Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Let's settle this once and for all -- Can you receive calls while surfing over EDGE?

View Poll Results: Did you receive your test call while surfing over EDGE?
Poll Options:
Yes, my iPhone rang normally. 8 votes (44.44%)
No, the call was sent immediately to voicemail. 10 votes (55.56%)
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll
Let's settle this once and for all -- Can you receive calls while surfing over EDGE?
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2007, 09:24 PM

I've read multiple people claiming that they can't receive phone calls while surfing the net using EDGE. They say that the call goes immediately to voicemail. This has not been my experience at all. I've purposely tested this several times, and I've also been surfing via edge and coincidentally gotten phone calls several times. I'm sure that I was actually downloading a web site at the time the calls came in, as well. For example, I just tested this a few minutes ago using the link from the iPhone bandwidth test thread. It downloads data for an extended period of time, so it should make it easy to check that you're actually accessing the web when doing the test.

To test this, do the following:

Go into the iPhone settings and disable wifi to make sure you're using EDGE.
Open Safari and start downloading a site (use the link above or any other site that takes a while to download).
Call your iPhone from another phone.

Did your phone ring, or did it go directly to voicemail? I've tried this half a dozen or more times, and every single time my phone has run normally.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 11:00 PM

I can't imagine that all calls go to voicemail without even giving you the opportunity to answer while using the data service... I've never used a phone that crippled, even the free-with-contract ones.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2007, 11:55 PM

I just tried it with Edge and WIFI and both calls went through and after hanging up it went back to the same site I was on.

emerrill
Jul 11, 2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I can't imagine that all calls go to voicemail without even giving you the opportunity to answer while using the data service... I've never used a phone that crippled, even the free-with-contract ones.
This has nothing to do with being crippled, it is a normal limitation of many GSM/EDGE chipsets.

My call went to voice mail. I tried it with homedepot.com (because it is a horribly slow/large site). I also just tried it with the speed test link (112.9Kbps), and still no ring.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 10:09 AM

Rang both times I tried it - even went to homedepot.com and it worked there too. Both times I was presented with a normal call pop up, and when I was done it went right back to the website.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

emerrill
Jul 11, 2007, 10:15 AM

This almost makes me wonder if they are using more then one revision of a chip-set, or if it has to do with what towers you are on.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2007, 10:15 AM

Could this be some sort of regional difference? There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to prevent a call from coming through.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2007, 12:02 PM

Question: Is there any visible indication that you're in an EDGE network? I thought I had read that an E lights up on the iPhone screen when you're using it.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2007, 12:18 PM

There isn't an indicator that shows for sure that you're actively downloading over EDGE, but there is an E icon that shows you are not connected to a wifi access point, and that any network activity will occur over EDGE.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 12:52 PM

Sounds to me like the people answering "no" are not in an EDGE serviced area.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2007, 12:55 PM

How could they be surfing over EDGE then?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2007, 01:00 PM

That's what I was wondering, and why I asked about the 'E.' I presume the phone will work over less-than-EDGE, like GPRS or just plain vanilla GSM, depending on where you are.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
How could they be surfing over EDGE then?
They wouldn't be - it'd be GPRS.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2007, 01:49 PM

Hmm. I wonder what the indicator would display then. All I've ever seen is the E, but that may be because I have EDGE coverage everywhere that I've been going.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 02:43 PM

From what I read if you are on edge you will get an E logo as seen here:

If not you may see nothing or idealy it should switch to GPRS logo.

With my blackberry pearl you CANNOT send emails when on a call as it cannot use both at once. You are able to send text messages while on a call though.

In almost every review I have read if the iPhone they say you cannot surf or email over edge while on a call . This must be the true as other phones are the same way. I also don't see how it would not allow anything outgoing but still allow incoming.

The only thing I can think of is either when surfing the iPhone still allows information that in incoming call is trying to get through or it somehow slips through the data packets when downloading a website and there is some tiny delays in getting information that lets the call sneak in.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2007, 02:45 PM

On GPRS there is no icon - I slip in and out of Edge at my house and I notice the E disappear.

You cannot talk and surf at the same time. However, while you're surfing calls will interrupt and you can take them, but once talking you cannot go back to surfing or emailing. Only after the call has completed can you do that.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 11, 2007, 02:49 PM

It's true that you can't surf on EDGE while talking on the phone, but I don't see that as a major problem. Not getting incoming calls because you were surfing would be.

emerrill
Jul 11, 2007, 03:38 PM

While im not sure if this is the case, it is possible this is a setting/feature on the AT&T network.

According to this thread over at macrumors, AT&T is expecting Apple to fix this in a software update, because EDGE should be able to be interrupted by a call:
Calls interrupt EDGE -- yes or no? - Mac Forums

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by emerrill View Post
This has nothing to do with being crippled, it is a normal limitation of many GSM/EDGE chipsets.
Right, that's what I was implying. You can't make a voice call and use EDGE at the same time, but even when using EDGE you'll get notification of a call and be able to suspend your EDGE session to answer the call.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
It's true that you can't surf on EDGE while talking on the phone, but I don't see that as a major problem. Not getting incoming calls because you were surfing would be.
Remember the the january keynote where steve did a demo of being on a call with Phil and looking up a location in Google Maps and emailed him a pic all at the same time?

It's a good thing he was in range of the Wifi they set up....

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2007, 03:17 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules