Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > October 23, 2012 Apple event: "We've got a little more to show you."

October 23, 2012 Apple event: "We've got a little more to show you."
Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 08:25 AM

the event will be held at 10am PST/1pm EST at the California Center in San Jose

iPad mini?
13" Retina MacBook Pro?
New iMacs?
New Mac mini?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2012, 08:56 AM

I'm going to say yes to all of them, with the iPad, 13" MBP and iMac being shown and the Mac mini being a silent update to the store when the show is over.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2012, 08:57 AM

Technically isn't a smaller iPad a little less to show me?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2012, 08:57 AM

Is this the first time 2 Apple events have been so close to each other?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2012, 08:59 AM

And are we thinking updated 3rd gen iPads with lightning connectors? (the new iPad 3.5 gen?)

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2012, 09:05 AM

It's thee Apple TV. It has to be. Or not.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I'm going to say yes to all of them, with the iPad, 13" MBP and iMac being shown and the Mac mini being a silent update to the store when the show is over.
I agree. The desktop Macs may be silently updated the next day.

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
And are we thinking updated 3rd gen iPads with lightning connectors? (the new iPad 3.5 gen?)
I highly doubt it.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Technically isn't a smaller iPad a little less to show me?
It's a LITTLE more to show you. More as in in addition to last time.

Is this the first time 2 Apple events have been so close to each other?
One of the previous times they did this, they really fooled me. I ordered the 15" 1 GHz SuperDrive TiBook when it was announced. Two months later at Macworld they announced the 12" AluBook, which is what I really wanted. I had ordered the 15" assuming an event two months later was too early to announce a new PowerBook form factor.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It's a LITTLE more to show you. More as in in addition to last time.
Oh lighten up. It's a joke, and depending on your perspective I'm still right.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh lighten up. It's a joke, and depending on your perspective I'm still right.
? It was a LITTLE inane joke response, in kind.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2012, 10:00 AM

Alright, well I suck then.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2012, 10:11 AM

Kiss and make up you two.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 10:25 AM

Kiss and make up you two.
I'd rather kiss and make out with you. Not. It was just a LITTLE inane joke response, in kind.

Anywho, as I mentioned in the iPad mini thread, AI claims there will be 24 different models of the mini.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2012, 10:55 AM

My parents have been waiting forever for updated iMacs so I hope they aren't disappointed.

I hope the ipad mini has 16gb of storage and not 8gb. Not everyone has the option to stream all of their media and 8gb just isn't very much anymore.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
My parents have been waiting forever for updated iMacs so I hope they aren't disappointed.
Be aware that some are claiming the iMac and Mac mini won't show up until the next day or so. So don't be too disappointed if they don't show up on the 23rd.

I hope the ipad mini has 16gb of storage and not 8gb. Not everyone has the option to stream all of their media and 8gb just isn't very much anymore.
Yeah, I hear ya. That said, I am currently using less than 4 GB on my 16 GB Nexus 7... but that's because I can use external media with the thing away from home, and at home I stream from my NAS. Also, I don't have many large games. If I had to keep just one or two movies on the thing, I'd be getting close to maxing out 8 GB. For mainstream usage, 16 GB is probably the bang-for-the-buck sweet spot if you need any local storage. Or maybe 32 GB for some. 64 GB is probably overkill for the majority in 2012, although I do have a 64 GB USB drive, since I don't re-encode my large (eg. 10 GB) movies for tablet use.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2012, 11:11 AM

Looking forward to the iPad mini. Will probably hit the buy button on one. Can't justify full price on iPad as it gets so little use. Mini, probably on the right side of impulse.

Also, 13in MacBook Pro retina. If it's thinner like its 15in cousin, isn't that just a MacBook Air Pro, given that the 13in rMBP reportedly lacks discrete graphics like the current 13?

I suspect those waiting on Mini's and iMacs will continue to wait. Those waiting on MacPros have swallowed that bitter pill already I suspect.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2012, 11:36 AM

Be aware that some are claiming the iMac and Mac mini won't show up until the next day or so. So don't be too disappointed if they don't show up on the 23rd.
Thanks for the tip. While I think it might apply to the Mac Mini, I doubt it will apply to the iMac because I hear rumors that it is getting a redesign and I'm sure Apple will want to show it off.

Kind of sad that the Mac Pro is dying a slow death while sitting on the shelf. What fun is there in maxing out the specs of an iMac?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 12:27 PM

I LOVED THE JOKE!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Also, 13in MacBook Pro retina. If it's thinner like its 15in cousin, isn't that just a MacBook Air Pro, given that the 13in rMBP reportedly lacks discrete graphics like the current 13?
Well, for one thing the current 13" MacBook Pro is 1280x800, whereas the the Air is 1440x900. The Pro has a better quality screen though.

For a Pro machine in OS X, I think the Pro's resolution is more appropriate. Make that retina, and it will be 2560x1600, which would be perfect, as long as it is a good quality screen, better than what is seen in the Air. It'd also be nice to see a matte option, although I'm not optimistic.

I do wonder about the GPU, but the current Intel 4000 can handle up to 2560x1600 already. Nonetheless, I do think it's reasonable to wait on such a purchase, and let someone else be the guinea pig on this version 1 product (assuming it appears).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 01:31 PM

G5 PowerBook.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
G5 PowerBook.
About freaking time.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2012, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
G5 PowerBook.
It'll run as hot as one.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2012, 06:29 AM

@Eug

Didn't kow that you had a Nexus. I'm looking at getting a 7inch Android tablet with 3G that has a microSD slot. Hopefully the new Nexus 7 (Argos in the UK have let slip some details) will have everything that I need.

What do you use to get files from your Mac to the Nexus? I have an Asus TF101 and its a royal pain in the ***.

I'm going to go down the very cheap phone (only calls and sms) + 7 inch tablet with 3G route. I can get 60 mins talk time + 60 SMS per month for 0€ from my ISP. Data only is going to be 20€ per month.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2012, 06:40 AM

Let's move past trying to guess what they will announce. It's become too predictable and boring.

Let's try to guess what the next "gate" is going to be, and what stupid little non-issue will get blown out of proportion by the click-starved tech bloggeratti.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
@Eug
Didn't kow that you had a Nexus. I'm looking at getting a 7inch Android tablet with 3G that has a microSD slot. Hopefully the new Nexus 7 (Argos in the UK have let slip some details) will have everything that I need.
I'd be surprised if it got microSD. Even 3G is doubtful.

What do you use to get files from your Mac to the Nexus? I have an Asus TF101 and its a royal pain in the ***.
Easy as pie. Key Lime?

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

The program is straight from Google, and is supposed to work with all Android devices running 3.0 or later.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2012, 07:37 AM

I'd be surprised if it got microSD. Even 3G is doubtful.
Easy as pie. Key Lime?
http://www.android.com/filetransfer/
The program is straight from Google, and is supposed to work with all Android devices running 3.0 or later.
Ah but you have a USB cable connection to the Mac. Asus, in their wisdom, decided that TF101 users didn't need one.

Hope you're wrong about 3G and microSD.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2012, 08:07 AM

I've got a Nexus for testing stuff. Actually a great little tablet.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Let's move past trying to guess what they will announce. It's become too predictable and boring.
Let's try to guess what the next "gate" is going to be, and what stupid little non-issue will get blown out of proportion by the click-starved tech bloggeratti.
Haha! Awesome idea. Can you recap the 'gates' we've had so far? We have come a long way since the original iPhone's lack of an app store, MMS, or copy/paste.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2012, 09:11 AM

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2012, 09:14 AM

But in all honesty, someone said in another thread that a "gate" would be something that Apple/someone has tried to cover up but then come clean about it. So most of these "gate"s are really not very scandalous but more or less mis-steps.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2012, 09:51 AM

Thanks, but that is a formal list of all the gates and only one relates to apple (antennagate).

In addition to the antenna issue people have claimed apple made a misstep by not including 4G or NFC in the iPhone 4S, but I can't think of many computer related missteps.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2012, 10:36 AM

I predict that there is going to be a problem with the antenna and whenever you walk near a metal gate, it will disconnect from the internet.

This will be known as gategate.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I predict that there is going to be a problem with the antenna and whenever you walk near a metal gate, it will disconnect from the internet.
This will be known as gategate.
I think you are only partially correct. It will only happen if you walk past the gate in a certain way and will therefore be called "Gaitgategate"
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2012, 10:43 PM

I heard Tim Cook left a door open and his pet alligator escaped, terrorising the staff before it was recaptured.
Gatorgategate?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2012, 02:48 AM

And now for something completely different.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2012, 03:56 AM

It turn out that the only people effected are those that use those over shoe protectors. They "wear them wrong" which causes them to walk oddly.
gaitergaitgategate

I'll get my coat

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2012, 05:32 AM

Anywho...

Here's a picture of the screen.

As mentioned before, it's 162x124 mm, which translates to a 7.97" screen, but that's including any unused border. So the previous 7.85" size and 163 ppi claims still seem accurate.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2012, 12:01 PM

I'm feeling more that the iMacs might make an appearance. Not retina but thinner. And faster. I also think the mini might actually disappear. I can't see a role for it in the apple line up. It used to be the gateway to Apple product but the iOS stuff does that and Apple want to sell you an iMac or a laptop if you're after a real Mac.

I'm also going to go with iPad mini in ipod touch colours. No idea why just feels like a good idea.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I'm feeling more that the iMacs might make an appearance. Not retina but thinner. And faster. I also think the mini might actually disappear. I can't see a role for it in the apple line up. It used to be the gateway to Apple product but the iOS stuff does that and Apple want to sell you an iMac or a laptop if you're after a real Mac.
I'm also going to go with iPad mini in ipod touch colours. No idea why just feels like a good idea.
Why not the reverse: the iMac disappears, the Mac Mini prevails?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2012, 02:26 PM

The iMac is a very strong seller and isn't going anywhere. Plus we have seen leaked images of a new one. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac Mini Server is selling as well as the standard Mini these days. Its great for small businesses who need Mac or iPad file sharing and other basic services, email, contacts, calendars, MDM etc.

I certainly don't see the Mini going anywhere until this possible Mac Pro/Xserve replacement that was long ago hinted at slightly vaguely for next year.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
The iMac is a very strong seller and isn't going anywhere. Plus we have seen leaked images of a new one. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac Mini Server is selling as well as the standard Mini these days. Its great for small businesses who need Mac or iPad file sharing and other basic services, email, contacts, calendars, MDM etc.
I certainly don't see the Mini going anywhere until this possible Mac Pro/Xserve replacement that was long ago hinted at slightly vaguely for next year.
All of that stuff can be done with cloud type solutions, including iCloud.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2012, 04:12 PM

They'd better add one hell of a GPU if the iMac is going Retina, like the GTX 670/680M. Likely it would be a GT 640M LE and piss off all the Mac gamers, though.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

All of that stuff can be done with cloud type solutions, including iCloud.
ICloud is not an enterprise solution.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2012, 10:35 PM

OSX Server is hardly one either though.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2012, 12:48 AM

I'm not really talking about enterprise users though, I'm talking small offices, estate agents, independent retailers, small ad houses anywhere with up to a couple of dozen users or so.

P
Oct 19, 2012, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
They'd better add one hell of a GPU if the iMac is going Retina, like the GTX 670/680M. Likely it would be a GT 640M LE and piss off all the Mac gamers, though.
For the last several generations, Apple has put in either the top mobile GPU or one very slightly nerfed version of it in the top iMac. If they do that again, it's either a Radeon 7970M (which is a 7870 desktop, basically) or a GTX 680M (which actually is the desktop GPU, but underclocked like crazy - the memory clock is down 60%). The more interesting question is what they but in the base model. I suspect that the GTX 650M - same as the MBP - is a possibility, but the newer GTX670MX would really fit better.

(The model numbers are really heading for meltdown. nVidia's renaming already used up GTX 670M and GTX 675M, so they had to come up with the silliness above. The M and MX versions of the same number don't use anything remotely resembling the same GPU)

The question about gamers is a little interesting, because at Retina resolutions, you can get away with murder when scaling. It doesn't hurt especially to use a lower resolution, which means that demands of gamers are actually dropping (This works to some extent already today - instead of tweaking to make the games run at native, I have switched to gaming at 1280*720, a quarter of my native res, and then just pushing all the other sliders to Ultra or whatever the top is. It looks pretty enough at effective 55 ppi and runs like butter). Since all the consoles are very long in the tooth, there is no benefit to pushing graphics much beyond what they can handle anyway. At the same time, demands of non-gamers is going up, because they want to use full Retina resolutions everywhere, and the hardware and drivers are not optimized for that use case. Hopefully this will improve the situation for Mac gamers over time.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post

ICloud is not an enterprise solution.
What Doc said

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2012, 01:10 PM

OSX server is suitable for the right size of group.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post

OSX server is suitable for the right size of group.
Maybe, but it is not a given that the smaller the group the more suitable it is either. In fact, I don't think size is terribly relevant at all if you have nobody on staff that understands the server enough to put out fires when they exist, or it becomes too expensive to do so in comparison to other alternatives.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2012, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Maybe, but it is not a given that the smaller the group the more suitable it is either. In fact, I don't think size is terribly relevant at all if you have nobody on staff that understands the server enough to put out fires when they exist, or it becomes too expensive to do so in comparison to other alternatives.
So you're suggesting that windows sbs is a better choice?

Show me a cloud solution that provides email, cal, contacts, dns, mdm, directory, wiki, web server, software update server, network disk, and time machine in one solution.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2012, 08:06 PM

The chassis on my Acer cracked 2 weeks ago, my Amex is ready for a 13" RMBP. Don't screw this up with some crazy quirk, Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules