrade. I checked on Adobes site and it mentioned possible incompatibilities with the Intel Mac. However, and this is a question, I wonder if there is a way just to install and upgrade without a problem until I get to the full CS3 and then go ahead and launch the program. Never thought this would get so convoluted but that's the way it turned out. Are there any problems or hints to do this that anyone knows of? If so I think a neighbor has a Power Mac that I can do this on and then save to CD all the program. I would prefer not to do this so that nothing gets pirated in the off chance that unforseen human glitches happen.
If you have legit copies from which you can upgrade CS then yes, you can call Adobe customer support and they'll walk you through some key commands during installation and you'll be able to install from the CS3 update disks. To my knowledge there's no other legal way to achieve your goal.

Photocro  (op)
Dec 30, 2007, 12:42 PM

According to the seller they are. Sealed and registerable units. If they aren't, then the seller and I are going to have some problems. I don't do pirated. I do search as long as needed to find the best deal I can. Thanks for the info. I will call Adobe support and get this going as soon as they arrive. Great forum.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2008, 04:54 AM

As far as I know you can do a cross-platform exchange.

You need to contact them, then destroy your Photoshop DVDs, and then you get the DVDs for your new operating system.

There is a fee, but it's rather small.

I wouldn't mess with used Photoshop software, especially on eCrook, sorry, eBay. There are just too many illegal copies around.

Photocro  (op)
Jan 1, 2008, 03:12 PM

I don't know if it matters but these were purchased from Power Sellers, not individuals. These are new. Never opened, never registered and guaranteed legitimate. Could they be pirated? I guess they could be. Seeing as how there are such doubts would someone tell me as to what to look for to find out if they are pirated. How does one tell? I have only received the CS3 update and it "looks" quite legitimate. I suppose it could be manufactured in a foreign country but the package, if not legitimate, would fool anyone.

If it turns out that they are pirated I will contact Pay Pal and also contact the DA in the county, city or state that these sellers come from.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2008, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Photocro View Post
I don't know if it matters but these were purchased from Power Sellers, not individuals. These are new. Never opened, never registered and guaranteed legitimate. Could they be pirated? I guess they could be. Seeing as how there are such doubts would someone tell me as to what to look for to find out if they are pirated. How does one tell? I have only received the CS3 update and it "looks" quite legitimate. I suppose it could be manufactured in a foreign country but the package, if not legitimate, would fool anyone.

If it turns out that they are pirated I will contact Pay Pal and also contact the DA in the county, city or state that these sellers come from.
Powerseller doesn't mean a thing. Just that they possibly cheated a lot of people.

Basic rule: if it would be legit, how could it be so much cheaper?

You can find Adobe coupons on the web, just google it. That should give you some legit savings.

eBay has no interest in doing anything against pirated software. I contacted them, and never heard of them, and the same crook who tried to sell me his illegal garbage is possibly ripping off someone else. All those eBay titles like powerseller, trading assistant, don't mean a thing. Of course they try to make it look legit. A crook has to look legit, that's cheating 101, or such a person wouldn't have any success in cheating.

Power sellers: usually people, who can't run a business, so they are hiding behind screen names on eBay. A bunch of dabblers in business. Rude and unprofessional behavior often comes on top of bad business practices.

Another one: Amazon itself sells legit software, but be careful about Amazon marketplace. Same kind of sometimes weird businesses.

Go for a legit source. Save yourself the trouble.

Basic rule for getting something you want: get an idea about the price, see, if it is worth it to you, and then pay the price. Trying to cut corners will just get you into trouble. And one thing: your main investment won't be the purchase price for the software, but all the pain you will put in to learn it.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2008, 10:27 AM

Consider price sourcing through sites such as price.com, pricegrabber.com etc.

Photocro  (op)
Jan 14, 2008, 06:24 PM

I should finish this out and let you know that I appreciate the concern and also let you know that the software was completely legitimate and registered immediately all the way through with Adobe. I understand that your cautions were either from bad experiences or 2nd hand knowledge but I am very cautious and would never intentionally purchase anything from underhanded people; no matter the price. As it was, I did my homework and research, got email replies from the sellers as to the authenticity of the software, checked their bonafides and then purchased. As I say, all is legit and working wonderfully. Thanks for the cautions and the wonderful intentions. Appreciated.
( Last edited by Photocro; Jan 14, 2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo)

Forum Links
Forum Rules