Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Repair madness

Repair madness
HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 12:03 AM

Today my computer went in for a Super Drive replacement, as well as reseating display cables to try and solve uneven illumination. I received the computer back, the tech said display seems to be working fine. I get it home and my display is exactly the way I sent it in, as well as two new issues. 1st) screen does ripple effect just when typing when on my lap--- same effect as if you were to push the aluminum lid, and 2nd) The hinge doesn't seem to be moving fluidly, when closing the lid the hinge stops moving 1.5 inches before the latch catches, meaning the remainder is utilizing the tolerance of the frame.....

I don't know if I should send it to apple directly, or go a second round at the aasp.

Advice?

The machine is the newest available 12"-- 1.5 ghz

Chris

ledzeppelin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2006, 03:54 AM

( Last edited by ledzeppelin; Jan 29, 2006 at 11:57 PM. )

jasonv1
Jan 20, 2006, 12:24 AM

Send it to Apple.

AASP's rarely do enough repair work to learn how to do it properly, especially when it comes to laptops.

My own (former) employer would do desktop repairs, but for laptops we sent them off to Apple. 24 hour turnaround (if the part was in stock) and sometimes free plastics to boot.

Originally Posted by HarriganC
Today my computer went in for a Super Drive replacement, as well as reseating display cables to try and solve uneven illumination. I received the computer back, the tech said display seems to be working fine. I get it home and my display is exactly the way I sent it in, as well as two new issues. 1st) screen does ripple effect just when typing when on my lap--- same effect as if you were to push the aluminum lid, and 2nd) The hinge doesn't seem to be moving fluidly, when closing the lid the hinge stops moving 1.5 inches before the latch catches, meaning the remainder is utilizing the tolerance of the frame.....

I don't know if I should send it to apple directly, or go a second round at the aasp.

Advice?

The machine is the newest available 12"-- 1.5 ghz

Chris
-Formerly: Mac Plus, PowerMac 8100, Orange Clamshell iBook, G3 B@W, G3 900 iBook, G4 eMac, G5 1.8 Dually, G5 2.0 Dually, G4 iBook, G4 Mac Mini, MBP Rev1 2.0.

-Current: MBP Core 2 Duo

-If I can sneak it in the house: Mac Pro (any will do)

Forum Links
Forum Rules