Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Ok, I need a high-quality 802.11g router, I am at wits end...

Ok, I need a high-quality 802.11g router, I am at wits end...
OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 02:44 PM

I am having a lot of trouble with my Netgear MR814 wireless 802.11b router.

The whole thing seems to "die" often, requiring a re-set. (unplug, plugin).

I got it for about $37 dollars, so I can part with it now...

I need a new one.

I need it to have at least:

- 4 Ethernet Ports in the back
- 802.11g Wireless access
- Work with my Airport Extreme Card reliably

I am using:

- 1 iMac - Ethernet
- 1 Powerbook - Airport Extreme
- 1 PC - Ethernet
- 1 XBox - Ethernet
- 1 PS2 - Ethernet
- 2 Hubs

I am willing to spend up to $100.

Anyone recommend a specific router? Anyone recommend a router they have been using more more than a week?

Thanks.
-Owl

John Strung
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 03:49 PM

Before you replace the router, check the Netgear web site to see if they have updated firmware for your router. That often fixes problems such as those that you describe.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 05:15 PM

If you can't get your Netgear to work, I would suggest the Linksys WRT54G wireless router. It has your 4 port switch/hub for your ethernet connected devices and 802.11g wireless. Linksys is a good brand. I've heard mixed reports of users not able to connect to the wireless part of this router with Apple's Airport Extreme Card and version 3.4 of Apple's Airport software. I don't know if 3.4.1 fixed this or not. I guess you can always return it if it doesn't work for you. I had a Linksys wired only router before I got the Netgear 802.11b wireless router that I have now and it worked great.

Here's a link to the router:
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=601
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

f1000
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 10:25 PM

The D-link DI-624 802.11g router fulfills all your requirements and, with the exception of one bad firmware update, has worked flawlessly for me. The DI-624 also costs under $70. I have the one antenna �C� version of the router.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?pr...roogle&tiled=1

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 10:59 PM

I have updated the firmware. Don't seem to help.

-Owl

f1000
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 11:08 PM

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you might want to see if there aren't any cracked solder points between the power connector and PCB.

Fixing commodity electronics, though, is usually a waste of time.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
If you're handy with a soldering iron, you might want to see if there aren't any cracked solder points between the power connector and PCB.

Fixing commodity electronics, though, is usually a waste of time.
Yeah it's a waste of time to fix it just buy a new one. Unless you like to open stuff up and fix it.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 02:58 AM

I have 2 of the same routers as you for over a year and it crashes MAYBE once every 4 months.

My old linksys crashed every 1-4 days. The replacement a year later did the same thing.

Does your netgear crash when you use BitTorrent a lot?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 08:08 AM

I had the MR814v2 as well and I agree that it tends to "freeze" often. The LEDs will display activity, but the packets seem to be dropped. Ping replies are never returned, and connections seem to time out. The only solution is to power-cycle the router. I applied the latest firmware as well. I'm not sure if the heat in my area (its a tropical country, after all) affects the router's performance, but my router would lock up at least once a week, and more frequently if I do intensive file tranfers (WAN->LAN).

I switched to the WGR614v4 because I needed something faster (I frequently transfer 500MB+ files over the network), and its made me happy. Its about 3x faster (real-world use) than the MR814v2, and I'm pleased to say that its much more stable.

It seems that among all the (cheap) wireless routers, Linksys's WTR54G is getting really good reviews and praises. There're also firmware patches that bring in a slew of features since its running Linux. I'd give the Linksys WTR54G a look.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 11:32 PM

Yes, bittorrent is one thing that does it, but it happens once in awhile other times too.

Thanks for the Reply on MR814v2, that is the same thing that happens to me, I have to restart the router by unplugging it.

About the Faster speeds on your internal network: what is it that does that? The Giga-bit ethernet?

-Owl

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 02:47 AM

Ummm... Not sure who you were referring to in the second part of your last post, but if its in reference to my claim of 3X faster, its that my transfer speeds from my PC to the Mac via 802.11g tops out at 1.9MBps, in comparison to 600KBps with my MR814v2. While 54Mbps should theoretically give me higher transfer rates, there's always overhead and ~2MBps is good enough for me.

If I want anything faster, I can always hook up direct to one of the ports, where I can push almost 6MBps.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesmaI switched to the WGR614v4 because I needed something faster (I frequently transfer 500MB+ files over the network), and its made me happy. Its about 3x faster (real-world use) than the MR814v2, and I'm pleased to say that its much more stable.
Any difference between a Netgear WGR614v4 and a WGR614CN? Are all the WGR614 bascially the same? Anyone else have good or bad things to say about this 802.11g line?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 9, 2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
The D-link DI-624 802.11g router fulfills all your requirements and, with the exception of one bad firmware update, has worked flawlessly for me. The DI-624 also costs under $70. I have the one antenna �C� version of the router.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?pr...roogle&tiled=1
I have the DI-624 as well, and it works perfectly as long as I completely deactivate the Super Turbo-G mode (which, of course, is not part of the WiFi standard). With it set to standard G only, it works impeccably.

I had a Netgear before, and it died on me twice. The D-Link has been great.

tooki

WizOSX
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 02:20 PM

The DI-624 is on sale here right now for $65 ($US). Does it have USB port or is it just a eternet 4-port?

WizOSX
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX
Does it have USB port or is it just a eternet 4-port?
Answered my own question on that one--4-port hub, no USB.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2004, 11:58 PM

I've got one of the Netgear FM114P 802.11b routers, and love the box. Absolutely love it. Wouldn't mind upgrading to the FWG114P (802.11g) router. But I can't justify the cost, since 11Mbps seems to be enough right now.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
Ummm... Not sure who you were referring to in the second part of your last post, but if its in reference to my claim of 3X faster, its that my transfer speeds from my PC to the Mac via 802.11g tops out at 1.9MBps, in comparison to 600KBps with my MR814v2. While 54Mbps should theoretically give me higher transfer rates, there's always overhead and ~2MBps is good enough for me.

If I want anything faster, I can always hook up direct to one of the ports, where I can push almost 6MBps.
Ah, I was confused. Thanks for the Reply.

And on D-Link: I will check it out, they even have the Bondi-iMac-Thing going on

-Owl

WizOSX
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 09:54 PM

SMC is selling a 802.11g wireless router (model #SMC2804WBRP-G) which has some advantages of Apple's Airport base station--supposedly Mac compatible and includes a USB port. Anyone try it yet?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 11:25 PM

The CN denotes Canadian version, if I'm not mistaken, and it may be a specific release for Canada (to comply with local rules and regulations). Since it isn't listed in Netgear's website, I can't say which iteration of the WGR614 (v1, v2, v3, or v4) this is.

The v4's latest firmware release is important, since it gives you WPA.

It seems that lately, Netgear's products have had a "cheaper" feel to them. From the construction of the product to the quality of the build (software). And their support leaves you wanting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules