Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What if I had bought Apple Stock instead of a particular Apple product?

What if I had bought Apple Stock instead of a particular Apple product?
amazing
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 12:58 PM

Anybody hear the NPR story last night (I was stuck in traffic) on "What if I bought Apple stock?"

Apple: Products Vs. Stock : NPR

The story grows out of a blog put together by Kyle Conroy listing tons of Apple products. You take the introductory price, the date of introduction, and the price of Apple stock at that point in time:

Kyle Conroy's Personal Blog and Portfolio - Should I have bought that Apple Product?

So, I bought the PB 400 Titanium, which he doesn't list, but he does list the PB 500 Ti at $3500. If that had been invested in Apple stock, it would now be worth $110,190

Caveat: the figures don't include any brokerage fees, etc, etc, so it's 'somewhat' misleading considering how much those would consumed of the original investment.

And, natch, I've also bought quite a few other Apple products on that list, namely a succession of Apple laptops.

The whole thing begs the question of what other laptops I could have bought? I could've bought a succession of cheaper Windows laptops, and that would've entailed a whole bunch of virus software fees and renewals, countless disinfection fees, countless total-cost-of-ownership expenditures.

Back then, who've thought Apple would do so well?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 28, 2010, 04:31 PM

Well, if my family would not have purchased all of those Apple products, I likely would not have a job now, so I think it was a much better investment as a learning tool.

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 07:42 PM

You can even play Solitaire on Apple stock*!

* = (provided you have an actual certificate to play on and a deck of cards....)

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 28, 2010, 08:07 PM

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 09:30 PM

Oops, that explains it.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2010, 10:17 PM

Where is that timeline of history when needed?

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
May 28, 2010, 11:33 PM

my guess is that if you used the "search" function, you probably wouldn't find the history timeline...

Forum Links
Forum Rules