Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Fedora 10 + VMWare Tools = WTF

Fedora 10 + VMWare Tools = WTF
cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 01:11 PM

I'm an experience VMWare user and have been using Ubuntu since v5 on my PPC Mac (via dual boot), but I've been unable to install VMWare Tools into Fedora 10. I used the LiveCD and installed it using VMWare Fusion, then tried to install the tools as usual but it needed GCC, BinUtils, Make, and the Kernel Sources. No problem, got them but the Kernel sources "didn't match the Kernel" so it stopped installing VMWare Tools. This essentially renders Fedora 10 unusable.

Has anyone successfully installed Fedora 10 using VMWare Fusion and gotten VMWare Tools to install correctly? I want to migrate from Ubuntu 8.10 to Fedora 10 since Ubuntu is languishing a little and Fedora 10 rated a 10/10 on a Linux Mag I read. BTW, I'm going to retry with the Fedora 10 DVD but I imagine my luck won't change.

Thanks.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2009, 02:28 PM

From a shell prompt (as root), do:

Code:
rpm -q kernel-devel-`uname -r`
If you have this kernel-devel package installed, you should not get the error you were getting.

Use

Code:
yum install kernel-devel-`uname r`
to install the package if it's missing.

I would recommend updating to the latest kernel and rebooting before you attempt this, though. Saves the hassle of rebuilding VMware Tools again when you do your first 'yum update'

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 02:52 PM

Hmmm...I installed the kernel devel kit but your command is slightly different then the one I used so I'll try yours and report back. Thanks.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2009, 03:02 PM

Installed CentOS the other day - found it still didn't include GCC or make by default and promptly abandoned it.

I'm personally a great fan of Ubuntu - I used to be a fan of SuSE but I found the distributions got too big (DVD sized) for stuff I didn't need.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Installed CentOS the other day - found it still didn't include GCC or make by default and promptly abandoned it.
You're kidding, right? I'm glad the base distribution doesn't bloat itself with the compiler, libraries, and the rest of the toolchain. It can easily be added...

Code:
yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2009, 04:07 AM

I guess that's why different Linux distributions are available - different needs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2009, 06:20 PM

Fedora 10 works like a champ with VMWare Tools. Thanks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2009, 07:07 PM

I think specifically it is the kernel headers that are needed to compile the VMWare kernel modules. They are likely a part of the kernel devel RPM package as discussed above.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2009, 07:11 PM

And the installed version of the kernel headers must match the version of the running kernel...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2009, 08:09 PM

Have any of you guys suffered from the nasty clock skew issues in VMWare Fusion that exist under Server, ESX, and their other products?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Have any of you guys suffered from the nasty clock skew issues in VMWare Fusion that exist under Server, ESX, and their other products?
I've not incurred any clock issues with VMware Fusion, which hosts my win xp environment.
~Mike

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2009, 03:46 PM

It's a Linux specific bug... and only certain Linux dists/kernels are affected. There is an CentOS VM-specific kernel in one of the testing repos that addresses the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules