Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office 2011 Credentials

Office 2011 Credentials
cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2010, 08:08 PM

I have an Excel file that goes out to the Internet to get some stock quotes and whenever I open the file Excel asks me to allow content. I deselected "warn before opening a file that contains macros" but that didn't do it (and isn't the correct solution even if it worked). I need to authenticate in Excel (or any Office 2011 program) but when I go to the review tab and select permissions --> manage credentials I don't know what to enter there. I tried an email address but it was stuck on stupid and never did anything. Little snitch didn't show Excel (or Word for that matter) send anything out to check the credentials. I see microsoft_entity_certificates in my keychain (no password associated with that) but what do I add there? Is this the location to manage identities? If so, I added myself and it didn't work...could be that I did something wrong.

My question is if anyone has any experience with this and how to I get my files to open without having to click "allow" though ironically, I've wasted the equivalent of 1,000,000 click on "allow" trying to avoid it

Thanks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2010, 11:28 PM

How do you even get Excel 2011 to retrieve data from the Internet?
I tried to do that, but couldn't find this feature in the Office 2011 for Mac.

Was the spreadsheet originally set up in Office for Windows?

-t

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
How do you even get Excel 2011 to retrieve data from the Internet?
I tried to do that, but couldn't find this feature in the Office 2011 for Mac.

Was the spreadsheet originally set up in Office for Windows?

-t
Yeah, the spreadsheet was originally set up in Windows but I figured out how to edit the default templates that came with Mac to get whatever I wanted.

The query templates are located at /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Queries

You insert them by selecting the following menu: Tools-->Get External Data-->Run Saved Query...

Then you pick the query. I went to the Yahoo Finance page and entered several mutual funds I invest in, copied the URL, and pasted it on top of the URL in the MSN MoneyCentral Stock Quotes.txt query and saved it as Yahoo Finance Stock Quotes. Then I went to the previously mentioned menu item ("Run Saved Query..."), selected my new query, selected the cells to insert it into, then clicked Ok. Also had to change the properties to tell it to open update the query when the spreadsheet opens.

I'm surprised it worked but it's great. Here's a screen recording I just did to help out. Let me know if you have any questions.
( Last edited by cgc; Dec 21, 2010 at 07:59 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 10:30 PM

Very cool.

Thanks

I wonder why M$ didn't just add the same wizard that they offer in Windows Excel, where you can select parts of a website yourself.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 10:44 PM

Have you ever solved the stupid Security Warning issue ?

I don't think the "manage credentials" route is the way to go, it requires some sort of M$ server that manages credentials.

There's gotta be a way to turn this darn thing off.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 11:16 PM

Meh, shows that M$ is still a bunch of f*cking retards.
Apparently, you need to connect to a Information Rights Management server in order to "manage" those Security Warnings and turn them off.

Download details: Information Rights Management in Office for Mac 2011 Deployment Guide

How f*cking idiotic.

-t

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Meh, shows that M$ is still a bunch of f*cking retards.
Apparently, you need to connect to a Information Rights Management server in order to "manage" those Security Warnings and turn them off.

Download details: Information Rights Management in Office for Mac 2011 Deployment Guide

How f*cking idiotic.

-t
Thanks for the link, unfortunately I don't have a rights management server. I'll look into this more after the Christmas holiday, there's gotta be an easier way to do this.

I also wish MS used the same web query wizard on the Mac that they used in Windows...so easy.
( Last edited by cgc; Jan 13, 2011 at 08:23 PM. )

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2011, 08:22 PM

I looked into this and it'd doable but according to the MS directions I need a Windows 7 computer with the Rights Management server running to enable my Mac to allow macros from "trusted users" without asking for permission each time. What a crock of crap...I emailed MS but I doubt they care. How is this a solution? I hope someone comes with a workaround but it seems like we're <beeped> for the time being.

Forum Links
Forum Rules