Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 Titanium Powerbook - No Airport?

G4 Titanium Powerbook - No Airport?
Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2011, 05:06 PM

Hi all

Our phone company (FairPoint) recently replaced our fried DSL router with ADSL2+ 4-Port Gateway with 802.11n WiFi ( SR300N ). Our two MacBook Pros and an older PowerMac G5 are able to identify and connect, however our G4 Titanium 1Ghz Powerbook will not. I am unable to configure as it will not identify the router. It does have its original Airport card (802.11g) which was able to connect to the previous router, but now it is unable to identify or connect with the replacement router.

1. Is 802.11n vs. 802.11g a factor?
2. Do I need to upgrade the card to AirPort Extreme?
3. Any other ideas?

Thx for your help.

W2

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 05:25 PM

The tiBook was 802.11b only.

Check that your router has that mode enabled.

Westbo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2011, 05:56 PM

OK... didn't know that.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 06:21 PM

You can get an Orinoco Gold wifi card that is slot-compatible with the Airport card, or a PC card wifi adapter to get 802.11g (not under OS 9).

Westbo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2011, 06:25 PM

Follow up... Just got off the phone with FairPoint who walked me thru shutting off the security which did the trick. The router is compatible with 802.11b. The tiBook is now once again connected. Thx Spheric for responding.

W2

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2011, 11:34 PM

"shutting off the security "

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 11:07 AM

not a good idea to use WEP, because the security is like swiss cheese. Unless you want to offer free wireless access to all your neighbors and to whoever parks outside your home?

you'd be much better off with a PCMCIA wireless card, which would give you up-to-date security.

the bonus would be much, much, much better wireless range. I had a PB-400 and eventually switched to a natively supported wireless card. The difference in wireless range (and quality/throughput/speed) was night and day. The airport card inside the PB is throttled by the metal Faraday cage. With the wireless card, the antenna is outside the laptop body, giving you much better reception and throughput.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 11:35 AM

Here's better solution: a USB wireless stick. The PB-1 GHz has USB 2.0, so this stick should work, and it's only $16

NewerTech MXP2802GU2 MAXPower 802.11g/b Wireless... in stock at OWC

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 12:04 PM

Actually the TiBooks are USB 1.1. PCMCIA is more convenient if you can find one. Railink based cards used to have an adaptor that worked well enough under 10.4.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Actually the TiBooks are USB 1.1. PCMCIA is more convenient if you can find one. Railink based cards used to have an adaptor that worked well enough under 10.4.
You sure? I know the first few generations were USB 1.1, but I really thought the later generations were USB 2.0. For example, my PB-1.33 12" is USB 2.0.

There were 2 versions of PB-1 GHZ, the first of which was USB 1.1, but MacTracker lists the 2nd version with FW-800 as having USB 2.0

So, I suppose, it depends on which PB the OP has...does it have FW-800?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 02:15 PM

OP said Titanium. The other 1GHz was aluminium, same as your 12". All the Alu books had USB 2.0.

If the keys are black, its a TiBook, if the keys are silver, its Alu.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 02:38 PM

Ah! forgot about that.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 03:01 PM

Don't forget that as long as the TiBook is connected (b speed) the whole of your wireless network will drop to that speed as well, thus hobbling the Pros's (which will connect at n) and the g G5.

Get a card for the TiBook. That way you can switch your network security back on AND not cripple your wireless network speed and range.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 04:48 PM

Thing is, I did a brief search for wireless pc cards, and couldn't find any that were either native or had Mac drivers. That's why I suggested USB wireless, but that might not work with USB 1.

Anybody know of any Mac wireless pc cards? The Buffalo card (Broadcom chip) that is still in use with my former Ti-400 is not longer available.

Westbo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2011, 09:21 AM

not too worried about security... nearest house is 2/10 mi.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2011, 03:30 PM

There is really only one place to get a Mac Wifi PC card, don't bother with Amazon.

MacWireless.com - Wireless Enhancement Products for Macintosh

bought regular Airport Cards here (they were refurbs) that eventually stopped working. They accepted returns
on both, then ended up with MacWireless PC Card for 802.11g which has worked like a trooper ever since.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by deepat View Post
Aluminium is light weight and tough. I prefer Alu books
I prefer Alu bats. The wooden ones splinter after two or three spammers.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
There is really only one place to get a Mac Wifi PC card, don't bother with Amazon.

MacWireless.com - Wireless Enhancement Products for Macintosh

bought regular Airport Cards here (they were refurbs) that eventually stopped working. They accepted returns
on both, then ended up with MacWireless PC Card for 802.11g which has worked like a trooper ever since.
That's the way to go, right there. Thanks for the reference: I've bookmarked the site.

Forum Links
Forum Rules