Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhones after 9/30

iPhones after 9/30
dennett
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2010, 09:56 PM

I notice the free case offer ends 9/30, any ideas as to what apple has planned? Are they going to address the reception issue in some other way starting 10/1 or what? Any thoughts? We're thinking about upgrading from our 3G iphones and are wondering if we should wait until October. The new iOS4.1 has greatly improved the performance of our 3Gs, so we're willing to wait, now.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2010, 12:50 AM

I don't think there will be any change to the phone.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 08:53 AM

Engadget had an article stating that there was a hardware change in the works, but that was only one mention. None of the iPhone 4 owners I know have any reception problems.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2010, 11:35 AM

In their recentpress release about the impending end of free-cases-for-all-iPhone-buyers, Apple said something like, “We’re realizing the problem is even less severe than we’d thought.” (I’ll have to dig up where I saw that paraphrased.) They’ll also still give free bumpers after the 30th, but only to people who specifically report reception problems, not just anyone who buys an iPhone 4.

To me, this combination implies that they’re not making any design changes to the phone.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2010, 01:29 PM

I think their plan is "live with the 24 dBm drop."

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2010, 01:34 PM

If you waited this long, wait for the white iPhone, which can only be superior to the black one, if anything.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I think their plan is "live with the 24 dBm drop."
"...and sorry about AT&T. The phone's just fine in more developed countries."

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2010, 01:07 AM

"and since everybody's got cases now, the bad publicity has all gone away..."

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2010, 01:28 AM

All iPhone 4's shipped after 9/30 simply won't work. You'll see.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2010, 11:54 AM

Here's an article on Apple fudging any antenna fix: It's very much like the Emperor's New Clothes. If the Emperor "Apple" says the iPhone 4 antenna isn't a product liability, then it simply isn't!

3 Reasons Apple Is Mum on the iPhone 4 Antenna Fix - TheStreet

"At some point you just know that Apple had to be a little torn. Do you fess up, or do you try to buy time?
If Apple owned up to the problem and fixed it, there would been a huge price tag involved. A total recall and replacement of iPhone 4s would cost Apple about $1.8 billion, by RBC analyst Mike Abramsky's estimate."

"By going the other route -- offering phone-holding directions, blaming bad signal meters and handing out free bumpers -- Apple could work a stealth fix into the antennas on the new iPhones rolling off the line."

"It's a total no-brainer. Apple chose door No. 2."

"And come on. Find one person who was injured by a flawed antenna. As long as no one can prove Apple knowingly sold defective phones, all's clear on the product liability front."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2010, 12:33 PM

Bullshit.

Apple slipping a "stealth fix" into their production line would not be "stealth" for more than six minutes. Which would mean that Apple shipped defective phones beforehand and were liable for replacement anyway.

Apple made a conscious design compromise, deciding, as in any hardware design choice, that the benefits outweigh the negatives - which they do.

It's just two things:
1.) the weak spot is precisely and obviously locatable.
2.) coverage in the US is weak enough to make the effects of this weak spot easily reproducible. From what I've read, you lose a bar or two in Europe as well, but population density and thus coverage here are high enough that it doesn't seem to cause problems.

My friends on iPhone 4s, at least, appear to have no issues except in spots where they had NO reception with their previous phones.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2010, 02:57 AM

All I can say is that were I am at the moment in a area that has very bad coverage I get 2-5 bars inside the house with 2ft thick walls & outside I get full 5 bars on iPhone 4.

Others outside are moving around trying to get a fix...

Forum Links
Forum Rules