Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.9 is out - experiences?

10.4.9 is out - experiences? (Page 3)
nostrademas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by rdas7 View Post
Check out this guy Feisar over at: mobile.feisar.com/plugins.html

He's got iSync plugins for all the Sony Ericssons for only a couple bucks. He's also got addressbook plugins and stuff like that. It's all transparent (driver based), not separate apps, etc. so you can basically enable the missing functions. Highly recommended!
Feisar has put out some new phone sync plugins, but unfortunately the M600 and the P990, plus some Nokia phones, use UIQ3 which is a fundamental rewrite as far as syncing is concerned. It is hoped (from reading Feisar's and other's comments) that Leopard will have an iSync update that deals with this.

So unfortunately, it's not bizarre at all...

ND

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
That would be a worthless exercise. The 10.5 code base has been forked from the 10.4 code base since 10.4 shipped -- so about 2 years ago. The 10.4 builds are about fixing issues with 10.4 as is -- there very little in common with the two of them now.

The 10.5 build will ship when it's feature complete, and when enough of the "critical" bugs are fixed. Oh, and maybe when Apple feels it makes marketing sense as well.

But don't think that the logical progression HAS to be 10.4.8, 10.4.9, 10.5.0. There is really no reason technically there couldn't be a 10.4.10, should there need to be bugs fixed.

Also, I believe 10.3.9 shipped AFTER 10.4 was announced or released last time.
I was just wondering.... no reason to get mad
Signature depreciated.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by richardwigley View Post
Im glad they fixed the eject button problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whats this talk about new themes?? (i cant install yet due to a internet problem)
I think somebody may have seen the "new theme" post for the MacNN forums, since it's stuck to the top of the post listings.

10.4.9 here, no issues with my C2D MacBook, although I can't tell if things are snappier with the update. I'm keeping fingers crossed that it (and the recent Airport update) have fixed my kernel panic problems when waking up to a WAP2 wireless network

MartiNZ
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 05:48 PM

Working fine on Mac mini 1.66GHz core duo here. And the one bug I check out every single update seems to have been fixed! I can no longer force a dashboard error with the shuffle button on the iTunes widget ... only 2 years later !

thisdarcy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 06:50 PM

Ok, well the reinstall worked at least, I'm back to 10.4.8 with all my files and apps and such in place, right where I left them before the hang. Bit of a waste of a day, but at least I didn't lose all those little things that never get backed up. Note to self, make disk images often.

Black_Rain
Mar 14, 2007, 07:10 PM

well i'm at the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinner...

same problem that Kanx described...about to call my local apple store to force them to fix this problem...

kanx06
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Black_Rain View Post
well i'm at the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinner...

same problem that Kanx described...about to call my local apple store to force them to fix this problem...
Yea, I found an osX install cd and booted from the cd, had to switch the options around a bit when I started the install but now I'm up and running on 10.4.8. All of my files are here, and the majority of my settings are the same. And I'm currently running through all of the updates again, hopefully this doesn't happen again.

indigoimac
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by kanx06 View Post
I have no idea. I started the download, went to study, came back and there was a message telling me an error occurred during the download process, the downloaded files were sent to the trash and I was asked to restart my computer. I hit restart, all my apps and windows closed and finder quit, all that was left on was my desktop background and my cursor. Couldn't force quit and restart the finder or anything. So I let it sit for about 5 or 6 minutes then still nothing happened. Held down the start button to force shut down the computer. So it was shut down, I let it cool off for about 5 minutes then I started it up again. Then all that happened was it went to the gray screen with the apple logo and the circle spun and spun. It won't even let me safe boot it or anything, and I'm stuck here at college and no way to a mac store or anything, with my install disks at home I don't know what all I can do. It will let me run Windows through Boot Camp nonetheless, so I guess I didn't get screwed THAT bad. Even though I will be majorly pissed at Apple if my files cannot be recovered. I didn't spend all that time writing those papers for nothing. Anyone have any tips?
If you can still get into Windows download MacDrive that way you can backup ur files on the OSX partition from Windows so you can do a worry free clean install.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
If you can still get into Windows download MacDrive that way you can backup ur files on the OSX partition from Windows so you can do a worry free clean install.
Or... you could just boot from the OS X install disc and choose "Archive and Install". You'll get a clean install of your OS whilst leaving all of your files intact.

I do not understand why some people seem to think that "Erase and Install" is the only way to clean reinstall the OS.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Or... you could just boot from the OS X install disc and choose "Archive and Install". You'll get a clean install of your OS whilst leaving all of your files intact.

I do not understand why some people seem to think that "Erase and Install" is the only way to clean reinstall the OS.
That's because Archive and Install hasn't always been perfect and it's hardly recommended for a major update, i.e Panter to Tiger or Tiger to Leopard. At this point you should only reformat and install.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 08:43 PM

My install failed and then everything froze and I had to restart but then hung on startup. My iMac was dead in the water until I found this solution, which basically entails downloading the Combo update to an external drive, starting up the afflicted machine from the boot CD, transferring the update over, then running it.

Worked for me.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
That's because Archive and Install hasn't always been perfect and it's hardly recommended for a major update, i.e Panter to Tiger or Tiger to Leopard. At this point you should only reformat and install.
That's ridiculous. I've been doing all my major updates a regular updates, ie. not even Archive & Install. Erasing and installing for every major system update is a complete waste of time.

mr. burns
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 09:11 PM

just another update for me...

not all who wander are lost.

ledcreigh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
I don't know if this is related, but after installing 10.4.9 on my PowerBook, if I hit Command-Spacebar or clicked on the Spotlight icon, the inon would highlight but no search menuling would pop up. I resized my display from 1440x900 to 1152x720 and Spotlight worked fine. I resized back to 1440x900 and everything seems quite happy again.

Regards!
-----Stuart

brassplayersrockĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 09:19 PM

had a freeze up last night and had to do some repairs to the directory because my pb wouldn't start up, or at least my tech friend had to, but now all is good.

-a

Cucucachoo
Mar 14, 2007, 09:33 PM

Works fine on my iBook G4. Long boot at first. But all seems fine now.
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

gjimeno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 09:58 PM

I downloaded the new 10.4.9 update, restarted, and now the screen just displays the wallpaper and mouse, but does not load the desktop. I have turned it off and on and it still stays like that. I can move the mouse but that's it. Please help! Also, do other have that problem too?

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by gjimeno View Post
I downloaded the new 10.4.9 update, restarted, and now the screen just displays the wallpaper and mouse, but does not load the desktop. I have turned it off and on and it still stays like that. I can move the mouse but that's it. Please help! Also, do other have that problem too?
Try pressing and holding down these keyes all at once immediately after the chime plays from a restart. Command/Option/ P+R. It resets the PRAM. I always do this upon restart from a system update.

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 10:32 PM

I cant put my MBP to sleep via Option+Apple Key+Eject key anymore after the update, any tips?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 10:41 PM

What are you talking about? Archive and Install works just fine. You can see the results for yourself - /System, /Library, all the original applications, /usr, /private, /bin, /sbin, the mach kernel, etc. are all in the Previous Systems folder after an A&I. I'm not sure what more you could ask for in terms of getting the original system files out of the way.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
I cant put my MBP to sleep via Option+Apple Key+Eject key anymore after the update, any tips?
Hold down the Eject button for about a half-second.

gikku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 10:43 PM

10.4.9 update hung on iBook G3, then would not boot past the grey screen, apple logo never appears.

Eventually booted into safe mode, (hold shift at chime) Repaired Permissions in Disk Utility and ran Automation in Onyx, and rebooted. all good now (after about 3hrs of mild concern).

Also 10.4.9 added iSync support for the SE K610i phone - woo hoo.
( Last edited by gikku; Mar 15, 2007 at 01:56 AM. )
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2xiBook G3s, iMac G3 Rev-A 266mhz woo hoo!
iPod nano 2GB, iPod Photo 60GB, iPhone white 16GB
and Acer Aspire One, because Apple don't do netbooks, duh!

arng1
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by voth View Post
Just installed 10.4.9, rebooted. Tried to eject my DVD/CD drive prior to this installation I could just tap the eject button, now I am force to hold it down. Loading does seem a little slower too.

FYI: System is a G5 2.0 (Dual) w/ 6GB ram.
Same eject issue on my Macbook.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by arng1 View Post
Same eject issue on my Macbook.
It's not a bug, it's a feature (really!).

It's intended to cut down on accidental disk ejections due to hitting the Eject key when you were aiming for something else, which is particularly easy to do on the laptops where the Eject key isn't too far from the Delete key.

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 14, 2007, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Hold down the Eject button for about a half-second.
Sweet...thanks!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 12:38 AM

The question is WHY DID THEY DO THIS FOR NORMAL KEYBOARDS???

I love the eject-delay on laptops, hate it on desktops.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [ā™¬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 12:49 AM

So far so good on my DP G4 and DP G5, will update my iBook G4 later.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 01:21 AM

No problems so far on a G5 and a G3.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2007, 01:46 AM

I now have weird boxes around my back icon, and where I type username password into a webpage etc...no clue where they came from...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 01:58 AM

Go to the Universal Access System Preferences and turn off VoiceOver.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 02:49 AM

Sure he's not talking about Full Keyboard Access?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
The question is WHY DID THEY DO THIS FOR NORMAL KEYBOARDS???
Presumably for the same reason. Because people trying to hit /, *, or mute hit the eject button accidentally.
ā€¢

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Presumably for the same reason. Because people trying to hit /, *, or mute hit the eject button accidentally.
Oh come on. I've never hit that button accidentally on a normal keyboard - ever!

And even if I did I'd much rather have instant response. Yes I do use a LOT of optical disks everyday, and this is in fact slowing me down.

englishbob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2007, 05:19 AM

10.4.9 Poppycock.

- No, not the update. this:

Apple patches Mac every which way - 14/Mar/2007 - ComputerWeekly.com

Grrrr!

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2007, 05:30 AM

Installed on a macbook pro and imac c2d, both went fine. I shut down all applications before doing it though.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Oh come on. I've never hit that button accidentally on a normal keyboard - ever!
Me neither. But I guess that was their reasoning.
ā€¢

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 06:02 AM

Hmmm. I seem to recall the delay previously only applied to laptops. If they could distinguish before, why not now?

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by GatorsFan View Post
I installed 10.4.9, rebooted, and then my phone rang. It was Nicole Kidman calling me from Oz. Said that Kenny was on-tour and that she was soaking in a bubble bath and wanted to hear the sound of my voice. The noise of a champagne bottle clinking against the rim of her crystal stemware was audible in the background. Suddenly, my screen was filled with the sight of fireworks bursting over the skyline of Sydney. My breath came in short gasps. There was the rushing sound of far-off thunder. I could hear the water sloshing in her deep Roman tub. . .

All I can say is "Thank you, Steve Jobs, thank you very much."
Same exact thing here on my first reboot. But, interesting difference here - fireworks were over Paris not Sydney......

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 10:22 AM

No problems on any of my Macs:

Titanium PowerBook G4 1 GHz
Dual 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5 (original model)
Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz iMac.

Installed and updated smoothly.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2007, 10:34 AM

I did a whole school (well, almost all of it) with Intel iMacs, and eMacs so far and have had no problems!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Artanis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2007, 11:00 AM

Some people mentioned at the start of the thread A NEW THEME with this update. What new theme?

wingdo
Senior User
Mar 15, 2007, 11:01 AM

That's just plain nuts. My DA Desktop went from 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 ALL with archive and install. I've not had any issues whatsoever doing things this way. My PowerBook went from Panther to Tiger with an archive and install as well. I am sure there is crap in my user folders I no longer use but it's not hurting anything.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
Some people mentioned at the start of the thread A NEW THEME with this update. What new theme?
The Emperor's new Theme

I updated without any problems. I used the combo installer just because. This was on an intel iMac.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

xsphat
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2007, 11:40 AM

Nothing on MacBook was messed up, and my icons are all the same.

I would post a picture but Flickr will not, for the love of god, let me log in anymore, so "F" them.

My Boot Camp seems OK as well, as does my Bluetooth.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 12:04 PM

ya man the new delay and having to hold down onto the required key combos is not as nice and takes some getting used to...

Now you also have to 'press and hold' option+eject to bring up the shutdown/sleep/restart window

sux... instant was better
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

kick52
Baninated
Mar 15, 2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
you would see that that was a joke if you read the thread.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 12:38 PM

Why not just close your laptop and it will go to sleep?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj View Post
Now you also have to 'press and hold' option+eject to bring up the shutdown/sleep/restart window
Why not just press the power button and it will show that dialog instantly?

FastAMX79
Mar 15, 2007, 01:02 PM

I've always had a delay on my Powerbook G4 when ejecting a CD/DVD.

The fact is, it is a great feature because it does eliminate the accidental 'oops i hit the eject key' even though it may be once or twice a month that it happens. (and for me it happens here and there on my B&W G3 keyboard that I'm using running OS X Server)

And honestly, how much time are you actually losing by having to hold it for an extra half second? even if you use 100 CDs/DVDs a day, you lose 50-55 seconds of your time.
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Why not just press the power button and it will show that dialog instantly?
I use my notebook in clamshell mode when at home and the powerbutton cannot be reached when the lid is closed.

Desktop users also use this method as the power button can be quite incovenient to get to. e.g., if the machine is hiding under a desk.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules