Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kanji-proficient people, help!

Kanji-proficient people, help!
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2004, 12:24 PM

In this picture, which contains the lyrics for a song called Sumiregusa, at the top right, there are two Kanji.

The second one (感 ) means to feel, or feeling, right? (Well, guessing here, that's what it means in Chinese). But the first one??? I have searched through gazillions (it feels) of Chinese characters, but it simply doesn't seem to exist in Chinese!

Can somebody here help me identify this Kanji (preferably also illuminating me on how to pronounce the two Kanji together)?

Thanks in advance

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2004, 12:32 PM

That is reikan which means...inspiration. Rei means "spirit" or "ghost." I don't know if it exists in Chinese or not, but I would assume that it does (although perhaps not in simplified characters).

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2004, 12:37 PM

Here's the traditional version of the character. I would imagine that this is what it is in traditional Chinese. Don't know about simplified. (For some reason Macnn doesn't want to let me post in Japanese, so here it is as a graphic).

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2004, 12:43 PM

AHA!!!!!

Thank you so much! The traditional form I certainly know! That's l�ng (which, in the simplified form is written as 灵 instead). And yes, 灵感 (l�nggǎn) means "inspiration" in Chinese too. Thank you!

Btw, the title "Sumiregusa" is translated as "Wild Violet" - is sumiregusa just a violet, or a wild violet?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2004, 12:49 PM

I don't think it necessarily has to be "wild" -- maybe they just thought it sounded better.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I don't think it necessarily has to be "wild" -- maybe they just thought it sounded better.
Yeah, that's what I thought too - I mean, in the context it makes sense, 'cause the violet that the song is about is a wild one, but the sumire is just a violet, wild or not... well, thanks again

Forum Links
Forum Rules