Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Worms 3D demo!

Worms 3D demo!
OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2004, 10:44 PM

Its out!

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=9406

Download is a bit slow... so I have not gotten to play it yet (half way done).

I have been waitin for this for a long time.

I already preordered the XBox version (for XBox Live) I will prolly buy the Mac one too.

Gotta support my worms!

-Owl

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2004, 10:51 PM

after all these years we finally get a worms game!
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 01:06 AM

cool! i thought it was that stupid game on the calculator at first. im downloading it right now.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 02:01 AM

Speaking of cool old games... Anyone have Lemmings for Mac OS X? That game makes me so happy... it just rocks. Little lemmings just walking in line and digging holes and stuff... yeah!

I recently found the PC version (the original... not 3D) on some freeware site (if anyone wants it), but I didn't find any for Mac.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 03:10 PM

Worms 3D is pretty good. The last good Worms game that I saw was Worms 2.

But how do you switch weapons in this demo?!?! Or can you even do that? The enemy completely wastes me every time, since they have have homing pigeons and air strikes and grenades and such...
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2004, 07:29 AM

Ya i cant figure out how to change weapons either... grrr...

Patrick

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2004, 09:00 AM

Right-click with the mouse to change weapons.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2004, 03:52 PM

Ahhh man, I spent hours at the original worms on my old Mac. What a great game. I'm gonna have to see if this one compares.....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Download is a bit slow...
Got that right

Hey [APi]TheMan, where did you get your signature? I'd like an adium 2 sig as well...

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2004, 06:55 PM

Change weapons with F1, F2, etc. Menu with F12.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 11, 2004, 08:58 PM

I hate Feral ports.

edit: looks to be a decent port beyond the ugly, very old skool installers.

edit #2: fake full screen...is this a new trend?
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Apr 11, 2004 at 10:51 PM. )

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 11, 2004, 09:41 PM

Well 3D versions of 2D classics will never beat the original thing...but this is pretty neat.

The controls are kinda shitty though.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2004, 12:13 AM

Yeah, the controls are quite rough. Great port though!

Hey, if you use a shotgun, go up to another worm (other team) and watch him with Q for awhile... They turn and look at you and do things...

I hope the XBox version is good... XBox live + worms will kick ass if so.

-Owl

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 12, 2004, 09:54 AM

Man, this no-app-bundle stance taken by Feral is unacceptable. When games were hybrid OS 9 and OS X apps, I could understand but now that games are OS X-only? Totally unacceptable.

Is Worms 3D an extendible game via plugins? If not, this would have been the perfect game to bundle the data inside an app bundle. The demo surely could have been bundled and no installer would have been necessary.

I'm sorry if this all sounds like crazy-talk...2 years ago, I think I accepted being ridiculed for this kind of stuff...but now that OS X is 3 years old? Come on now, Feral, get with the program. We're not on OS 9 anymore.

I congratulate them for the effort on making Worms 3D work well with Expos�...but this also means 'fake full screen' (as we've grown to call it in the Halo thread) and allows for MSN, Adium, Proteus notifications and iChat windows to unwantedly pop up during the game and other problems and I don't want to hear some stupid excuse that rhymes with checking your e-mail during play.

Please clean up your act, Feral...for the love of baby Jebus.
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Apr 12, 2004 at 10:00 AM. )

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Well 3D versions of 2D classics will never beat the original thing...but this is pretty neat.

The controls are kinda shitty though.
Try inverting the axis for 3rd person view, helps a bit.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Dair Grant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 11:52 AM

Man, this no-app-bundle stance taken by Feral is unacceptable. When games were hybrid OS 9 and OS X apps, I could understand but now that games are OS X-only? Totally unacceptable.
Feral are the publisher - the porting is actually done by ourselves at Zonic. Since your comments really relate to porting rather than publishing, I can supply a little background.

As it happens, we have some games in the pipeline where the decision to make them X-only has not yet been made. That, plus the potential need to issue patches for older games, means we're not quite at the stage of closing off 9 support completely (although it's getting closer: e.g., Worms 3D, XIII, and Republic are all 10.2-or-above). All of which is actually unrelated to bundles, as the packaged app format works fine under 9 as well (the experience was less smooth on 8.6, but 9 treats them the same way as X).

Moving to bundles is something we fully intend to do, but that means making some changes to our build process (and more importantly, fixing bugs in Windows code that makes assumptions about where files are located relative to the app). Making those changes is basically busy-time that takes time away from getting the next game out, and so it has to be prioritised accordingly (e.g., it's going to be lose if the alternative is working on some performance optimisations). But rest assured, it is on the list.

I congratulate them for the effort on making Worms 3D work well with Expos�...but this also means 'fake full screen' (as we've grown to call it in the Halo thread)
The issue of not capturing the screen is something we're aware of, and also something we plan to change over time.

However it's not quite a trivial switch, as there are issues with capturing a non-main display on some releases of X. The recommended workaround from Apple is to use a full-screen window, so this means we would write a bunch of new code and yet still have to retain the current implementation as a fall-back (i.e., put time into something that most people won't notice, some people will enjoy, and some people will never see).

Capturing also changes the way you receive keyboard events: they go to the app rather than the window, and our porting libraries are geared to mimicking the Direct3D model of events going to the window. All of which is fixable, but fixing this takes time away from fixing something else.

Please clean up your act, Feral...
Shipping software is all about priorities - in order to get something shipped, you need to decide what's truly important and what would just be nice to have. This is as true for games as it is anything else.

The nice-to-have-stuff is important, but it has to be worked on in the background between the more critical work. We are getting there (I actually switched one of our internal testing tools over to be a bundle last weekend, and fixed a bunch of path related issues this showed up in our Win32 library), but it takes time.

Hope that helps explain how these kind of decisions are made. If it doesn't, buy the retail game and I'll be happy to "explain" with a Bazooka.

-dair
Zonic

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 12, 2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Dair Grant:
Feral are the publisher - the porting is actually done by ourselves at Zonic. Since your comments really relate to porting rather than publishing, I can supply a little background.

As it happens, we have some games in the pipeline where the decision to make them X-only has not yet been made. That, plus the potential need to issue patches for older games, means we're not quite at the stage of closing off 9 support completely (although it's getting closer: e.g., Worms 3D, XIII, and Republic are all 10.2-or-above). All of which is actually unrelated to bundles, as the packaged app format works fine under 9 as well (the experience was less smooth on 8.6, but 9 treats them the same way as X).

The nice-to-have-stuff is important, but it has to be worked on in the background between the more critical work. We are getting there (I actually switched one of our internal testing tools over to be a bundle last weekend, and fixed a bunch of path related issues this showed up in our Win32 library), but it takes time.

Hope that helps explain how these kind of decisions are made. If it doesn't, buy the retail game and I'll be happy to "explain" with a Bazooka.

-dair
Zonic
Hehe...well, I'm actually glad to see that Zonic is aware of the issues (issues that I care about ) I mentioned. I understand that the priority is getting the game working and shipped. And because Worms 3D is working very well, my sheep and I will be happy to talk about those publisher/porter decisions.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 05:34 PM

The installer... doesn't work. It won't open.

ambush
Banned
Apr 12, 2004, 07:22 PM

YAY FOR WORMS

THIS FILE SHOULD BE A TORRENT!

a2daj
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
The installer... doesn't work. It won't open.
Make sure the file is downloaded completely and decompressed all the way.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2004, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
YAY FOR WORMS

THIS FILE SHOULD BE A TORRENT!
no kidding. Server #2 is a bit faster. but not much.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 12, 2004, 09:16 PM

I'd also like to show my gratitude for shipping Worms 3D very close to the PC release. Stuff like that really shows a company cares and is ready to take risks. I will most certainly buy Worms 3D when it's released.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
Make sure the file is downloaded completely and decompressed all the way.
Yeah, the .dmg mounts perfectly fine...

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2004, 11:36 PM

I'm very impressed. The controls suck and the included level is not easy, but it's all the fun of Worms I've missed all these years.

*IF* I can find a copy of the game I'll probably pick it up. Is it currently shipping?

What about mac <--> Win multiplayer?
if($Answer == "Yes")
Me = BuyNow;
else
Me = Probably pass;
( Last edited by juanvaldes; Apr 12, 2004 at 11:46 PM. )
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Apr 13, 2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
I'm very impressed. The controls suck and the included level is not easy, but it's all the fun of Worms I've missed all these years.

*IF* I can find a copy of the game I'll probably pick it up. Is it currently shipping?

What about mac <--> Win multiplayer?
if($Answer == "Yes")
Me = BuyNow;
else
Me = Probably pass;
The included level is not easy at all.

If you don't get Worm 1 onto that iceberg and punch that other worm off, Worm 1 doomed to die as soon as his turn is up. If you don't get him onto the iceberg, you might as well to as much damage possible on his 1 and only turn.

Then if you're unlucky, the computer might knock Worm 2 or 3 into the water with a well placed shot *before* you even get to play him, leaving you to play with only one worm against 5 (6 if you count the worm that's in a similar situation as Worm 1).

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2004, 09:56 AM

I am very excited about this game finally making it to the Mac. In the single player mode the game sucks, but multiplayer mode is a lot of fun (despite that fact that you need to pass the damn controller to other players on its PS2 port)! The demo was downloading uber-slow and I didn't find the answers to my simple questions on the office site, so I am asking them here:

1) How much horsepower does it really need?
2) Mac <-> Mac/PC or Mac <-> Mac only?

Thank you.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
I am very excited about this game finally making it to the Mac. In the single player mode the game sucks, but multiplayer mode is a lot of fun (despite that fact that you need to pass the damn controller to other players on its PS2 port)! The demo was downloading uber-slow and I didn't find the answers to my simple questions on the office site, so I am asking them here:

1) How much horsepower does it really need?
2) Mac <-> Mac/PC or Mac <-> Mac only?

Thank you.
It runs quite good in 1024x768 and Millions on my Powerbook G4 12 inch. 867mHz (Rev A) 640 MB of Ram.

It has beautiful graphics that are not too demanding...

Yes, it is Mac <-> Mac only do to hurdles that could not be overcome in the porting process. I think it uses Gameranger.

-Owl

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
It runs quite good in 1024x768 and Millions on my Powerbook G4 12 inch. 867mHz (Rev A) 640 MB of Ram.

It has beautiful graphics that are not too demanding...

Yes, it is Mac <-> Mac only do to hurdles that could not be overcome in the porting process. I think it uses Gameranger.

-Owl
Crap.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2004, 06:02 PM

the demo runs very nicely at 1280x854 at millions on my 1.25 15" powerbook.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2004, 07:22 PM

If you don't get Worm 1 onto that iceberg and punch that other worm off, Worm 1 doomed to die as soon as his turn is up. If you don't get him onto the iceberg, you might as well to as much damage possible on his 1 and only turn.

Then if you're unlucky, the computer might knock Worm 2 or 3 into the water with a well placed shot *before* you even get to play him, leaving you to play with only one worm against 5 (6 if you count the worm that's in a similar situation as Worm 1).
How the hell can you get worm 1 onto the iceberg?? I always lose that worm, sometimes one of the others as well. I've come close to winning a couple times by bringing it down to one-on-one, but I always get tossed into the ocean by an airstrike. The three worms on the titanic are so well places its hard to knock em off until u can do an air strike.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 10:02 PM

Yeah, I can't beat it either...
Is there any way to make it not quit when you lose the game?

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2004, 08:21 PM

It's possible to get Worm 1 onto the iceberg? How the hell is that possible? I just downloaded the demo and I'm totally sucking. I desperately need some tips or a tutorial.

Forum Links
Forum Rules