Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gamers' real names

Gamers' real names
ibook_steve
Jul 28, 2015, 10:21 PM

Watching Summer Games Done Quick (so amazing; do it now!) and the Nintendo World Championships last month, I'm struck by the fact that competitive gamers and speedrunners never use their real names. Any idea why this is? Is it too embarrassing to be listed as "John Smith (aka speedgonzales)" or whatever?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

reader50
Administrator
Jul 28, 2015, 10:58 PM

Gaming appeals to the child in us. But the adults don't want to admit to this. Or to those surprise headshots on the same team.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2015, 11:53 PM

In the online world you choose your own name(s), and that's where gaming came from. Neo is much cooler than Thomas A. Anderson.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 29, 2015, 09:10 AM

Here's a parallel for you: People in Hollywood often change their names because of SAG rules.They still accept emmys and oscars under those fake names, rather than their real ones.

Your gamertag is your gaming identity. It's how you are identified as you gain prominence. It would make no sense to suddenly use your real name at the highest level because no one (who is interested) would know who you are.

ibook_steve  (op)
Jul 29, 2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
In the online world you choose your own name(s), and that's where gaming came from. Neo is much cooler than Thomas A. Anderson.
Not in 1990. I was at the original Nintendo World Championships when they came to New Jersey. Nobody was online back then and everybody used their real names.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Pretty much this. I have no problem telling people my name, but my gamer handle is another entity. Online I am "Fatty" my longtime online contemporaries know my initials and birthdate, my friends know my real name. Despite that if I entered a tourney it would be as Fatty, it's me as the gamer, not as the Carpenter/Mac Enthusiast/Love-making expert.

Forum Links
Forum Rules