Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad usage questions

iPad usage questions
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2011, 05:39 AM

The iPad2 is under serious consideration, but I'd like some opinions and/or advice first.

I don't want to store all my photos or all my music or all my films on the iPad. They're on my iMac and I'd like to sometimes listen to music/watch a film/edit a photo. The iPad would be used 99% of the time in the house with the iMac. I'd get a Wifi only iPad.

1) The photos are in Aperture on the iMac. If I want to grab one and fool around with it on the iPad, edit, apply funky effects etc. How do I grab them? I presume getting the finished photo back onto the iMac is fairly easy, not necessary to get it back into Aperture, just stored in a folder somewhere. I suppose that I could have 2 libraries of photos (one on iMac and one on iPad) but that'll get messy fast. I like Aperture but if there's an Adobe product that would let me work on the iPad while still storing the photos on the iMac I'll take a look (yeah I've seen that Adobe has a Photoshop product better than the Express version that runs on the iPad, I know nothing when it comes to PS).

2) Is it better to stream films from the iMac and watch it on the iPad or to grab the file, watch on the iPad and then delete from the iPad afterwards?

3) Music as well, stream or not?

4) I know that there's Dropbox on the iPad, but is there a way that you don't have to store all the 'shared' stuff on the iPad? You could browse your files and when you want to read a pdf, it would download it?

Matt

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2011, 06:06 AM

4) You don't have to store your Dropbox files on the iPad. The app downloads the cloud copy at your request. You can give the app up to 1 GB of local storage for stuff you've downloaded, but you can also give it zero.

Zero isn't necessarily a bad choice, since you'll probably want to actually read the PDF in a dedicated reader, which will want to store its own copy (e.g. iBooks or GoodReader).

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2011, 07:51 AM

So (for a pdf) your Good Reader could access files that are in the Dropbox folders? I've probably not understood something about how files are treated by different apps, I always thought that you had to use a specific app to access specific files (each app managed its files).

I've got several gigs of pdfs and chm files (MS help files) stored on the iMac that would be cool to access on the iPad, is this possible? Without putting stuff into Dropbox folders?

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2011, 08:03 AM

OK, just read about GoodReader and StreamToMe. Now I need to understand how to do photo stuff.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2011, 08:52 AM

I'm no good for the photo question, but it occurred to me I have useful information, if not a direct answer to the question asked, for number 3.

The best way to do it is to to keep all the music on your iMac, and get an Airport Express hooked up to a stereo. You can then control it from the iPad just dandy with Apple's Remote app.

-Q-
Apr 5, 2011, 09:43 AM

I don't know of any app that will let you "check out" a photo from your aperture library and then place it back in the library after you've edited it.

Videos will really depend on how you want to interact with them, and how many you have in your library. I do a combination, myself. I have about 6 videos on the iPad (wifi only) at any given time for when I'm traveling and don't have guaranteed wifi access. I use an app called AirVideo to stream my library when I do.

I'll typically not have any storage allotted for DropBox and just download the files on an as needed basis, and use the appropriate app to view them.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2011, 10:09 AM

Dropbox is rapidly becoming the iPad file system Apple didn't create. There are more and more apps out there that write and read files to and from dropbox. I'd use it whenever possible.

Music, I keep a number of playlists on my iPad, but mostly use streaming apps like Pandora.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I don't know of any app that will let you "check out" a photo from your aperture library and then place it back in the library after you've edited it.
I didn't think that I could put it back into the Aperture library, but if I could just get it back onto the iMac then that would be good enough. I'm probably being paranoid, but I have visions of running out of space. Maybe it won't be such an issue.

-Q-
Apr 5, 2011, 10:32 AM

It will depend on your personal usage, obviously, but I've not really found space to be an issue. I have a Gen 1 32GB wifi and still have about 1.5GB of space left with 465 songs, 6 videos, 191 photos and 96 apps (and that's not including the books, digital comics and random PDFs in GoodReader). File transfers are quite easy so I don't foresee any issue in getting photos off your iPad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules