Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > To lighten the mood...

To lighten the mood...
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 01:17 PM

It's way to intense in here...

Here is a fun little story with the candidates having some fun... maybe it can rub off on us as well, and we can all lighten up a bit...

McCain, Obama roast each other at charity dinner

NEW YORK (AP) -- John McCain and Barack Obama swapped self-deprecating jokes instead of campaign jabs Thursday night, the Republican saying he had replaced his team of senior advisers with "Joe the Plumber" while the Democrat claimed his own "greatest strength would be my humility."

Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama stepped off the campaign trail to appear at a charity dinner on Thursday.

Said Obama: "Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father, Jor-el, to save the planet Earth," a reference to Superman.

McCain joked that Democrats had already begun attacking Joe the Plumber, the Ohio man whom he referred to in Wednesday night's debate, and claimed "that this honest, hardworking small businessman could not possibly have enough income to face a tax increase under the Obama plan."

"What they don't know is that Joe the Plumber recently signed a very lucrative contract with a wealthy couple to handle all the work on all seven of their houses," McCain said, drawing laughter with the reference to his property holdings.

The two men spoke at the 63rd annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner, a charity event organized by the Catholic Archdiocese of New York for the benefit of needy children. An estimated $4 million was raised.

The event often draws politicians as speakers and, by long tradition, presidential candidates appear as headliners every four years. In this case, the evening of humor came one night after an intense final debate of the presidential campaign.

McCain lampooned Obama's primary opponent, Hillary Rodham Clinton, as well as himself.

"Even in this room full of proud Manhattan Democrats, I can't shake the feeling that some people here are pulling for me," he said, before adding: "I'm delighted to see you here tonight, Hillary."

He also said Obama "is ready for any contingency, even the possibility of a sudden and dramatic market rebound. I'm told that at the first sign of a recovery, he will suspend his campaign and fly immediately to Washington to address the crisis," said the Republican, who drew criticism when he suspended his campaign a few weeks ago and flew to Washington during the crisis.

Obama also poked fun at his Democratic National Convention acceptance speech, which he delivered before a crowd of tens of thousands at an outdoor football stadium on an elaborately constructed stage.

"I was originally told we'd be able to move this outdoors to Yankee Stadium," he said of the dinner.

Then, pausing and looking around, he said, "Could somebody tell me what happened to the Greek columns that I requested?"

Both men closed with compliments.

McCain praised Obama for his "great skill, energy, and determination. It's not for nothing that he's inspired so many folks in his own party and beyond," he said of his rival, bidding to become the nation's first black president. "I can't wish my opponent luck but I do wish him well."

Obama said few Americans had served their country with "the same honor and distinction" as McCain, a former Navy pilot who was a prisoner of war for more than five years in Vietnam.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/....ap/index.html

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 01:19 PM

I have faith that the PL can turn this into an ugly thread.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2008, 01:33 PM

My contribution:

-t

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 01:35 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 17, 2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I have faith that the PL can turn this into an ugly thread.
Always the optimist, aren't we.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Always the optimist, aren't we.
The Audacity of HopeĀ®

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 01:49 PM

McCain and Obama, wild and crazy guys.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 02:58 PM

Panem et circenses.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
My contribution:

-t
Best. Graph. Ever.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 12:02 PM

http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_C...101708/769822/

Not his best work, but still worth a watch.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2008, 01:30 AM

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Oct 20, 2008 at 10:14 AM. )

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2008, 09:30 PM

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2008, 11:24 PM

Watch the latest South Park here...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules