Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does Apple still sell a branded Swiss Army Knife in the Campus Store?

Does Apple still sell a branded Swiss Army Knife in the Campus Store?
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 03:40 PM

Okay, I had an old Apple-branded Swiss Army Knife. I can't remember when I got it - I think it was sometime back in the 20th century. It's an ordinary red Swiss Army Knife with an Apple logo centered on one side. It looks like this:

The trouble is, I let someone borrow it and he broke it.

I do know that the Apple Campus Store in Cupertino used to sell this kind of stuff. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near California right now and won't be able to go there anytime soon. What I'm wondering is:

1. Do they still sell Swiss Army Knives with an Apple logo on them in Cupertino?

2. If so, does someone live close to there? And,

3. If so, how much would it cost to get one and ship it to me? I'll PayPal you the money, and I could also throw in a few Pacifist registrations if you need.

My apologies if this should be in the Marketplace forum - I'm not sure considering the fact that I'm trying to find out if Apple still sells these things in the first place.

Thanks!
( Last edited by CharlesS; Oct 12, 2005 at 03:59 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 12, 2005, 03:57 PM

my friend picked me up one when he went in to interview at Apple about 9 months ago. it was black, not red.
don't know about the rest of your questions, sorry.

micahgartman
Oct 12, 2005, 04:00 PM

The Missing Bite has the black one:

http://missingbite.com/details/detail.html?137

Good luck!
mg

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 04:04 PM

I have the red one from when I went to WWDC. They probably still have it there. I'd bet it's quite popular.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by micahgartman
The Missing Bite has the black one:

http://missingbite.com/details/detail.html?137

Good luck!
mg
Thanks! I was kind of hoping I could get a red one sort of like my existing one, though. Anyone know if the red one with the centered Apple logo is still being made?

edit: Hey starman, that's great to hear. If you can get an extra one of those somehow, I will buy it from you.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 04:53 PM

I have a black one. It's a Clearish black color.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 11:52 AM

bump

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 12:08 PM

The missingbite only has the black one available. What is the other site for apple logo items? They might have some.

edit: redlightrunner, the expensive place. they don't have the red one either.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 11:31 PM

Charles, I've been to the Company Store about twice a year for the past six years (if they were open on weekends, I would have been there much more often), and I recall having seen only the transparent grey ones with the white Apple logo at one end. They came in a nice metal presentation case with a keyring. The last time I saw them they were piled up in the clearance area and I think they were about $8.00.

I have to go there again next week and I'll see what they have. Will any colour Victorinox do, or must it be red?
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

misc
Oct 14, 2005, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Wahnsinn
Charles, I've been to the Company Store about twice a year for the past six years (if they were open on weekends, I would have been there much more often), and I recall having seen only the transparent grey ones with the white Apple logo at one end. They came in a nice metal presentation case with a keyring. The last time I saw them they were piled up in the clearance area and I think they were about $8.00.

I have to go there again next week and I'll see what they have. Will any colour Victorinox do, or must it be red?
If you go, please pick me up one too.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2005, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Wahnsinn

Thank you so much!

Red would be the best, if they have it. It just seems subtle and classy. Someone asks to borrow my knife to open a package or something, and the knife looks like an ordinary Victorinox knife at first, until they notice the Apple logo and go "hey!"

Plus, the thing kind of had sentimental value to me since Apple sent it to me for free for helping a lot of people on the old Apple Discussion Boards waaaay back in the day. That was in the OS 8/9 days, so mostly I posted descriptions of how to troubleshoot extension problems and other mundane things of that sort. However, they sent me a free copy of OS 9, that knife, and a T-shirt at various times. Now the knife is broken but if I could get one that looked like it, it would be the next best thing. If it's in a different color, then maybe it would be okay depending on what the color is and how it looks. I'd have to think about it.

One thing I guess I could do if the knife isn't available anymore would be to buy a regular Victorinox knife, get the faceplate to come off somehow and glue on the Apple-logo one from my broken knife... but I'd have to figure out how to get the thing off without snapping it or something...

Anyway, thanks a lot for checking this out for me. If they have this, that would be great!
( Last edited by CharlesS; Oct 14, 2005 at 03:05 AM. )

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Oct 14, 2005, 08:39 PM

Well, Charles and Misc, prior to my trip to Apple next week, I thought I should give them a call. According to the employee I spoke with, they don't have the small keyring knives anymore. They do still stock an Apple logo Victorinox knife, the $70 CyberTool model in transparent grey. It's the one with the interchangeable magnetic-mount torx and Philips bits. I've seen these on previous visits but I can't remember if the Apple logo is a white painted one, or a metal inlay. I'll still have a look when I'm there and report back if they happen to have more of the small knives.

Charles, I guess you'll have to try your idea of grafting your old plastics onto a new knife. I hope it works out for you.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2005, 09:44 PM

Oh well, $70 is a little more than I think I want to pay right now. But still, thanks for checking that out for me.

misc
Oct 15, 2005, 10:18 AM

Thanks for checking, but I think I will pass. Let me know if you find anything else.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 11:59 AM

I have the black one... and the think different watch that runs backwards

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2005, 03:51 PM

Why would anyone want something so lame, it doesn't even play MP3's. (apostrophe error added on purpose).

Forum Links
Forum Rules