Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any violent dog-lover lives in Dallas?

Any violent dog-lover lives in Dallas? (Page 3)
Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
When I say "never much liked" I mean as in one you've talked to your neighbors about. Perhaps I misunderstood, but I got the impression from you that if you saw your neighbors dog in your yard, you wouldn't be waiting for it to make an aggressive move before taking action.
No, this is what I said:
Our neighbor's (across the street) dog always rushes me and barks at me whenever I go near our road. Every time I get the mail or take out the trash I have this 30-40 lbs. dog looking like it is going to attack me. I wish it would attack me so I could solve the problem once and for all. How do you think I feel about letting my 2 year old or four year old playing in our front yard? Think I should go let my four year old go get the mail for her own house on her own property?
I can't be in my yard playing with my kids and go answer the phone in the house without worrying about that dog attacking my kids.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 04:00 PM

Regarding the title... (violent dog) lover OR violent (dog lover)?

edit: Reading the last few posts I see it's the former.

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I can't be in my yard playing with my kids and go answer the phone in the house without worrying about that dog attacking my kids.
Have you thought about getting some bigger kids?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I can't say that I agree with the guy shooting the dogs himself, but my parents have had incredible difficulty getting the police to do anything about their neighbors' two dogs that nearly burst through a fence several times trying to get to my 4-year-old nephew. The dogs have barked well past midnight, knocked down portions of the fence, and have gotten out a time or two and tried to attack my dad. The dogs' behavior has shown they're dangerous to others, but my parents neighbors refuse to do anything; the police have been no different.
People shouldn't have to be made to live like this. At a different house I used to live in,I had to go to a city council meeting and make a public complaint about the chief of police and his inaction about a neighbors dog. He was publicly scolded my city council members and the next day tickets were issued to my neighbors for allowing their dogs to wander and bark all night.
I do wish the guy hadn't shot the dogs, since any action taken with a gun that even seems slightly irresponsible is going to reflect poorly on all gun-owners. However, if people are unwilling or unable to control their aggressive pets (especially pitbulls), I don't blame anyone for taking proactive measures to protect their families.
Well said.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN

No, this is what I said:
Actually, I was referring to this:
If I ever see that dog in my backyard I will probably grab a shovel (no gun on property) and bury the thing.

Railroader
Banned

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Have you thought about getting some bigger kids?
We're working on it. Hopefully in a few years we'll have a 5 year old and 7 year old that know how to use shovels.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 04:05 PM

Actually, I was referring to this:
By "that dog", I mean the one that terrorizes me in my front yard, and by "back yard", I mean an area that no one can see me do the deed and bury the evidence.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2008, 04:08 PM

By "that dog", I mean the one that terrorizes me in my front yard, and by "back yard", I mean an area that no one can see me do the deed and bury the evidence.
That doesn't change my impression:
I got the impression from you that if you saw your neighbors dog in your yard, you wouldn't be waiting for it to make an aggressive move before taking action.
I certainly don't get the impression it'd be friendly, but it sounds like you'd take care of the deed even if he was sitting around panting happily (in your back yard).

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 04:22 PM

That doesn't change my impression:

I certainly don't get the impression it'd be friendly, but it sounds like you'd take care of the deed even if he was sitting around panting happily (in your back yard).
I don't see that happening. But you are right, i couldn't "shovel" a friendly dog.

In my defense, I did post this:
I wish it would attack me so I could solve the problem once and for all.
Alas, I could not eliminate a friendly dog.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2008, 04:24 PM

I don't see that happening. But you are right, i couldn't "shovel" a friendly dog.

In my defense, I did post this:

Alas, I could not eliminate a friendly dog.
Ok, ok, sorry for the drawn out posts. And yeah, I can definitely see wishing it'd attack. End the suspense once and for all.
(Or conversely, that ****er would move away)

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 04:28 PM

Ok, ok, sorry for the drawn out posts. And yeah, I can definitely see wishing it'd attack. End the suspense once and for all.
(Or conversely, that ****er would move away)
Perhaps I should "Lone Star"-it and not try to be succinct in my posting.

Nah... that would require too much spell check and post-editing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 04:43 PM

Yeah and in that situation I can't blame anyone for taking matter into their own hands.

Hell, I'd love it if they showed the neighbor the firearm they were keeping on them just in case every time they were supervising the nephew playing outside.
My dad has confessed to being tempted to "do a little nose damage with the weedeater" one day when one of the dogs slammed through the hole in the fence he had created, scaring ol' Pops to death. My dad is such a well-meaning, laid-back guy though; the only reason he would ever go nuts on the dogs is if they came anywhere near his grandkids.

Does the fact that their neighbor is a lawyer (not the "good" kind) change anything?

People shouldn't have to be made to live like this. At a different house I used to live in,I had to go to a city council meeting and make a public complaint about the chief of police and his inaction about a neighbors dog. He was publicly scolded my city council members and the next day tickets were issued to my neighbors for allowing their dogs to wander and bark all night.
It's a shame that it would have to come to that, isn't it? I think the problem is widespread enough that people don't feel like responding. If we had much heavier fines for this sort of thing (it's only $100 in my neighborhood), it might change things a bit.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 04:47 PM

It's a shame that it would have to come to that, isn't it? I think the problem is widespread enough that people don't feel like responding. If we had much heavier fines for this sort of thing (it's only $100 in my neighborhood), it might change things a bit.
It was a $500 fine w/ 90 days in jail where we lived. I don't know what it is where we live now. The violation was called "Dog loose, owner not in control". It was a misdemeanor I think.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2008, 05:17 PM

Wait a second I just realized what this thread is. It is a thread asking for someone in Texas to violently attack/harass another person in some way.

Thats not cool.

-Owl

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
Wait a second I just realized what this thread is. It is a thread asking for someone in Texas to violently attack/harass another person in some way.

Thats not cool.

-Owl
You could also interpret the thread title as asking if there are any people who are into bestiality with violent canines that reside in Dallas.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2008, 06:11 PM

Speaking of Lone Star, where is he? Two internships i really cramping his MacNN style.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 06:12 PM

Is it time to file the paperwork Dakar? You are posting after work hours.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2008, 06:22 PM

No, it's called overtime.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 06:23 PM

Not dropping a deuce?

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2008, 07:31 PM

No, it's called overtime.
You get time and a half for wasting time here on overtime?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

finboy
Aug 27, 2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I don't beleive his story a bit.. Come on, he was afraid for his daughter... at 4 am?? Where was she sleeping, on the porch? Just lock the door and call the owner the next morning, sick bastard! This was pure retaliation, and I hope someone will retaliate against him... I wish he has a nice car and nice big bay windows
I feel for the poor dogs, as it obviously is a problem with their owners. I mean, what idiot lets their dogs run around at night? Those folks should be banned from owning dogs in the future, and should get their very own social worker for their troubles.

Welcome to Texas! Here we shoot trespassers. Pit Bull trespassers too. The guy warned the neighbors and did what he HAD TO DO to protect his property and child. If it were me, I'd do the same (after calling Animal Control perhaps once). Pit Bulls carry deadly force with them wherever they go (at least DF against kids) -- he responded appropriately.

Too bad for the doggies. Seriously. It's not THEIR FAULT their owners are *********s.

finboy
Aug 27, 2008, 07:39 PM

If he suspected he would need to use it, he should've stayed inside... Or ran inside once he perceived the threat.. I agree it's ok to use lethal force as a last resort, but I highly doubt that was the case here..
Should've stayed inside? It's his fricking house.

Cold Warrior
Aug 27, 2008, 07:56 PM

Those dogs are walking, snarling weapons. Any human should feel justified in terminating the dog in order to protect himself, family, or welfare. Dangerous dogs simply can't roam neighborhoods like feral animals, and we shouldn't have to live in fear of them coming into our yard and attacking us. That's not a shabby American, that's the quintessential one.

BreadRecipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2008, 08:59 PM

I love how pit bulls are "a dangerous breed" now. I have a purebred pit bull, who is the nicest dog you'd ever meet. More self-control than any other dog I've ever had and has never even growled at a human in her entire life. I also have a purebred boxer. You know, the breed that's great with kids, easily trained, and super nice? She hates humans. Strangers actually. Once she knows someone she's fine. I've had both of these dogs since birth. Literally. I know that owners of the parents and have been around them since birth and took them when they were old enough to be away from their mother. I really fear that if someone were to enter the house when I'm not home, the boxer would attack them. I, nor anyone else, has ever struck either dog, and both have been treated equally with love and affection. I feel that pit bulls have gotten this bad wrap because they're actually some of the smartest dogs around. It's just that when a moron owns one and teaches it it's OK to attack or growl at people, the dog will learn very fast that everyone but the owner is the enemy. As a discalimer, I agree that a person has every right t defend themselves, their family, and their property with lethal force as a LAST RESORT. That's why in Massachusetts, where I'm originally from, I have my card and a .22 Ruger. However, shooting the neighbors dogs at 4am in two different locations is quite obviously retaliation and not defense. Although, I understand the fact that the dogs should have absolutely been inside at that time and could have been alarming the neighbor by rampaging around the property. As an analogy though, it's statistically true that African-Americans commit 5-7 times more violent crimes compared to caucasians according to the DOD... http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm ...so by the logical continuation what does that say about most of the previous posts? And I don't feel any argument against higher level thinking and learning should come into play, because a dog is just as capable of learning wrong and right
/sudo apt-get upgrade checking account balance <enter>...?

www.Failblog.org

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 09:09 PM

Again, the comparisons between people and dogs. I just don't get it.

Dogs ≠ people!!!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2008, 09:26 PM

You could also interpret the thread title as asking if there are any people who are into bestiality with violent canines that reside in Dallas.
Actually, I thought it was about people from Dallas who are into violent bestilality with canines.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 09:48 PM

I am a novice among the master.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2008, 10:19 PM

Cool, I just learned to type that.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by BreadRecipe View Post
stuff without paragraph breaks
What?

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post

I do it with [copy] [paste].

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2008, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
What?
I see that you also cannot bring yourself to read large, unbroken blobs of text. Let's shoot 'im (I live 30 miles from the Texas border......close enough).

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
You get time and a half for wasting time here on overtime?
No, never.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post

On the Mac? Easy.
If you typed that on Windows then I'll be impressed.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2008, 11:16 AM

As I recall Sawyer took down a polar bear with a few shots from a handgun, so that's good enough for me.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2008, 11:42 AM

Very entertaining thread.

And if a dog attacked me, I would try to reason with it, even negotiate if I have to.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2008, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Very entertaining thread.

And if a dog attacked me, I would try to reason with it, even negotiate if I have to.

The implication is not that the dogs would invade Poland, but...ya know...

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2008, 11:50 AM

It was 1939 on that lawn, and Kristopher Harrison had the choice between gunfire and dishonor.

Cold Warrior
Aug 28, 2008, 12:32 PM

I swear I heard dubbya speak in this thread.. Freedom? Live in fear? We're talking about an isolated incident here! And the "violent" in the thread title was a reference to my wish that someone does something against him, as in "is there any violent activist living in Dallas who would be willing to seek revenge?". I wasn't taking about the dog. Sorry if it wasn't clear. Anyway, I'm out for the evening!
I'm not sure what you didn't get when a mod chided you for advocating violence, but I'll say it again: that doesn't fly here. I had hoped you'd stay away from that and the thread could be a good discussion about the larger issues of animal control, violent breeds, etc. Obviously I was as wrong as a gentle bulldog is normal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules