Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is the President helping the economic crisis?

Is the President helping the economic crisis?
stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2008, 09:39 PM

I find it hard to believe ANYTHING this man says. Generally, if he is for it, I am against it. It's just a gut reaction that he has instilled in me with his past behavior. I USED to respect the presidency. That is gone. Anyone else feel this way?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
I find it hard to believe ANYTHING this man says. Generally, if he is for it, I am against it. It's just a gut reaction that he has instilled in me with his past behavior. I USED to respect the presidency. That is gone. Anyone else feel this way?
A whole bunch of people. They have even less regard for Congress. Any healthy disrespect for government should regard them all as dishonest. Unless of course, this is an issue of (R) or (D).
ebuddy

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2008, 12:38 PM

Of course he's helping the crisis, even though it's the people being hurt by the crisis who should be the ones receiving the help.
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2008, 04:39 PM

The only thing Bush helped in this Economic Crisis is creating it.
The Religious Right is neither.

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2008, 04:43 PM

I have been served! Thanks for the enlightened responses!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 04:51 PM

yeh...this guys is trustworthy...

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2008, 12:12 PM

We are talking about a guy who has to ask others about going to pee, someone who is surprised there are negros in Brazil. A (ex-?)alcoholic who ran several companies into the ground and achieved virtually nothing. Someone who became presidumb just to spend many days on a ranch off-work. A person who started a useless costly war against some contained 3rd world despot, because that "wanted to kill his poppy."

Do you honestly expect such a brain-surgeon to grasp anything of that magnitude and complexity?

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2008, 12:37 PM

I think he's incidental to the crisis.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I think he's incidental to the crisis.
Maybe he's just one of those guys that bad luck seems to follow. All the time.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2008, 01:35 PM

He's trying to help now. He has to fix this mess that the democrat fat cats in Washington got us into.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I think he's incidental to the country.
Fixed.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Fixed.
If only...

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2008, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
We are talking about a guy who has to ask others about going to pee, someone who is surprised there are negros in Brazil. A (ex-?)alcoholic who ran several companies into the ground and achieved virtually nothing. Someone who became presidumb just to spend many days on a ranch off-work. A person who started a useless costly war against some contained 3rd world despot, because that "wanted to kill his poppy."

Do you honestly expect such a brain-surgeon to grasp anything of that magnitude and complexity?
No, but I sure as heck expect you to show a hair of respect. Not only could I refute your accusations completly.. I could also fabricate a much worse template for your chosen candidate.

I'm all for you having the ability and right to say what you will, but your response clearly demonstrates your lack of confidence in your grasp of understanding of the issue.

As to the thread's question, I think Bush did exactly what was needed. Taking into account that he has asked for additional reforms throughout his tenure, and that they were refused - he's essentially guided the government to the point of being able to fund a bailout unseen ever before.

As a nation, we're going to get through this disaster barely missing a beat. Much the same way we've gotten trough war and insane gas prices. We can take hits as we continue to move forward. People can say what they want, they can even write what they want. It doesn't matter. We move to succeed because that's what we do. Like it or not, GWB was the right guy at the right time. There's no one else I'd trust with what he's been dealt.

In no way do I completely agree with everything Bush does or has done. But I trust the man as he's on the spot in deciding what's best for the nation.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
He's trying to help now. He has to fix this mess that the democrat fat cats in Washington got us into.
Sorry that lame excuse just doesn't work anymore.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2008, 12:06 PM

Bush doesn't deserve any respect. Fortunately, he doesn't get any, and his role in this, like his role in everything else, is incidental. Paulson is the guy everyone looks to here, just as Petraeus is the guy for Iraq. If you want to know about baseball, or about "The Pet Goat," then Bush is the guy.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
The only thing Bush helped in this Economic Crisis is creating it.
How? I see the biggest impact from the following:

1) Financial institutions offering sub prime ARM or balloon loans, and
2) People taking advantage of those loans and buying more house than they really could afford, and
3) As interest rates rose in response to current market circumstances, those people could no longer afford the higher mortgage payment, and
4) As those homeowners started defaulting on loans they could not afford now, the lending institutions started a downward spiral.

As Forrest Gump's mother said; "stupid is what stupid does". Those sub prime loans were stupid on both sides of the issue.

As a Republican, I believe in less government and less government oversight. If you are blaming Bush for not forcing Congress to pass legislation strictly controlling these risky lending practices, then okay, blame away. Very poor and risky decisions in a free market actually caused this mess.

A bailout is inevitable, but really goes against what a free market should be. Should the government bail out any business that fails due to their own poor practices? Answer that please.
macforray

stumblinmike  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
How? I see the biggest impact from the following:

1) Financial institutions offering sub prime ARM or balloon loans, and
2) People taking advantage of those loans and buying more house than they really could afford, and
3) As interest rates rose in response to current market circumstances, those people could no longer afford the higher mortgage payment, and
4) As those homeowners started defaulting on loans they could not afford now, the lending institutions started a downward spiral.

As Forrest Gump's mother said; "stupid is what stupid does". Those sub prime loans were stupid on both sides of the issue.

As a Republican, I believe in less government and less government oversight. If you are blaming Bush for not forcing Congress to pass legislation strictly controlling these risky lending practices, then okay, blame away. Very poor and risky decisions in a free market actually caused this mess.

A bailout is inevitable, but really goes against what a free market should be. Should the government bail out any business that fails due to their own poor practices? Answer that please.
Answer: No!!!

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
No, but I sure as heck expect you to show a hair of respect. Not only could I refute your accusations completly.. I could also fabricate a much worse template for your chosen candidate.
Whoah. Respec'? LIke in "the Frenchies are a bad people, we must hate them becus they hates us, Freedom Fries!!!!" ? What comes around goes around.

My candidate? D00de, I'm from _old_ Europe, I don't have a candidate in your elections. I'm just curious what stupid unnecessary wars a country like the U.S. gets stuck in, while at the same time (and noticeable if you wanted to) a house mortgage bubble increased and burst. But hey...

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules