Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Carbon Dioxide: they call pollution, we call it life.

Carbon Dioxide: they call pollution, we call it life. (Page 4)
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2006, 11:58 AM

I was referring more to the idea that until at least Descartes, if one's science strayed too far from church doctrine, one stood the real chance of being burned at the stake. He (Descartes) worked in constant fear of the church, and moderated his publications in accordance with those fears -- he had Bruno to hold up as a very real example of what happened when logic and reason contradicted doctrine. Galileo might not have been burned, but the church sure screwed him over.

Notions about the mechanics of our world were supposed to be revealed by divine truth, and not by experimentation and empirical observation, because the latter showed a lack of faith. It was the mid-1600's when all that really turned around as far as widespread thinking.

But even today, we have a conflict between those who want to accept doctrinal dogma over observed, proofed and widely accepted science, so the problem has not gone away entirely.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Notions about the mechanics of our world were supposed to be revealed by divine truth, and not by experimentation and empirical observation, because the latter showed a lack of faith. It was the mid-1600's when all that really turned around as far as widespread thinking.
What's not to like about crystaline celestial spheres and perfect motion?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
I was referring more to the idea that until at least Descartes, if one's science strayed too far from church doctrine, one stood the real chance of being burned at the stake. He (Descartes) worked in constant fear of the church, and moderated his publications in accordance with those fears -- he had Bruno to hold up as a very real example of what happened when logic and reason contradicted doctrine. Galileo might not have been burned, but the church sure screwed him over.

But even today, we have a conflict between those who want to accept doctrinal dogma over observed, proofed and widely accepted science, so the problem has not gone away entirely.
Yeah, I see what you mean, but - since part of my minor has been focused on the history of science and technology since the Greeks - I feel that any sort of notion that religion or theology has somehow "hindered" or "conflicted" with the development of natural philosophy and/or science.

While it's true that some real trouble could happen to people who directly opposed the established religion (whether in Islamic or Christian variations), what most people don't realize is that almost to a man the great "scientists" were all quite religious. Even better, the work they did was often considered for their religion or God - to somehow prove or explore the wonders of such a divine being's Creation, if you will. You mention Descartes and/or Galileo as examples, but both were devoutly religious - Galileo ever considered himself a son of the Church right up until his death, despite the accusations and trial thrown against him. Newton himself was said to be the greatest living anti-Trinitarian theologian" who took some time off theology to write about the natural world! You can observe this pattern in many of the great Christian natural philosophers of the middle ages, right along into the Islamic period before that.

While I do agree with your comments on doctrinal dogma sometimes getting in the way of the acceptance of new beliefs and scientific discoveries, I think it would be a mistake to say that it has been something which has historically hindered the "progress of science" - in fact, I think many historians would argue that religion worked hand-in-hand with science and helped it grow. I think it's equally a mistake to say that before the "scientific revolution" natural philosophy was to be revealed by divine truth rather than empirical observation and experimentation - the rise of both during this period is a topic which has a hundred culminating reasons involving social, religious and industrial aspects of medieval life (such as an emphasis on "testing Nature" so she could reveal her secrets, advocated by Francis Bacon - who was a witness to such attempts on humans in the torture chamber). The Islamic scientists who were so important in molding Greek knowledge and passing it on to the Europeans were quite well-known for their early forms of experiments, and the Aristotelian fundamentals of reason, logic and observation were the basis of natural philosophy.

Anyways, yeah. Off-topic or something.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
If everyone had always thought this way, we'd still be struggling to accept the Earth not being the center of the universe.
Well, the Earth IS the center of the universe…insofar as it is manifested in OUR observation of it from THIS point of reference right here. [points to head] It is science that is being unreasonable by trying to project themselves into a part of the universe which they BELIEVE to be the center. Since all observations are subject to the observers point of reference it is wrong to try and inject ourselves to the theoretical center of the universe, since the rest of the universe can be no more correctly observed from any other single point of reference…

(um…did someone ask for some amateur philosophy? )
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2006, 07:35 AM

smacintush, how come you hate science? Did it sleep with your wife or something?

Kevin
Baninated
May 26, 2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Retirement community: liberal
Not from what I have seen.
Online community: conservative
You are kidding right?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Well, the Earth IS the center of the universe…insofar as it is manifested in OUR observation of it from THIS point of reference right here. [points to head] It is science that is being unreasonable by trying to project themselves into a part of the universe which they BELIEVE to be the center. Since all observations are subject to the observers point of reference it is wrong to try and inject ourselves to the theoretical center of the universe, since the rest of the universe can be no more correctly observed from any other single point of reference…
It's kinda funny, you're 1/2 right by accident. "Science" does not try to inject people about the theoretical center of the universe, because there isn't one. The "center" is always the reference point form which you make the observation.

If you imagine the universe as the surface of an expanding bubble, where's the center of that surface? That's one thing that Edwin Hubble helpled to establish that led us to figure out the shape of the universe. No matter where you are, all objects in the universe appear to be accelerating away from you.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
It's kinda funny, you're 1/2 right by accident. "Science" does not try to inject people about the theoretical center of the universe, because there isn't one. The "center" is always the reference point form which you make the observation.

If you imagine the universe as the surface of an expanding bubble, where's the center of that surface? That's one thing that Edwin Hubble helpled to establish that led us to figure out the shape of the universe. No matter where you are, all objects in the universe appear to be accelerating away from you.
Actually, I'm 1/2 right by design.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Actually, I'm 1/2 right by design.
Edwin Hubble was able to prove his theory, why don't you prove yours?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Edwin Hubble was able to prove his theory, why don't you prove yours?
'Cuz I don't have to and It's not a theory I actually believe in! Just like 80% of the crap I type in these forums!

d4nth3m4n  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 12:25 AM

anyone just see them ripping on this on VH1's "best week ever"?

Forum Links
Forum Rules